• The Not So Big Secret In Yankeeland…Mark DeRosa Is Coming

    Posted by on December 23rd, 2009 · Comments (26)

    Last night, on MLB Network’s Hot Stove, Brian Cashman pretty much said it, without coming out saying it, if you know what I mean…

    Looks like Johnny Damon will be playing home games somewhere other than the Bronx next season.

    The funny thing is…Mark DeRosa is pretty much the same age as Damon. Yes, he offers a lot more with the glove, and he can mash LHP, but, Damon always had a knack for making the Yankees go…

    Can Nick Johnson and/or Mark DeRosa replace that? Plus, DeRosa is coming off wrist surgery.

    I hope Brian Cashman knows what he’s doing here…

    Comments on The Not So Big Secret In Yankeeland…Mark DeRosa Is Coming

    1. antone
      December 23rd, 2009 | 9:41 am

      Not a fan of this move….although chances are if he gets hurt they’ll just give at-bats to Gardner. Will be interesting to see where Damon goes now and for how much money/years.

    2. Raf
      December 23rd, 2009 | 9:55 am

      Don’t know what the big deal with DeRosa is. If he serves as anything more than a supersub, I’ll be annoyed.

    3. MJ
      December 23rd, 2009 | 9:59 am

      I think this is an idiotic move by Cashman. Damon’s a better hitter (by far) and still has some value with his legs (12 SB – 0 CS last year).

      I’m not convinced that DeRosa is the better defensive LF considering that he’s only played the position for 59 of his 1,032 games. He’s only played the outfield for 212 games. How do we know he’s a better fielder? What defensive metrics exist for a little more than a full season that can provide credible data?

      DeRosa batted a putrid .250/.319/.433 last year before finishing the year on the DL.

      I truly don’t understand why the Yanks would get stingy over $2-$3M a year when the difference between Damon and DeRosa appears to be pretty significant.

      Count the Nick Johnson and Mark DeRosa moves as pathetic on Cashman’s part this winter. It’s odd how he can do so well one minute (Granderson/Vazquez) and look so idiotic the next…

    4. December 23rd, 2009 | 10:06 am

      @ MJ: FWIW, I would have to think that DeRosa would throw better from LF, than Damon. Then again, my 5-year old throws better than Damon…

      Also, over the last three years, DeRosa’s OPS is not that far off from Damon’s…

      But, that said, this is all about $, if you ask me. With the Yankees “budget” they had about $7 mill to pay a LF this season – and DeRosa fits that price, and Damon may not…

      Imagine, the Yankees nickel-and-dime’n….guess you gotta do that when you’re over the $200 mark…?

    5. December 23rd, 2009 | 10:07 am

      And, just for the record, if I had to choose between Damon and DeRosa in 2010, I would pick Damon.

    6. MJ
      December 23rd, 2009 | 10:20 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Does DeRosa have a better arm than Damon? Sure, like you said, your daughter throws better than Damon does.

      But for all the talk of how poor Damon plays the field (all facets of defense, not just throwing), he still hits enough to more than make up for his defensive shortcomings. He was a 3.6 WAR last year and a -13 UZR/150. That means that he was worth a little more than a negative win on defense and still provided nearly 4 wins of value.

      Where on earth did the Yanks come up with this idiotic budget for LF? When Damon was asking for 3Y/$39M, the Yanks came back with 2Y/$20M. Now all of a sudden they can only go 2Y/$14M? That’s ridiculous. $3M/year should not be the difference between a good player and a utility player getting a starting job.

      As I argued re: Chien-Ming Wang, I find it insane that a little under 2% of the Yanks total payroll is enough to get the Yanks to run for the bargain bin. It’s obnoxious and insulting to my intelligence that they can pay $200M but can’t find the extra $3M to bring a good player back.

      I am not one of those fans that demands an All-Star at every position but I find it curious that the Yanks feel DeRosa is a better bet to perform for $7M than Damon is for $10M.

      If you’re going DeRosa, you may as well just go Gardner, save the $7M and see if Ben Sheets or Justin Duchscherer will jump for that money. Either that or bring Hinske and/or Hairston back for the bench. At least work on depth, don’t throw the money at LF just because you want to pretend you’re being rational.

    7. Raf
      December 23rd, 2009 | 10:22 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Imagine, the Yankees nickel-and-dime’n….guess you gotta do that when you’re over the $200 mark…?

      Even in that context the move doesn’t make sense.

    8. GDH
      December 23rd, 2009 | 10:32 am

      MJ wrote:

      If you’re going DeRosa, you may as well just go Gardner, save the $7M and see if Ben Sheets or Justin Duchscherer will jump for that money. Either that or bring Hinske and/or Hairston back for the bench.

      Exactly. DeRosa is somehow better than Gardner because what – I never got this – someone woke up one morning and decided that this guy is more than a replacement level player – but in reality that’s what he is, and a National League one at that. And you can scarcely call him an outfielder. I mean – Jerry Hairston IS better and PLAYED better for us last year. This move really pisses me off. I actually feel for Damon in all this. He must be seriously scratching his head.

    9. MJ
      December 23rd, 2009 | 10:36 am

      @ GDH:
      As a big Damon fan, I feel for him because I’ll miss him.

      He and Boras made their beds, unfortunately, so now they’ll have to accept that he’ll be playing for a new team next year. Maybe he gets lucky and lands on a team that can contend. It’s just as likely, however, that he ends up on a team that misses October.

      That’s the thing that drives me nuts…if Cashman wants to pretend he’s some frugal genius, extracting value from smaller morsels like Mark DeRosa, just save the dough and put the money towards your bench players (Hinske/Hairston or guys like them) or just grab another pitcher for the rotation and truly force Chamberlain and Hughes to earn the 5th spot in the rotation.

    10. GDH
      December 23rd, 2009 | 10:43 am

      We’re assuming that it’s DeRosa. It may not be, but Steve’s right – it looks like it. I would respect a move more that re-signs Hairston and/or Hinske and gives the job to Gardner to lose. He costs nothing and plays very good defense, and you back him up with guys that cost nothing and have a little experience. This move gives Gardner a chance and at a minimum he gets the chance to establish a trade value. But to throw money away on DeRosa, who is no better than that in the first place, to be anything other than a backup player a la Hairston, on this team is insulting. If you want to fill the position with the correct player, fine – that’s Damon.

      On the other hand, if the plan is to have Gardner compete with the mystery LF, then it’s ridiculous to throw 7M at a person that’s just going to be a backup player.

    11. MJ
      December 23rd, 2009 | 10:53 am

      Here’s the deal: Gardner sucks. The sooner we accept that, the better off we’ll all be. He can’t hit worth a damn, he takes lousy routes to fly balls, his arm is not impressive and all he has is speed to cover for his mistakes and deficiencies.

      I don’t want Gardner starting even a single game for the Yankees in 2010. It would represent a failure on our part that such a lousy player ever saw the light of day.

      Having said that, given the choice between spending $7M on DeRosa or letting Gardner play and plowing that money towards other things — another pitcher, multiple bench players, a cheaper utility player, anything, really — would make much more sense. At $7M, DeRosa would be the most obnoxiously overpaid utility player in team history.

    12. Rich M
      December 23rd, 2009 | 11:07 am

      When was the last time Casman let slip any deal that wasn’t complete? Heck when was the last time he would mention a players name, even after its been in the press as a done deal, without a name on the contract?
      I saw that interview and I believe he was refrencing the Nick Johnson deal that isn’t official yet. He spoke of crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s on a deal that has already been mentioned in the press.

    13. peteynice
      December 23rd, 2009 | 11:07 am

      I saw that interview and I thought he was referring to Johnson since that has been covered widely in the media but not announced by the team.

    14. MJ
      December 23rd, 2009 | 11:13 am

      @ Rich M:
      @ peteynice:
      Hopefully that’s all this was and all my ire about Mark DeRosa can be put to rest…

      …although I think Nick Johnson was a bum signing also. He’s a broken-down mule.

    15. December 23rd, 2009 | 11:27 am

      FWIW, I’m not the only one who came away from this viewing thinking DeRosa:

      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/313248-new-york-yankees-closing-in-on-mark-derosa

      And, even the MLB Network crew, after Cashman hung up on the call, showed a graphic on DeRosa and started talking about him as if that was what Cashman was talking about…

    16. MJ
      December 23rd, 2009 | 11:41 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Nick Johnson and Mark DeRosa in the same offseason…neither will be remembered as among Cashman’s finer moments…

      Hate ‘em both.

    17. yanksofny
      December 23rd, 2009 | 12:54 pm

      I didn’t see the report since my cable provider is cheap but maybe he was talking about signing Johnson since it technically was made official today?

    18. BOHAN
      December 23rd, 2009 | 4:12 pm

      MJ wrote:

      I think this is an idiotic move by Cashman. Damon’s a better hitter (by far) and still has some value with his legs (12 SB – 0 CS last year).
      I’m not convinced that DeRosa is the better defensive LF considering that he’s only played the position for 59 of his 1,032 games. He’s only played the outfield for 212 games. How do we know he’s a better fielder? What defensive metrics exist for a little more than a full season that can provide credible data?
      DeRosa batted a putrid .250/.319/.433 last year before finishing the year on the DL.
      I truly don’t understand why the Yanks would get stingy over $2-$3M a year when the difference between Damon and DeRosa appears to be pretty significant.
      Count the Nick Johnson and Mark DeRosa moves as pathetic on Cashman’s part this winter. It’s odd how he can do so well one minute (Granderson/Vazquez) and look so idiotic the next…

      i know you believe in stats to see how good a fielder is. but stats lie and dont tell the whole story. just watch a guy play that will give you the best idea on wether or not a guy can play the field. derosa has a better arm is more athletic maybe not as fast and damon sometimes looks lost out there going after flyballs. this would be a very good signing and one of 2 that i will agree with this offseason. other than damon, cause unless he settles for less hes not comin back, who else is out there that the yankees will go after? and dont say bay or holliday either theyve made very clear theyre note spending that much money

    19. BOHAN
      December 23rd, 2009 | 4:15 pm

      MJ wrote:

      Here’s the deal: Gardner sucks. The sooner we accept that, the better off we’ll all be. He can’t hit worth a damn, he takes lousy routes to fly balls, his arm is not impressive and all he has is speed to cover for his mistakes and deficiencies.

      minus not hitting “worth a damn” this sounds like someone else the yankees just signed to play CF. weird

    20. December 23rd, 2009 | 4:37 pm

      FWIW, IIRC, I’ve see DeRosa butcher some fly balls in the past. But, we can say the same thing about Damon last year too.

    21. MJ
      December 23rd, 2009 | 4:40 pm

      BOHAN wrote:

      just watch a guy play that will give you the best idea on wether or not a guy can play the field. derosa has a better arm is more athletic

      Huh? 212 career games in the OF and you’re convinced he’s a better outfielder than Johnny Damon?

      Stats can obviously be skewed but so can eyeball observations. If you think DeRosa is a good enough LF to play there every day, you’d be the first GM to think so, considering he’s been in the league for a dozen years and has played LF in just 5% of his total games.

    22. Raf
      December 23rd, 2009 | 7:49 pm

      MJ wrote:

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Nick Johnson and Mark DeRosa in the same offseason…neither will be remembered as among Cashman’s finer moments…
      Hate ‘em both.

      Heck you could make something of a justification for signing Johnson. DeRosa, OTOH…

    23. BOHAN
      December 24th, 2009 | 12:00 am

      MJ wrote:

      BOHAN wrote:
      just watch a guy play that will give you the best idea on wether or not a guy can play the field. derosa has a better arm is more athletic
      Huh? 212 career games in the OF and you’re convinced he’s a better outfielder than Johnny Damon?
      Stats can obviously be skewed but so can eyeball observations. If you think DeRosa is a good enough LF to play there every day, you’d be the first GM to think so, considering he’s been in the league for a dozen years and has played LF in just 5% of his total games.

      derosa played on teams that didnt have a need for an OF. he’s a better IFer yes but hes a servicable OF. at this point in Johnny’s career i think derosa is a better OFer. johnny has slowed up in the OF. hes had alot of leg problems in the past few years. johnny is real shaky when hes on the run going after balls. johnny has no arm what so ever either. derosa can throw a bit. derosa brings alot more to the table all around in my opinion then anyone else available does. can play anywhere you put him. does the little things at the plate. might not be an all star but you dont need an all star at every position. guys like derosa are vital parts to teams. hes the kind of player willing to do anything to win. play any position do whatever u ask of him at the plate put a bunt down hit behind a runnner. we dont have many of those guys on the team right now. hes also going to run into and send em over the fence every now and then. great addition to any team even the yankees.

    24. clintfsu813
      December 24th, 2009 | 7:28 am

      Looks like Derosa is going to SF..so all this ranting may have been moo. (Friends Reference)

    25. Raf
      December 24th, 2009 | 7:40 am

      BOHAN wrote:

      we dont have many of those guys on the team right now

      Thank goodness for that. Leave the scrappy players to teams like Kansas City, or San Diego.

      Yanks don’t do scrappy… At least not since Stankiewicz (sp?) was here

    26. Raf
      December 24th, 2009 | 7:41 am

      clintfsu813 wrote:

      Looks like Derosa is going to SF..so all this ranting may have been moo. (Friends Reference)

      Thank goodness for that.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.