• Yanks Are Great, But, If I Could Change One Thing…

Posted by on December 30th, 2009 · Comments (19)

The biggest Yankees related news out there today centers around which tattoos Charlie Sheen is having removed

So, it seems like a good time to ask this question. If you could pick one “resolution” (meaning change) for the New York Yankees to have in 2010, what would it be?

Me? I want to think about it some more…and decide whether it would be operational-related or Stadium-policy related…

But, maybe your ideas will make me think of something else? Go at it and have some fun.

Comments on Yanks Are Great, But, If I Could Change One Thing…

1. K-V-C
      December 30th, 2009 | 10:28 am

If I could have 2:

1> I would force Joe to keep #27. I didn’t like the arrogance of him claiming #27 was his job, and I think its asinine that he now wears #28.

2> FIRE STERLING

2. MJ
      December 30th, 2009 | 11:21 am

If I could change one thing, I’d change the guys that run YES Network’s programming. We just had an awesome 2009 season filled with walk-off moments and a thrilling playoff run which culminated in a phenomenal parade up the Canyon of Heroes.

So why the hell are we still watching Yankee Classics from the 70′s or the 2001 World Series? There are literally tens of thousands of games to choose from (16,962 of them to be exact). Obviously not all are available on video but I imagine that every game from 1947-present are on film since that’s when baseball started its life on television.

Seriously, change it up every now and again. I simply can’t watch Chambliss’s 1976 HR or Game 5 of the 2001 World Series anymore. I’m sick of it already and I’ve been sick of it for three years now.

3. #15
      December 30th, 2009 | 11:31 am

Being an out of towner living in an NL central city… I’d have the Yankees force MLB to allow the Sat. afternoon broadcast to be shown out of town on the MLB Extra Innings package. Chaps my ass that I get blacked out of games on a Sat. afternoon and am only provided acess to games like the Pirates against the Reds (games I refuse to watch both on principle and performance).

Since that is unlikely to change because of the Fox contract…. Relocate the monuments so they can be seen from the stands and on TV. Or another way of looking at it, move them so the monuments can “see” the game. It’s the one element of the new park I don’t like.

4. MJ
      December 30th, 2009 | 11:50 am

#15 wrote:

Agree 100% with this point. In general, I hate the Mohegan Sun thing in CF and how it ruins the view of the monuments. That’s the one part of the stadium that is hideous and a downgrade from the old lady across the street.

5. GDH
      December 30th, 2009 | 11:50 am

#15 wrote:

This is the most frustrating thing EVER. It absolutely sucks and pisses me off to no end. I find myself being forced not to think about Baseball on a Saturday.

But out of everything it would have to be the Sterling/Waldman act. That needs to go – especially the “Theeeeee Yankees Win” call and all the stupid “A-Bomb from A-Rod” calls. Barf.

6. December 30th, 2009 | 1:05 pm

The silliest thing i will fix : YES speed gun

Nice thing to have: I would like them to run a promotion, celebrate the ten years, by giving the fans a break.. 10 series will have prices from 2000-09 (2001 price for series 1, 2002 for series 2). Certainly good for our wallets. Pipe dream.

Obvious move: Fix the monument park/cave

The Must: Atleast put some mild paint on those concrete seperating the have’s and have-nots behind home plate… the $1250 demarcation, it looks ugly.

7. Corey
      December 30th, 2009 | 2:35 pm

If I could fix one thing, I’d make the Yanks bring Jim Kaat back.

8. MJ
      December 30th, 2009 | 2:46 pm

Corey wrote:

If I could fix one thing, I’d make the Yanks bring Jim Kaat back.

Absolutely. Kitty was awesome.

Chaps my ass that he works for the scumbags up north.

9. Corey
      December 30th, 2009 | 3:01 pm

@ MJ:
      It also bothered me last season when they blocked the yankee mlb network game telecasts and Kitty would be doing the game on mlb network…i would have preferred to watch that to the YES telecast, personally.

10. Corey
      December 30th, 2009 | 3:13 pm

my dream broadcasting (of current. living broadcasters) 3-man team:

Ken Singleton
      Jim Kaat
      David Cone

Kenny on play-by-play, and Kaat telling old war stories, and Cone telling more recent war stories and Conedelstick park. Perfect.

Man, I hate winter.

11. MJ
      December 30th, 2009 | 4:41 pm

Corey wrote:

my dream broadcasting (of current. living broadcasters) 3-man team:
      Ken Singleton
      Jim Kaat
      David Cone

That would be awesome.

12. #15
      December 30th, 2009 | 4:54 pm

Corey wrote:

Man, I hate winter.

Got the ultimate antidote…. Heading to Tampa for the NYY Fantasy Camp at the George starting Jan. 12th. I’ve been a regular over the last decade. I’ve been on the winning team 3 times including last year, when I walked out with the 2009 championship trophy under one arm and the MVP award under the other. Hell of a way to start the year. Played for Paul Blair and Pat Kelly last year and have gotten to know guys like Roy White, Bobby Meacham, Jake Gibbs, Mickey Rivers, Tommy John, Oscar Gamble, Mike Torrez and Bucky Dent (got a ball signed by both of them) and others, plus the late Tom Tresh and Johnny Blanchard. Made some great, lifetime friendships and met some great former Yankee players. Full week of nothing but baseball. Best week of the year, every year.

13. Corey
      December 30th, 2009 | 5:50 pm

@ #15:
      That sounds insanely awesome. Unfortunately for me, I am very, very far from this event.

I will, however, be attending a grapefruit game. My girlfriend’s xmas gift to me is a trip to spring training. I originally went with the AAA Yanks vs. NYY where they are giving out the replica 09 world seires ring, but realized it was during easter time, and that’s a no-no. I think I’m going to be going to see them on March 24th against the Nats with hopes of seeing Strasburg. Even if he’s not there, it should be a fun time. Then, I’ll be able to add George Steinbrenner Field to my list.

14. Corey
      December 30th, 2009 | 5:53 pm

To add,

I also can’t wait to see Montero in person. I don’t think it’s a secret that I’m excited to see what he can do in the Bronx.

15. cr1
      December 30th, 2009 | 7:49 pm

Great way to start, K-V-C!! I’m not a Girardi-hater, but that grandiosity of his can get embarrassing. And Sterling must be pried loose from play-by-play –since he has no idea what is going on out on the field, his listeners don’t, either.

#15, way to get to the point! No more monument cave!

And Corey, from your keyboard to God’s ear! Bring back Kaat who is not only intelligent and knowledgable, he tells it like it is even if he has to contradict the company line.

If I could have those wishes I would be perfectly satisfied not to come up with any original one(s) of my own.

16. clintfsu813
      December 31st, 2009 | 9:23 am

@ Corey:
      I’m actually going to the ST game with the replica rings. It’ll be my first time taking in one of those. Shame you wont be there too. :)

17. Corey
      December 31st, 2009 | 11:56 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ Corey:

Ah, yea too bad. The AAA vs. MLB game was the one she had in mind as well..sure woulda been awesome to get a ring. Unfortunately it wasn’t in the cards.

18. #15
      December 31st, 2009 | 2:58 pm

Corey,
      If you have time, go across Dale Mabry Blvd. and down a few blocks to the Himes Complex. Never know who you’ll see working over there. Also, there are two workout fields adjacent to The George. Keep an eye on them too.

19. 77yankees
      January 4th, 2010 | 7:07 pm

srivinodh wrote:

Absolutely – one of the problems with the new Stadium is it looks too much metal & concrete, especially compared to the royal blue everywhere that was the original Stadium.

And here’s one thing I’d change about the YES telecasts, and the national broadcasts as well. Stop showing us the rapid fire pitch sequence instant replay 25 times a game. WE JUST SAW THE DAMN AT BAT!!!! I can understand if it’s Damon’s at-bat in Game 4 vs. Lidge, but they just go too far.

And another thing for us YES viewers….when the Yanks are in Arlington, it is not necessary to show us Nolan Ryan sitting by the Rangers dugout five times an inning…..it’s 97 degrees, I know there must be more attractive subjects in the stands they could point the camera at of the short skirt, long legged variety.