• Yanks Are Dominican Dandies

Posted by on January 8th, 2010 · Comments (47)

Via DominicanToday.com:

President Leonel Fernandez received in the New York Yankees last night in the National Palace, where the world champions presented the World Series trophy won over the Philadelphia Phillies in November.

Fernandez arrived to start the ceremony at 7:19 p.m., with Yankees players including Robinson Cano, Dámaso Marte, Francisco Cervelli, coach Tony Peña, as well as the great player and Dominican leader Many Mota.

The Head of State said it was a great honor for him to receive the trophy in the house of government, since it came from the United States’ most successful sport organization.

He said he feels highly identified with the team because great Dominicans have been part of it. “I feel very happy for living this moment together with you, who are great symbols in global sports.”

O.K. which current, famous, Dominican Yankee is missing from this picture:

Then again, maybe it was a good thing that he was a no-show?

Comments on Yanks Are Dominican Dandies

1. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 9:43 am

I was in the Dominican in November, and everyone there would talk about nothing other then Pedro and A-Rod. They literally would come up to me talking to me about it because I was wearing Yankee gear.

2. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 9:51 am

It’s not even baseball season but 4 of the 30 most recent stories on this page are A-Rod related, including 2 in the last 24 hours.

The tone in all 4 is either unrelated to baseball (his dating life), his possible continued PED use or speculating on the fact that Dominicans are happy he didn’t come for the World Series honorarium in the presidential palace.

But…no….you don’t hate A-Rod.

3. YankCrank
      January 8th, 2010 | 10:01 am

Remember when A-Rod hit .378 with 6 HRs, 18 RBIs and OPSed 1.331 in the playoffs to help win us a World Series Championship less than three months ago?

I do.

4. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 10:07 am

@ YankCrank:
      I always will..and so will everybody else when hes sitting out in Monument Park.

5. YankCrank
      January 8th, 2010 | 10:13 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ YankCrank:

As will I. Alex will always have a special part in my heart for what he did in 2009, and that goes for his regular season too. The team took off when he came back, and how he hit 30 HRs and produced 100 RBIs on an injured hip is beyond me.

What a great ballplayer.

6. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 10:15 am

@ YankCrank:
      Well..according to some he was on HGH last year ;)

7. January 8th, 2010 | 11:04 am

MJ wrote:

But…no….you don’t hate A-Rod.

There was a time when I was a fan of A-Rod:

But, I will confess, after the opt out after 2007, the tabloid stuff with strippers, his wife, Madonna, etc., and, of course, the PED issue, I now see him as an ass-clown…not matter what his OPS+ may be, etc., and I’m not a “fan” of him – as much as I was before.

Do I want him to do well? Yes, because that means good things for the Yankees. But, do I like the person? No, not any more.

MJ – it’s no different than you feel about Joba, is it?

8. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 11:18 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I now see him as an ass-clown…

This is why I was shocked to see Sanders in your netshrine. That guy is an ass clown.

9. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 11:26 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Still have your Arod memorabilia?..I’ll gladly take some off your hands ;)

10. January 8th, 2010 | 11:35 am

@ Corey: Hey, A-Rod would have made NetShrine too, if it was still open, when he retired. ;-)

@ clintfsu813: Only if you also agree to buy my Bonds and Clemens memorabilia too!

God, what a waste of money those turned out to be… :-(

11. YankCrank
      January 8th, 2010 | 11:37 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

MJ – it’s no different than you feel about Joba, is it?

I’d say it’s very different. MJ seems to dislike Joba for everything he does on the field, as opposed to you hating Alex for everything he does off it.

I’d say MJ’s hatred is more justified just because he’s unsatisfied with what Joba does on the mound, which in turn directly effects the success or failure of the Yankees. He doesn’t hate Joba Chamberlain the man (i don’t think), he hates Joba Chamberlain the baseball player.

You seem to hate A-Rod the man because he’s part of a failed marriage, got caught banging some strippers and tested positive for PEDs before he was a Yankee. You’re free to hate anybody you want for whichever reason you’d like, but the basis of you hating A-Rod and MJ hating Joba are very different.

12. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:02 pm

God, what a waste of money those turned out to be…

Yea..I have a Mark Mcgwire rookie card that would be better spent to wipe my ass with.

13. YankCrank
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:13 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

God, what a waste of money those turned out to be…

Has value of McGwire and Bonds memorabilia really gone down that much?

14. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:22 pm

@ YankCrank:
      lol anyone see LaRussa talk about how he’d consider adding Big Mac to the 40 man on Aug 31 if the Cards are in it to pinch hit?

15. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:35 pm

@ YankCrank:
      They just havent gone up at all..like usually happens after time passes. I did see that from Larussa..that would be very interesting!

16. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:35 pm

BTW..I was huuuge Big Mac fan as a kid..before Jeter came around

17. G.I. Joey
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:36 pm

Although Melky is no longer a Yankee, he was a part of the 2009 team and is from the DR. Guess it was too awkward to invite him.

18. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:39 pm

YankCrank wrote:

That’s exactly what I was going to say.

To add to that, I’ve never said I didn’t hate Chamberlain in 2009. I admitted it. It even became a sort of a running joke, where I refered to him by his jersey number for four solid months. You, however, until your post above (Comment #7 in this thread) had never admitted to your bias/hatred.

Now that you have, I find it refreshing and liberating. Own your hate and own your bias. Don’t pretend it doesn’t exist. We’re all too transparent to pretend we don’t feel the way we do. Corey hates Johnny Damon. I hate Nick Johnson. We admit it, we have fun with it, we argue about it. But we don’t pretend we feel differently.

19. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:49 pm

I need to get a player to hate, huh?

20. YankCrank
      January 8th, 2010 | 12:54 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

I need to get a player to hate, huh?

Me too, mine was Melky. I grew very tired of watching him hit like Andy Phillips from both sides of the plate day-in and day-out, and it was his occasional walk-off hit that kept me from full-out bashing him all the time.

He was fun in ’06 when he came out of nowhere to be adequate, but it mystifies me why so many Yankee fans were outraged when we sent an average (at-best) 4th outfielder to the Braves for a damn good pitcher.

21. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:02 pm

@ YankCrank:
      Was not outraged over this. I’ll miss that goofy bastard, but am liking the Javy signing more and more everyday.

22. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:08 pm

YankCrank wrote:

clintfsu813 wrote:
      I need to get a player to hate, huh?
      He was fun in ‘06 when he came out of nowhere to be adequate, but it mystifies me why so many Yankee fans were outraged when we sent an average (at-best) 4th outfielder to the Braves for a damn good pitcher.

I was very fond of Melky..but not to the point where I had any gripes with the Javy deal. Honestly, though, I think a lot of it had to do with the array of fun nicknames he had. It was fun to root for him.

23. YankCrank
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:25 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      @ Corey:

I had a very love/hate relationship with Melky. I’d be the first to bash him every time he’d strike out at a pitch over his head or swing early in the count and ground out weakly…but when he had a huge hit i’d make sure to walk out of my place wearing my “Got Melky?” tshirt.

I guess you guys put it best. He was a goofy kid that was fun to root for, but it’s certainly not worth crying over spilled melk (yeah, i just went there).

24. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:35 pm

@ YankCrank:
      @ Corey:
      @ clintfsu813:
      I loved the Melk-man too, but not so much that I was sorry to see him leave. Javy Vazquez as our 4th starter is way more valuable to the team than Melky was as a 4th outfielder.

If Damon isn’t back and Melky’s gone, who are Clint, Corey and YankCrank gonna hate on in 2010? I’ve already picked my whipping boy…you guys need to find someone soon. Only 41 days till P&C…

25. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:40 pm

MJ wrote:

lol, for some reason I feel like last minute hes gonna sign a 1 year deal with an option…I hope not though ;)

26. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:40 pm

Corey wrote:

MJ wrote:

Well to be fair, even I wouldn’t have gripes with that.

27. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:44 pm

@ MJ:
      AJ frustrates me the most..but then he’ll pitch a gem..and totally redeem himself!

28. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:53 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ MJ:

I can’t get on AJ…just because I’ve sat through such pitching atrocities in recent years, that it makes him look like Sabathia.

29. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:54 pm

@ Corey:
      I hope Damon comes back because I love him and because he brings more to the table than Gardner…but also because it’ll save you the trouble of finding someone new to hate! Always lookin’ out for ya, kid! :-)

30. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:55 pm

Then again just thinking about all the walks right now makes my blood boil in January, so I guess I can’t forecast how I’ll feel in the future, eh?

31. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:55 pm

MJ wrote:

lol

32. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:56 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

I hear you. I was all set to have AJ as my ’09 whipping boy because I was completely against the signing. Lucky for him, Joba did so horribly that it spared him my ire. Lucky for me and the Yanks, he pitched us to a WS!

Hopefully the AJ of ’09 is the AJ we see again in ’10 (and beyond).

33. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 1:58 pm

Corey wrote:

I’m thinking back to that day game vs. the Rangers during the last week of August where he fell apart in the middle innings and then went on that dreadful 4-5 start stretch where it looked like he might not even be good enough to start in the playoffs…

I like AJ as a person and I think he’s probably a cool guy to hang with. I appreciate the total picture of his 2009 season, but, yeah…he can be annoying to watch sometimes.

34. Corey
      January 8th, 2010 | 2:03 pm

@ MJ:
      I just can’t stand it when pitchers walk batters (on our team). Especially when it’s excessive, like in “Burnit”‘s case.

35. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 2:12 pm

@ Corey:
      HAHAHAHAHA “Burnit”!

Butchie’s nicknames crack me up every time.

36. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 2:47 pm

2nd game of the year he pitched a no hitter into the 6th vs Tampa. Also the Swisher RP game, lol. I was lovin him that day!

37. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 2:48 pm

There are def. 2 sides to AJ. Game 2 WS and Game 5 WS.

38. YankCrank
      January 8th, 2010 | 2:53 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

There are def. 2 sides to AJ. Game 2 WS and Game 5 WS.

Haha best way to put it. In less than a week he was a completely different pitcher.

39. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 2:56 pm

@ YankCrank:
      Same thing happened vs LAA. Game 2 and Game 5 I believe.

40. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 2:57 pm

Of course, Beckett seems to have those vs us. 1 game he dominates..the next Jeter takes him out first pitch of the game.

41. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 3:10 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

True, although I’d trade AJ Burnett to Boston for Josh Beckett in a heartbeat. Beckett hasn’t seemed as sharp in ’08 and ’09 as he was in ’07 but I still trust him more.

It’ll actually be interesting to see if 2010 is more like the last two years or if it’s a return to his awesome 2007 form. He won’t be a bargain in free agency but perhaps we can begin to chip away at some of his price-tag if 2010? I’d love it if we took Beckett from Boston. He turns 30 on May 15th so he’d be a little younger than Cliff Lee, and with a longer track record…

42. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 3:13 pm

But would you take Becks over Lee?

43. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 3:23 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      Lee’s a lefty so I like that…but, yeah, I’d take Beckett over Lee. I trust his track record more, he’s slightly younger, he’s AL East tested and he’s a strikeout pitcher (8.5 K/9 for Beckett vs. 6.8 for Lee).

44. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 3:27 pm

MJ wrote:

he’s slightly younger

I just checked, Beckett is more than slightly younger, he’s a shade under 21 months younger than Lee. When talking about a 5 year deal, that kind of a difference actually matters.

One can easily make the case for Lee given that he’s a lefty and that he might age more gracefully than a true fireballer but I’d take my chances with Beckett for his age 31-35 seasons over Lee’s age 33-37 seasons. Slight edge to Beckett in my view.

45. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 3:34 pm

I agree. Add that to the chance to piss of Boston and I would take it too.

46. MJ
      January 8th, 2010 | 3:59 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      As long as Boston didn’t replace Beckett with Lee, yeah, I’d love to pluck Beckett from Boston just to piss them off (and because he’s good).

My own personal feeling is that current Boston management hasn’t really paid market price for pitching. Part of that is because Pedro and Lowe were already near the end of their ropes as effective AL pitchers so perhaps my theory hasn’t been put to the test. One could also say that Lackey shows that Boston will spend on pitching.

I just have this feeling that they signed Lackey as a hedge against possibly losing Beckett. After all, there’s no way Beckett stays in Boston for less than Lackey is making so I have a hard time seeing them pony up over $100M to keep Beckett happy. Similarly, I am not so sure Boston would spend $100M on Cliff Lee.

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part…

47. clintfsu813
      January 8th, 2010 | 4:58 pm

If we were to sign Beckett..I feel Boston would most assuredly make a push for Lee. Maybe not $100 mill. though..unless they lose in first round again or dont make playoffs in 2010.