• Yanks Interested In Jermaine Dye?

Posted by on December 27th, 2009 · Comments (7)

Via Phil Rogers:

Jermaine Dye is drawing interest from the Yankees after their acquisition of Javier Vazquez. He had been considered as a first base option in Atlanta before the Braves shifted to Troy Glaus.

This is not the first time we’ve heard from the Chitown media that the Yankees had an interest in Dye. Remember the summer of 2007?

Hearing this, it makes me wish that someone would pull a foolie and tell Omar Minaya that Dye’s real name is Germano Morir – and then maybe the Mets would sign him, and take-away the potential of him ending up in Yankeeland…

I mean…really…Jermaine Dye?

That’s not exactly having a younger, more athletic, and defense-oriented outfield…is it Brian?

Comments on Yanks Interested In Jermaine Dye?

1. MJ
      December 27th, 2009 | 10:51 pm

Flat out, unequivocally: if Cashman signs Dye, he may as well resign. I won’t defend a GM that signs Jermaine Dye under any circumstance. Nick Johnson was bad enough. This would be totally idiotic.

I can’t believe the Yanks think Johnny Damon is so unaffordable that they’d take this old, slow, defensively-challenged piece of complete garbage.

Revolting and distressing.

2. Corey
      December 28th, 2009 | 2:37 am

Love the links to old posts with old comments that proved to be a good way of thinking. I still think we should pass on Dye.

December 28th, 2009 | 8:31 am

I don’t see it. The only reason he would be signed is to platoon with Gardner, and even that really doesn’t make sense as there are better options.

4. Jake1
      December 28th, 2009 | 9:01 am

the only real lf option is still a fa. his name is damon

5. OldYanksFan
      December 28th, 2009 | 12:01 pm

First off, I am AGAINST signing Dye.
      However, for something to chew on:

Splits against LHP
      Career: .287 .366 .505 .871
      2008::: .285 .354 .563 .917
      2009::: .292 .387 .508 .894

He’s an abortion in the field and on the basepaths, but he bat may play around .850 OPS. He is not a platoon for Gardner, but rather a PH’er in games they are behind late. He doesn’t offer much else.

6. GDH
      December 28th, 2009 | 2:06 pm

I’m reluctantly reserving judgement until they sign someone, and giving Cashman the benefit of the doubt that he’s smarter than the rumor mongers. But it’s getting more difficult, because I have the distinct feeling that we’re about to get “rocked” on this deal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIhwITwhSg
      I can understand not spending money but at least add something that’s of value to the team. That plus Damon’s sitting there and suddenly we’ve run out of shekels and don’t have lunch money?

7. Evan3457
      December 30th, 2009 | 5:49 pm

Today’s Poll:

Criticizing Cashman based on rumor…

A. Feature of Was Watching