• News On #13 And… #14?

Posted by on December 17th, 2009 · Comments (14)

Via Brian Costa -

At a news conference at Yankee Stadium, Granderson tried on his new pinstriped jersey with several Yankees executives and players at his side. Manager Joe Girardi, GM Brian Cashman and new teammates Alex Rodriguez and CC Sabathia were among those seated next to Granderson.

Granderson will wear No. 14 instead of his old number, 28, because Girardi will likely take that number this year. Girardi wore No. 27 as the Yankees sought and eventually won their 27th title.

“I know how tradition is and superstition is from an outside standpoint, so I don’t want to mess with that,” Granderson said. “Hopefully he’ll continue to wear it and we’ll move forward and keep on knocking people’s numbers out of the way.”

As expected, [Alex] Rodriguez said he will not need a second surgery on his right hip. After being re-examined by his hip specialist, Dr. Marc Philippon, Rodriguez learned Monday that no further surgery would be needed. “You can never say never, but I think he is saying for the immediate future, the next two or three years,” Rodriguez said. A-Rod said he will not need to see Philippon again this offseason and has been cleared to begin his usual offseason workouts.

#14? Other Yankees to wear that number:

Kevin Thompson
    Russ Van
    Ed Wells
    Butch Wensloff
    Enrique Wilson
    Gene Woodling

Wow. So, A-Rod is now free of Dr. Philippon and Kate Hudson? I’m tellin’ ya…any day now he’s going to show up wearing Lenny Kosnowski’s “Lone Wolf” jacket…

Comments on News On #13 And… #14?

1. Corey
      December 17th, 2009 | 3:15 pm

God, this pisses me off:
      ======================
      ======================
      Would it not make more sense to get the second surgery, fix it completely, NOW? Why wait 2 or 3 years when his body might not be able to bounce back as fast (or maybe at all)? ARGH.

2. BOHAN
      December 17th, 2009 | 3:41 pm

@ Corey:
      sometimes going in and fixing something that doesnt need to be fixed can cause more harm then good. it could become even weaker. surgeries arent full proof. dont fix whats not broken but i understand what your saying.

3. Corey
      December 17th, 2009 | 4:00 pm

BOHAN wrote:

While I agree with what your saying, if the general consensus is that he’s going to end up needing another surgery at some point during this ridiculous contract, why wait? It’s only going to get harder and harder to come back, ya know?

4. December 17th, 2009 | 6:50 pm

Just dont have a good overall feeling abt Granderson… something is just not right.. dont feel too excited, i still feel we gave a little too much… is Granderson really worth IPK, AJax, Coke… forget Coke, IPK if he bounces back could have had a better trade value… i atleast wanted to see AJax suit up for us once…. followed him too long to not get a chance.. but Granderson’s splits are scary bad… i hope the faithful dont expect the world out of him… it wud be better for him if the Yanks get a bigger name this offseason… i see a lot of D-Train in Granderson, sizzling starts but fizzling ends.. i hope not… when i see Granderson i somehow scream “hammy”.. what have u done to me Steve.. :-)

5. Corey
      December 17th, 2009 | 7:11 pm

srivinodh wrote:

You can still see him when the Yankees beat the tigers. :)

6. December 17th, 2009 | 7:23 pm

@ Corey:

Yeah… hope he does well for them… but we win the big ones

7. BOHAN
      December 17th, 2009 | 7:30 pm

srivinodh wrote:

love the comparison knew there was someone to compare him to couldnt think of it. hope he proves me wrong and IF im wrong ill admit.

8. Evan3457
      December 17th, 2009 | 7:34 pm

Yanks about to sign Nick Johnson at $5.5 million. I sort of get it, but I don’t. He’s a good puzzle piece, but I don’t see how he fits the puzzle, other than the price.
      (via George King, Ken Davidoff, and others).

9. #15
      December 17th, 2009 | 7:43 pm

Boy, 5.5 for Nick and Matsui went for ~6.5. I’d have taken Godzilla any day given that comparison.

10. December 17th, 2009 | 8:28 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

(via George King, Ken Davidoff, and others).

OBP, Johnson fits very well in the 2 spot, which could signal that the Yankees are moving on without Damon. That’s the main positive I see with Johnson. Johnson had the 3rd highest OBP last season behind Pujols and Mauer. The hope for Johnson seems to be the same for Matsui this past season: off the field, just DHing, reduce injury risk.

That’s all I got.

11. #15
      December 17th, 2009 | 9:15 pm

Brent wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

OBP, Johnson fits very well in the 2 spot, which could signal that the Yankees are moving on without Damon. That’s the main positive I see with Johnson. Johnson had the 3rd highest OBP last season behind Pujols and Mauer. blockquote>

Sure, but I really like more speed at the top. Nick will get on often, but he’ll also clog the bases. Damon still offers that. With Nick, Damon would only fit in left field and the defense declines. Boras appears to have overplayed his hand with the Yankees, again. Are we on the cusp of JD throwing him under the bus, calling Warren Buffet, and doing his own deal?

12. MJ
      December 17th, 2009 | 9:34 pm

Nick Johnson is a waste of time. He’s never healthy enough to play a full season. Although I loved Matsui and I’ll miss him, anyone that would choose Matsui over Nick Johnson does so only for sentimental reasons since, truthfully, Matsui had become quite injury-prone over the course of his second contract in New York.

Replacing Matsui with Johnson improves the team on paper only…since the Yanks will still need a DH to replace Johnson for at least 30-50% of the season while he mends on the DL.

Apart from the Granderson trade, Cashman’s had a very “meh” winter. Not impressed.

13. Evan3457
      December 17th, 2009 | 10:59 pm

MJ wrote:

Well, not being able to DH full time might actually be a better fit, in terms of wanting to DH Posada more. I dunno. More playing time for Cervelli. If that’s a good thing. He’s also a better backup for Tex, just in case. Other than that I don’t see how he fits, other than salary as I mentioned above.

He’s got the OBP to hit 2nd, that’s for sure. The speed thing is an issue, because he will set up an awful lot of GIDP ground balls for Tex and A-Rod. He’ll be on base a ton, though, and they will be able to pile up the RBI.

But I still don’t see who’s hitting 5th…the choice would appear to be Cano, who’s awful with RISP, and flopped when they tried him there last year…or Granderson, who you can’t possibly hit in that spot vs. lefties, or an aging Posada, whose BB rate dropped and K rate went up last year.

Johnson can hit. He’s not awful. But I don’t see how the pieces fit better with him here.

14. January 3rd, 2010 | 11:14 am

[...] Last Spring, Alex Rodriguez (herein “A-Rod”) had major surgery to repair a tear in the labrum of his right hip. He returned on schedule from that procedure and performed outstanding this season. In fact, he healed so well that a follow-up surgery, scheduled for the end of last year, was called off by his doctor. [...]