• January 2010 Survey Question #3

Posted by on January 21st, 2010 · Comments (8)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:89}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section below.

Comments on January 2010 Survey Question #3

1. Corey
      January 21st, 2010 | 11:03 am

I was born in ’86 and had a great view of the 90′s. If I had to pick a time to be born, though, I would have picked the early 60′s. That mostly has to do with my love for classic rock, than anything though. I would have loved to have seen Zep in their prime. (Plus I would have seen the late 70′s championships).

2. MJ
      January 21st, 2010 | 11:25 am

When I was a kid, I used to always wish that I was born in 1936. I would’ve gotten to see DiMaggio, Berra, Ford and Mantle in their primes and I would’ve been born at a late enough date that I would’ve missed required conscription in the Korean and Vietnam conflicts (I’m allergic to the dual wartime realities of death and dismemberment).

Now that I’m older, however, I’m plenty glad to have been born in 1975. I got to see a great era of Yankee baseball and I live in a time when other, non-baseball conditions, are much better.

3. January 21st, 2010 | 12:54 pm

Well I wouldn’t actually want to be born in any time period that has anything to do with the great depression. I’m also pretty happy living in Brooklyn when there are no race wars. So not for a second would I actually want to be born in those earlier time periods, but I would like to have seen the Yankees of the 40′s and 50′s.

4. January 21st, 2010 | 1:11 pm

MJ wrote:

When I was a kid, I used to always wish that I was born in 1936.

Talk to my dad – that’s when he was born.

5. MJ
      January 21st, 2010 | 3:59 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Talk to my dad – that’s when he was born.

It’s a great era. Kudos to your dad for stealin’ my thunder ;-)

My dad was born in 1932 and moved to NYC from Europe in 1953. I always tell him how lucky he was that he got to step off the boat and land smack dab in the middle of the golden age of New York baseball.

6. long time listener
      January 21st, 2010 | 8:00 pm

I voted for now. I get to see great Yankee teams, plus I get to talk about it on the internet and I have penicillin and polio vaccines. It must have been something to see those teams of the 40s through the early 60s, when the Yankees were in the World Series every year. But if I had one baseball-related wish, it’d be to see Babe Ruth play, so my second choice is to be born between 1900 and 1915.

7. mondoas
      January 21st, 2010 | 8:46 pm

Being that I am black, sorry for those die hard African American fans out there, there is NO WAY that I would have wanted to be born back in times where I couldn’t do this and that. There is no need to bring up crap from the past but bottom line, I am glad to have been born in 1971. The years of 77 and 78 don’t really count because I was still in 1st and 2nd grade. I went through the dysfunctional 80′s which were tough but at least I would eventually watch Charlie Hayes catch a pop-up and hear Joe Buck yell “The Yankees Are Champions Of Baseball” and then watch them in 6 more WS with them winning 4 more. What if I was a Cub’s fan? YIKES!! Not to mention that life is just simply better today. The Internet is so huge (BTW, someone should thank Mr. Internet because what a great concept) When I was a kid I watched all the games I could on WPIX 11 but today I live in AZ and I watch Yankee games b/c of the internet and MLB.com. Back in the day, if I was not near a TV in Connecticut then I was SOL!!

8. nettles
      January 22nd, 2010 | 12:41 am

I think the 40s and 50s would have been the best era to see baseball in New York. Not just the Yankees, but the Giants and Dodgers as well. For eleven seasons in a row, a New York team played in the World Series. You could walk down a street in a residential neighborhood and never miss a pitch because everyone had their windows open and the game on. Teams played in great old ballparks like Yankee Stadium (before it was remodeled), the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field. The game seemed simpler then. You read stories about how players would walk or take the subway to the ballpark. I was born in 1963, so I never got to see that era, but I would have loved to.