• Happy Holidays!

Posted by on December 23rd, 2009 · Comments (70)

Barring any breaking and hot Yankees-related news, I do not expect to be posting many entries to WasWatching.com over the next few days. Therefore, I wanted to take this time now to wish all the readers of this blog a safe and happy holiday season. It’s been 56 months now that WasWatching.com has been up and running, and, I’ve truly enjoyed all the feedback to this site and its content that you have provided through the years. Thanks for that wonderful present! I hope you all have as much fun (as I’ve had here so far) during your holiday observance.

Look for more stuff after Christmas!

Also, I want to make a special “shout-out” to the following frequent “comment-makers” that we have at WasWatching.com:

MJ, Corey, clintfsu813, 77yankees, Evan3457, YankCrank, GDH, Raf, bfriley76, G.I. Joey, #15, Scout, Pat F, cr1, yanksofny, srivinodh, Brent, butchie22, ken, BOHAN, Jake1, Tresh Fan, Rich, mondoas, JeremyM, sean mcnally, Rob Abruzzese, lisaswan, K-V-C, Pete, jrk, antone, OldYanksFan, Joseph M and redbug

My sincere thanks to those mentioned above for all their comments, etc., this year. You’ve added a lot to this site and it’s appreciated!

Comments on Happy Holidays!

1. Corey
      December 24th, 2009 | 4:01 pm

If we’re talking independent leagues, I’ve been to see a few Long Island Ducks games.

2. Scout
      December 24th, 2009 | 5:34 pm

Impressive list, but I recommend Skylands in North Jersey. The Cards used to have their NY-Penn affiliate there, and it was great. Now it is an indy league team. @ Raf:

3. Evan3457
      December 24th, 2009 | 8:54 pm

Season’s Greetings to all.

Enjoy the holidays with those you love, and those who love you.

4. Pat F
      December 25th, 2009 | 12:04 am

happy holidays to all! steve, thank you for another year of this fantastic site, and the time and effort you put into making it such!

5. butchie22
      December 25th, 2009 | 2:08 pm

Merry XMAS and Happy New Year to everyone who posts. Except for that one odious poster who is my eternal nemesis….all of you had to know it’s not a “Butch” post without a patina of cynical negativity,mates!

6. MJ
      December 25th, 2009 | 5:10 pm

@ butchie22:
      Are you referring to me?

7. Corey
      December 25th, 2009 | 5:12 pm

MJ wrote:

@ butchie22:
      Are you referring to me?

No, he’s not. I forget who it was exactly, but it wasn’t you.

8. MJ
      December 25th, 2009 | 5:15 pm

@ Raf:
      If we’re adding minor league stadiums, I’ve been to:

Richmond Braves (AAA)
      Norfolk Tides (AAA)
      Scranton Yankees (AAA)
      Trenton Thunder (AA)
      Binghamton Mets (AA)
      Brooklyn Cyclones (SS-A)
      Staten Island Yanks (SS-A)

The Richmond Braves no longer exist, in large part because the city of Richmond refused to build the Braves a fancy new park. Amazing to think that even minor league teams play major league games of civic extortion for new stadiums…

Also, when I went to the Binghamton Mets game (vs. Portland Sea Dogs), I witnessed my only no-hitter. August 2, 2003. Pretty neat.

9. MJ
      December 25th, 2009 | 5:16 pm

@ Corey:
      OK then. I know Butch and I don’t always agree but I only have one “enemy” on this site and she only shows up when I talk about beanballs.

YankCrank knows who I’m talking about but I forgot her name.

10. Corey
      December 25th, 2009 | 5:31 pm

MJ wrote:

Also, when I

Yea, I remember that as well. I’ve been to one no hitter, and that was Doc Gooden’s in 96

11. December 25th, 2009 | 8:20 pm

Hey, thanks to all for the kind words!

See, you guys…that’s what I meant the other day:

Hanging with ya’ll is the best! Thanks for that!

12. December 25th, 2009 | 8:22 pm
    13. butchie22
      December 26th, 2009 | 12:03 am

MJ wrote:

@ Corey:
      YankCrank knows who I’m talking about but I forgot her name.

MJ, you are not my sworn nemesis and anti-Butch on this site! I knew that someone would respond to that post who I didn’t despise! 😉 Even though I disagree very passionately with many people on this site in the end, I love the give and take/thrust and parry of it all. The entity I am referring to is a loathsome and misbegotten flea who was immature and unrepentant in their attack of me. That worm is a Red Pox fan….. go figure! I rip the Yanks and Red Sox on an almost equal basis and the dolt tries to misquote me and was hoisted upon his own petard for his idiotic efforts. Funny how I haven’t seen that moron since the so-called gluttonous Yankees have won it all……he must be somewhere near the pathetic Green Montrosity Park AKA the Fens drowning his sorrows in some wretched ” Chowdahhead” watering hole.

December 26th, 2009 | 3:06 am

MJ wrote:

Yep, that’s part of the reason there were so many minor league teams that have moved. Cities had to bring their ballparks up to a certain standard, and for whatever reason, they refused to. That’s how Utica, Albany-Colonie, among other cities lost their teams.

December 26th, 2009 | 3:07 am

@ Corey:
      I made it to Doc’s no-hitter and Cone’s perfect game.

December 26th, 2009 | 3:08 am

Corey wrote:

MJ wrote:
      @ butchie22:
      Are you referring to me?

No, he’s not. I forget who it was exactly, but it wasn’t you.

OnceIwasAYankeesFan, I think it was.

17. MJ
      December 26th, 2009 | 8:44 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Interesting…Richmond goes from a AAA city to a AA city. I guess some revenue in that ballpark is better than no revenue from an empty ballpark. I do have to say, however, that it would behoove Richmond to spruce the place up a little bit. It’s not horrible but it’s definitely a little on the old side.

Also, I’ve always wondered why teams would have their farm systems so far away from home. The Blue Jays in Las Vegas (AAA) and the Giants in Richmond (AA) just makes no sense to me.

@ butchie22:
      Butch, good to hear that it ain’t me!

@ Raf:
      You lucky dog, to have seen not one no-hitter but two…and a perfect-o, no less!

December 26th, 2009 | 10:44 am

@ MJ:
      It should’ve been 4. Had it not been beanie baby day (at the height of the beanie baby insanity) I would’ve gone to Wells’ perfecto. I was planning to go to Indians-Yanks in 93 (I had made just about every weekend game up to that point), but my boss was bitching that I kept coming in late (even though I had coverage), so to placate him, I took that weekend “off” and came to work.

As for farm systems, teams recently tried to realign operations so that they’d have their teams closer to the parent club; that’s one of the reasons that SWB is affiliated with the Yanks now, the Mets in Buffalo, Cleveland in Columbus, Baltimore in Norfolk, etc, etc, etc.

Not sure as to why the Giants signed on with Norwich, but the Richmond club at one time were the A-C Yankees. They moved to Norwich because Albany didn’t or couldn’t upgrade their stadium to league standards. Norwich gave the Yanks a shiny new ballpark. After a while, the Yanks contract with Norwich ran out, and they moved operations to Trenton, who were affiliated with the Red Sox, who took over the Portland Sea Dogs when the Marlins signed a developmental contract with a team in the Southern League (Carolina Mudcats). The Giants took over the Norwich franchise, and citing attendance problems, moved the team to Richmond.

The Jays leaving Syracuse for Las Vegas has puzzled me as well. The Chiefs are now affilated with the Nationals.

19. butchie22
      December 26th, 2009 | 12:41 pm

Raf wrote:

Corey wrote:
      MJ wrote:
      @ butchie22:
      Are you referring to me?
      No, he’s not. I forget who it was exactly, but it wasn’t you.
      OnceIwasAYankeesFan, I think it was.

Yes, Once I was a YankCranker, Now I’m a Pox fan!
      Raf wrote:

@ MJ:

Raf, with the Jays it was a case of musical chairs. The Las Vegas 51s were the only minor league team that was left without an affiliation and the Jays were a team that lost its AAA affiliate. Toronto didn’t leave Syracuse of their own accord…..

December 26th, 2009 | 5:35 pm

@ butchie22:
      Thanks Butchie. That makes a lot of sense, I knew that a lot of teams were switching affiliates back then. The Jays can’t be happy with that arrangement, and I’m sure they’ll look for a AAA team closer to home. Even the Yanks had a season where they had a AAA team in Tacoma.

If they don’t get their act together, don’t be surprised if the Yanks leave SWB