• January 2010 Survey Question #1

Posted by on January 4th, 2010 · Comments (18)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:87}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section below.

Comments on January 2010 Survey Question #1

1. clintfsu813
      January 4th, 2010 | 9:34 am

I chose Posada due to his age and eventual decline

2. clintfsu813
      January 4th, 2010 | 9:35 am

*inevitible decline

3. Tresh Fan
      January 4th, 2010 | 10:01 am

I voted for Posada as well. Anno Domini gets you sooner or later. For Backstops it’s usually more sooner than later. And for Backstops not known for their defensive skills it’s a lot sooner.

How many teams have won a World Championship with a 38 year old catcher? Outside of the ’09 Yankees I can’t think of one. Can you? And at that, Posada caught only about 54% of the total defensive innings. Will he be behind the plate for at least half the innings this coming year? Who will catch the other half? Frankie Cervelli?

4. clintfsu813
      January 4th, 2010 | 10:03 am

@ Tresh Fan:
      I’m cool with Cervelli. Another cool fact of last year was that no one had won a WS with a SS as old as Jeter I believe.

5. MJ
      January 4th, 2010 | 10:25 am

I picked Nick Johnson because I just don’t see him staying healthy. His track record in that regard is abyssmal.

I concur with pessimism on Posada…he’s old and his defense and mental lapses make him a guy to be wary of.

6. January 4th, 2010 | 10:35 am

I had to vote for Jorge as well for the same reasons as mentioned by everyone else. I also thought about voting for Jeter by I don’t really expect a bad/poor season from him, just a decline from his monster campaign last season.

As for Nick Johnson, I think not having to play the field is going to work wonders for him and help him stay off the DL.

7. jrk
      January 4th, 2010 | 11:05 am

i chose gardner b/c i can’t remember the last time i saw him have an at-bat where he didn’t look lost. he’ll be fine in the field, but his speed won’t mean much for the offense unless he can get on base.

as terrible as posada is behind the plate and on the basepaths, he has never been good at those aspects, but i think he will still be able to put up the offensive numbers. it will be important for girardi to give him enough rest to keep him fresh.

am i being too harsh on gardner? or do people agree with me?

8. clintfsu813
      January 4th, 2010 | 11:12 am

I dont remember him looking lost out there. In fact, before he got hurt he was putting up some decent numbers offensively. Remember that 4-4 game vs the Mets?

9. MJ
      January 4th, 2010 | 12:05 pm

Eric @ THTGB wrote:

Considering his previous injuries are not related to stress on his knees or back (as Matsui’s were), I find this line of reasoning to be at least partially misguided or misapplied.

10. YankCrank
      January 4th, 2010 | 12:14 pm

MJ wrote:

Eric @ THTGB wrote:

I’ll agree with that, however there’s some truth behind the theory of limiting his exposure to the field will, at the same time, limit his chance for injury.

Does his track record support it? Nope, but if we could get a full year out of a half-crippled Matsui by just DHing him, it’s possible we can get a full healthy year out of Nick Johnson, right?

Either way, I think we can all agree the NJ signing is a gamble on Cashman’s part. Hopefully the gamble pays off.

11. YankCrank
      January 4th, 2010 | 12:22 pm

I voted for Burnett, just for the possibility that he’ll send a good chunk of the year on the DL.

It was great to get a full year out of him last year but you know the DL trip is coming at some point.

I totally understand the votes for Posada as well, i’m just hoping and praying he stays as productive as he can through the end of his current contract. He, other than Mariano, has been the biggest on-field advantage we’ve had over other teams for years. It’ll suck when that goes away.

12. K-V-C
      January 4th, 2010 | 1:03 pm

Andy Pettitte – another year older, and no incentives this year.

13. Corey
      January 4th, 2010 | 1:06 pm

Since we’re talking MOST LIKELY, I’d go with Marte. I don’t really know how you could choose anybody else, really.

14. YankCrank
      January 4th, 2010 | 1:11 pm

Aceves? His arm looked pretty smoked at the end of last year.

15. Corey
      January 4th, 2010 | 2:24 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Aceves? His arm looked pretty smoked at the end of last year.

So you’d take Marte over Aceves in your pen?

16. YankCrank
      January 4th, 2010 | 2:32 pm

No, I was throwing another pen name out there who may be as likely to get hurt or be as ineffective as Marte. IIRC, Aceves fell off a clip at the end of the year.

17. Corey
      January 4th, 2010 | 2:55 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Aceves fell off a clip at the end of the year.

Wasn’t he having shoulder problems?

18. YankCrank
      January 4th, 2010 | 3:18 pm

Corey wrote:

YankCrank wrote:

Aceves fell off a clip at the end of the year.

Wasn’t he having shoulder problems?

I believe so, yes.