• Looking To Give…The Look

Posted by on January 20th, 2010 · Comments (7)

A non-Yankees related rant…skip it, if that doesn’t interest you…

Everyone in my family has been sick for a while – my wife and both my kids. It was only a matter of time before it caught up to me. And, yesterday, it landed. Actually, since they first became ill a couple of weeks ago, I’m surprised that it took this long to get me.

Related, this morning, on the way to work, I stopped at the local retail drug store chain outlet to get some Cold-Eeze. As I paid for it, at the counter, the cashier asked me if I would also like to donate a dollar to the Haiti Relief Fund.

Now, this is a pet peeve of mine. To be candid, its gotten me in trouble at work, in the past, when I’ve been asked by my employer to contribute part of my pay to the United Way or to partake in a group activity during the holidays to buy gifts for the needy.

I’m all for making charitable contributions. I think it is important. And, my family does make donations throughout the year – to the efforts and organizations that we feel are helping those in need, etc. But, it’s our choice as to who we give to, and when, and how much, etc. Further, no one else has a right to get involved in the process – as its our business (and not theirs).

Back to this morning, when the woman at the counter asked me about donating the dollar to the Haiti Relief Fund, I politely answered “No, not at this time. Thank you.”

So, what happened? The woman looked at me as if I was the nastiest and most uncaring person on the face of the earth. I let it go at that and left the store.

Next time someone asks me if I want to make a donation to their particular charity, I’m going to say “Yes, I’d be more than willing to do that, if, in exchange, you’d be willing to make a matching donation to my designated charities of choice.”

And, then, perhaps, I’ll be able to give them a look when they say “No thank you”?

Comments on Looking To Give…The Look

1. clintfsu813
      January 20th, 2010 | 12:19 pm

I’m with you on this. Who knows..the clerk could be just pocketing what you give. You have to be very careful who you donate to nowadays. Now, I dont blame the clerk for asking..she was probably required to do so. She could have saved the look though, IMO. Maybe a response, such as, “I donated at my work already this morning” would have saved you the look.

2. MJ
      January 20th, 2010 | 12:26 pm

I agree completely. They have the right to ask and you have the right to refuse without that kind of low-level harrassment. It’s freakin’ charity, they shouldn’t be nasty about it.

3. Corey
      January 20th, 2010 | 12:28 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

That’s why I don’t give money to any charity. I don’t believe that my money goes to the right people. I feel if you want to help out, you’re better off setting an example and helping out in YOUR OWN community. Volunteer your time, donate clothes to your local church, these are things, to me, that are important. Giving a dollar to a dude working at CVS probably does nothing but give CVS (or the guy) more money.

And who cares about looks from nobodies anyway? Just say NO if you want to…the clerk at CVS is the ass, not you.

January 20th, 2010 | 1:00 pm

Screw ‘em. They don’t know what I do or have done, or how much I have given. Maybe I made a donation to their charity when they weren’t on shift, maybe I donated at a sister store. They never stop to think about or like that. And I’d be willing to wager that depending on the clerk/cashier, she probably think Steve’s a racist…

Morons.

5. buster
      January 20th, 2010 | 3:51 pm

Students from Lynn University in Florida have been missing since the earthquake. Only in the past couple of days have the frantic parents been able to get some response from a senator. Nobody from Obama’s staff has contacted these families. If they want money donated then American troops and American relief should be looking for Americans. They can help whoever they want, great, but why are missing Americans not a priority for America?

6. 77yankees
      January 20th, 2010 | 8:22 pm

Only thing I can say that hasn’t been said is you should have told them, sure, I’ll donate a dollar, just deduct it from the price of my bill.

7. catseurat
      January 22nd, 2010 | 1:59 am

Not to start a political discussion, but there are (were?) 45,000 Americans in Haiti. I think Obama’s staff has more important things to do than call the families of every one of them.

I do agree with the previous posters, tho – I donated to the Red Cross and have been helping my Haitian coworkers find out about their families in Haiti. The dirty look was uncalled for.