• Yanks Enter Bay Watch?

Posted by on December 15th, 2009 · Comments (11)

This C.J. was like no Kazakh woman I have ever seen. She had golden hairs, teeth as white as pearls, and the…

Via TSN

Free agent outfielder Jason Bay is drawing interest from his former team’s biggest rival. A source told the Boston Herald that the Yankees have contacted Bay’s representatives.

That source added that Bay is expected to make a decision about his future in the next couple of days.

The Mets, Mariners and Angels are considered the front-runners for Bay, but the Yankees’ interest in first baseman Mark Teixeira didn’t surface until just before they inked him to a deal last offseason. So, the World Series champions can’t be dismissed.

According to the Boston Herald, one team is believed to have made Bay a five-year offer. That is something the Red Sox shied away from doing because of concerns over Bay’s health (he had shoulder surgery in 2003 and knee surgery in 2007). With free agent outfielder Mike Cameron expected to finalize a two-year deal with Boston soon, Bay is unlikely to return to the Red Sox.

Personally, I would be shocked if the Yankees offer Bay a deal better than he would get from a team like the Mets (at this point). Of course, this assumes that the Mets have some money – and that could be a bad assumption.

Betcha the Yankees, if they can’t get Johnny Damon to crawl back to a low-ball offer, end up going with Melky Cabrera in left next season – or go for another cheapie like Reed Johnson. After all, according to Brian Cashman, pitching is the Yankees priority this off-season, right? (And, we’re just waiting for him to get some – outside of re-signing Andy Pettitte.)

Comments on Yanks Enter Bay Watch?

1. clintfsu813
      December 15th, 2009 | 12:00 pm

The more I hear about Bay’s injury concerns, the more I dont want to touch this guy. At least not for more than 3 years. If Boston didnt want him…there must be a good reason.

2. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 12:01 pm

Can someone explain to me why you would put Melky in left? Would it not make more sense to put him in right, move swish to left? That would give us the best possible OF defense out of the 3 and also allow us to utilize Melkys arm.

3. GDH
      December 15th, 2009 | 12:14 pm

We don’t need Bay and I hope this is just a nudge for Johnny Damon. I’m starting to think we don’t need him either – with Grandy on board the need is really only a #2 hitter for lefties. I’d rather see the money or a trade go to shoring up the rotation and maybe adding an arm for insurance in the BP. Burnett will need to step up, because it looks pretty lean for #2 or #3 starters out there. Sign Justin or Sheets quickly.

@ Corey:
      I don’t have any problem with that OF, provided Swish can find his way out to LF 8 or 9 times a night. It’s a pretty good defensive OF – not exceptional, but solid.

4. YankCrank
      December 15th, 2009 | 12:34 pm

Corey wrote:

Bingo. I’ve been saying this all offseason. Swish’s best outfield position is LF and Melky has the arm to play RF. This makes the most sense.

5. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 12:44 pm

GDH wrote:

If Damon did it, I’m sure Swisher can figure it out.

6. GDH
      December 15th, 2009 | 12:52 pm

He tends to lose his bearings as he nears second base, I mean. I believe he’s fine once he gets out there though.

7. butchie22
      December 15th, 2009 | 2:08 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Corey wrote:

I saw Swisher Sweet AKA The Baseless Runner in left with the Oakland Pathetics and he looked pretty good out there. As you know I then saw him with Chicago Pale Hose at center and he didn’t! I don’t think it will come to Melky “I love the Womens AKA Mr Mary Carey ” and Swish. The Yanks will probably bring Damonic back, now that Matt “Overrated and Overpaid” Cameron is singed by the Red Pox.

clintfsu813 wrote:

Our Man in Tallahasse , that is the million dollar question. Defensively, he’s not a great and paying a 16 million dollar premium per year for 5 years is much too much for him no matter how great he is in the Green Montrosity called Fenway Dump.

8. #15
      December 15th, 2009 | 2:54 pm

Mix and match Melky-Grandy-Swishy any way you want, with Dash Gardner as the 4, and it’s a better outfield than we’ve had in a while. Still think we need Damonic in the 2 hole as the DH-5th outfielder (and another starter, of course). I don’t think Bay is the answer unless we pull in the left field wall about 30 feet. Too much $$$. Use it for an arm.

9. BOHAN
      December 15th, 2009 | 4:42 pm

just read this on mlbtraderumors.com
      2:35pm: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News hears that the Yankees have no interest in signing Bay long-term. They don’t have confidence in his ability to play the outfield in a few years. Another source tells ESPN.com’s Buster Olney that there’s no chance the Yankees bid on Bay or Matt Holliday.

thank god dont want either theyre to much money

10. Evan3457
      December 16th, 2009 | 1:44 am

Corey wrote:

Because left field is so much larger than RF in Yankee Stadium that you need someone with a range near a centerfielder’s to cover it all. Swisher doesn’t have that; Melky does.

Now, if you want to switch them…wait until they play in Fenway Opening Night.

11. clintfsu813
      December 16th, 2009 | 8:12 am

wait until they play in Fenway Opening Night

Man, I cant wait for this. I would love to open the season with a nice sweep or even 2 out of 3 at the Fens. And the only thing better than beating The Lackey in a LAA uniform…doing it when hes in a BOTOX uniform. (Channeling Butchie there :) )