• Yanks Deal For Starting Pitcher Closer Than It Appears?

Posted by on December 22nd, 2009 · Comments (26)

Harang? Nope, Lurch…but something might be cooking…

Howard Megdal sums up the buzz tonight about a deal by the Yankees to get a starting pitcher.

Mark Feinsand was told “it’s not a salary dump deal.” If true, this makes it interesting…

Tom Gorzelanny? Brian Bannister? David Bush? If true, that’s not too exciting…

Stay tuned…

Comments on Yanks Deal For Starting Pitcher Closer Than It Appears?

1. 77yankees
      December 22nd, 2009 | 12:56 am

Just speculation, but perhaps it’s a three team deal where the Yanks will get Javy Vazquez and then wheel him off for a similar experienced starter?

2. leutbneot
      December 22nd, 2009 | 4:43 am

I’m sorry, but I have to post this. I really don’t understand where the writer of this site is coming from. I hope to hell that Cash isn’t so goddamn stupid.

3. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:21 am

The speculation is spreading.

Buster Olney is tweeting that Cash is a big game hunter and may be after Josh Johnson.

Joel Sherman sees the connection in Atlanta and thinks that Javy Vazquez is coming and Swisher/Melky are going.

I stayed up half the night last night waiting for news that never came. Watch Brian Bannister be coming lol

4. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:25 am

leutbneot wrote:

I’m sure Steve has had other bloggers attack him for his thoughts, but it’s easy to criticize from afar. The blogger should comment on this blog and discuss his disagreement instead of causing such a ruckus elsewhere.

We all disagree, but no need to write up a “dumbest idea ever” post.

5. clintfsu813
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:26 am

I stayed up half the night last night waiting for news that never came.

I was up till almost 2 waiting also..damn teasers, lol

6. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:33 am

Joel Sherman just said Yanks are close to acquiring Javy Vazquez. What we give up, I have no idea.

Boy will all the Vazquez haters be running wild on this site :)

7. clintfsu813
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:39 am

Its lookin like Melky and Dunn…not sure how I feel about this…

8. MJ
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:41 am

YankCrank wrote:

That would be beyond idiotic. Not because Javy isn’t a fine pitcher, but because it would weaken the lineup and outfield even more. A league-average pitcher is a fine get, but not at the cost of your starting LF and RF. That’s just plain effin’ dumb.

9. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:44 am

@ clintfsu813:

Swapping a 4th outfielder type and a lefty reliever for a starter who has never made fewer than 32 starts in a season and had 15 wins and a K/9 of almost 9 last year? And he’s our 3rd or 4th starter?

I know exactly how I feel about this :)

10. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:45 am

Deal is Yanks get Javier Vazquez and lefty reliever Boone Logan for Melky, Mike Dunn and a prospect.

11. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:49 am

Just in case anybody was wondering, Javy has one year left on his current deal. He makes $11.5 million in ’10 and is a free agent following this season.

That may be why we gave up very little for a fantastic arm.

12. MJ
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:50 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Its lookin like Melky and Dunn…not sure how I feel about this…

Why? Melky sucks and Dunn sports a grotesque 4.0 BB/9 in 375.1 innings in the minor leagues.

13. BRNXBMR
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:52 am

I understand Atlanta has a plethora of starters but I am worried about his health/workload. Anyone have a innings/pitch count handy?

14. bfriley76
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:54 am

Even if you’re a Vasquez hater (and I’m not) I can’t see how you can pan this deal, if this actually goes through. And if it does, do the Yankees revisit signing Damon to play left?

15. MJ
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:54 am

Never in my wildest dreams could I have seen this trade coming.

Cashman is truly a stealthy ninja. It blows my mind.

16. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:55 am

MJ wrote:

Never in my wildest dreams could I have seen this trade coming.

Cashman is truly a stealthy ninja. It blows my mind.

You can say that again.

17. BRNXBMR
      December 22nd, 2009 | 9:57 am

Sorry I have a hangover from the last time he was in Pinstripes

18. MJ
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:02 am

MJ wrote:

Never in my wildest dreams could I have seen this trade coming.
      Cashman is truly a stealthy ninja. It blows my mind.

YankCrank wrote:

You can say that again.

MJ wrote:

Never in my wildest dreams could I have seen this trade coming.
      Cashman is truly a stealthy ninja. It blows my mind.

19. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:05 am

So how long until we get the, “But he was awful the second half of ’04 and can’t handle New York!” post?

Over/under 1 hour?

20. clintfsu813
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:11 am

Ok Ok..im becoming more and more ok with this move. Kepner threw out some nice stats on his tweet.

21. MJ
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:11 am

YankCrank wrote:

So how long until we get the, “But he was awful the second half of ‘04 and can’t handle New York!” post?
      Over/under 1 hour?

Post? Over an hour since Steve has to settle into the office and usually doesn’t post much from work.

Comments? Under an hour, absolutely.

For the record, Javier Vazquez truly is nothing more than a league-average pitcher in the AL. He had a career year and will probably come down a fair bit. He’s probably not as good as John Lackey as AL pitchers go. But that being said, the Yanks added a guy that is the definition of 200-inning workhorse. At the very least, they added depth to the rotation (if not exceptional performance) and depth is the name of the game. It certainly beats spending the same money on Ben Sheets and hoping he can even get through 130 innings.

Damon should absolutely be brought back to play LF now. The Yanks cannot have Gardner playing every day. End of story.

22. MJ
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:15 am

Check that…the Yanks are including Arodys Vizcaino as the prospect.

Sorry but your 3rd best prospect as ranked by BA? Suddenly this deal is a little less favorable than I thought. He was considered one of the best arms in the entire system.

23. yanksofny
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:17 am

not sure what the correct deal is…

ken rosenthal said it’s a two for one

Sherman has it as three for two swap….

24. MJ
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:17 am

This is what BA said about Arodys Vizcaino:

Background: When the Yankees spend big money during the international summer signing season, they usually give it to position players, such as Gary Sanchez, Wily Mo Pena and Jesus Montero. Vizcaino received the largest signing bonus the club has given a pitcher in that market, signing for $800,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2007. He dominated the short-season New York-Penn League last summer before a muscle strain in his back ended his season in August.

Strengths: Vizcaino has the most electric arm in the system outside of Andrew Brackman, and he’s much more polished. Vizcaino sits at 90-94 mph with his fastball and regularly runs it up to 96. His quick arm generates easy velocity, and the ball seems to explode out of his hand. His best pitch is a hammer curveball that he throws with solid command. Club officials say his curve is second only to A.J. Burnett’s in the organization. He has a sturdy, durable body.

Weaknesses: Vizcaino’s changeup has improved but still grades as below average. He’s raw and has plenty of work to do on subtle skills such as setting up hitters, fielding his position and holding runners. He also could have a more mature mound presence.

The Future: Given Vizcaino’s youth and ceiling, New York will handle him carefully. He figures to go to low Class A Charleston for 2010, starting in the first half and relieving in the second half to keep his innings from piling up.

25. YankCrank
      December 22nd, 2009 | 10:19 am

@ MJ:

I meant comment, sorry, and i’ll also take the under.

I also agree that we won’t be getting the sub-3 ERA Javy that dominated last year. What we’re getting is probably a above league average arm who will throw 200 innings in a year where any of AJ, Burnett, Hughes or Joba can spend time on the DL (because they have a history of getting hurt). He strikes people out too which gives us our 3rd (4th if you count Joba) strikeout arm in our rotation. We also only have him for one year, which is a short commitment.

I like this deal, and Yankee fans should too.

As for Damon, we’ll see, but I don’t want him anywhere near LF anymore. Check these out:

2007 UZR/150 in LF: +37.4
      2008 UZR/150 in LF: +11.6 (-25.8 from previous year)
      2009 UZR/150 in LF: -12.1 (-23.7 from previous year)

His defense is declining fast, as in the plane is tumbling down at record speed. I don’t want this man in left field at Yankee Stadium.

26. December 22nd, 2009 | 10:26 am

Hey all – since the deal is done, I’m going to close comments here – use this entry:

to discuss the trade – thanks