• Are Cubs & Yankees Shopping At The Same Store?

Posted by on January 26th, 2010 · Comments (26)

Via Bruce Levine -

The Chicago Cubs appear close to adding outfield depth. A decision on free agents Xavier Nady, Reed Johnson, Jonny Gomes or Jermaine Dye appears imminent.

If the Yankees have a preference among these guys, maybe they should get cracking and beat the Cubs to it? Then again, maybe New York is more interested in someone else…like Rocco Baldelli or Jim Edmonds?

Man, I’m warning you now, if the Yankees sign Jim Edmonds…well, let’s just say that I’ll have a few comments on that one, if it happens.

Update: The Cubs have reportedly signed Nady.

Comments on Are Cubs & Yankees Shopping At The Same Store?

1. YankCrank
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:03 pm

—–

If the Yankees sign Edmonds in any capacity other than a non-roster invitee, I don’t think there will be a Yankee fan on earth who disagrees with you.

2. Corey
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:03 pm

Did you see that the Tigers expect Austin Jackson to hit lead off? Eek.

3. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:08 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Bingo. Edmonds would be a ridiculous signing. Laughable, really.

4. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:09 pm

PS – Good riddance to Nady. He joins the collection of OF stiffs on the Cubs which, by default, will make him look like the best OF on that ballclub.

5. YankCrank
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:15 pm

@ MJ:

I know you hate him, but I wish him well. He may be uninspiring, but he did everything he could to get back on the field last year.

6. Corey
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:17 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Yup. Gotta give him props for that.

7. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:21 pm

@ YankCrank:
      @ Corey:
      I neither wish him well nor wish him harm. I just want him as far away from the Bronx as possible. I never understood why people got so fixated with him.

8. YankCrank
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:45 pm

MJ wrote:

I never understood why people got so fixated with him.

I can only speak for myself, but by the trading deadline of ’08 I was sick and tired of watching Abreu play RF like he was wearing ice skates. The Nady deal, to me, meant that Abreu was gone in ’09, along with Giambi, and the all bat-no glove guys were a thing of the past.

Not like Nady was a whiz with the glove, but if you look at Abreu’s defensive numbers in ’08, we could have stuck a bat in the RF ground with a glove attached to it and the chances of recording an out were the same, if not better.

9. Corey
      January 26th, 2010 | 1:56 pm

YankCrank wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but by the trading deadline of ‘08 I was sick and tired of watching Abreu play RF like he was wearing ice skates.

You can speak for me on this, too ;)

10. GDH
      January 26th, 2010 | 2:07 pm

Corey wrote:

Good one – good grief he was hard to watch out there. Almost as bad as Chuck Knobloch air mailing throws from 2B.

Seems like the consensus is the LF market is finally moving. My guess is Reed Johnson or Damon by the weekend.

11. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 2:17 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Not like Nady was a whiz with the glove, but if you look at Abreu’s defensive numbers in ‘08, we could have stuck a bat in the RF ground with a glove attached to it and the chances of recording an out were the same, if not better.

Thus the peril of looking at just one year’s worth of defensive data. The year before, Abreu played RF at -2.5 and the year after, for the Angels, he played it at -12.1. Given the enormous discrepancy between -2.5 and -25.3 (the year in which he was playing RF on ice skates).

Was Abreu a bad defensive player? Honestly, I don’t know. The numbers sure don’t paint a clear picture and trusting one’s own eyes is often a recipe for self-deception.

Anyway, that’s not to rehash the Abreu/Nady debate as much as to point out that I’m still waiting on the inventors of UZR to clean up their system in such a way such that it becomes a more meaningful statistic.

12. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 2:23 pm

Since there’s no such thing as an off-topic post anymore (what, with the Water Cooler going away), did anyone see this:

I wonder if it’s incentive-based or if it’s a straight $10M. If it’s the latter, the A’s sure didn’t get a good deal given how late in the season it is and how much leverage they should’ve had over Sheets at this point.

That being said, if Sheets truly is back to health, $10M is a fair price for him. Sheets/Anderson/Cahill/Duchscherer isn’t a bad four-man rotation. Makes you wonder why the Mets didn’t pony up for the same price.

13. January 26th, 2010 | 2:30 pm

MJ wrote:

Makes you wonder why the Mets didn’t pony up for the same price.

I heard it was because Sheets could not produce a birth certificate from the D.R. or P.R.

14. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 2:31 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

LOL :-)

Then how do you explain Jason Bay? Was he born while his parents were vacationing in Punta Cana?

15. YankCrank
      January 26th, 2010 | 2:36 pm

@ MJ:

My only rationalization for the Mets is they already have multiple question marks in their rotation and need a sure thing, which Sheets is not…especially at $10 million for one year.

May not make sense, but neither do the Mets. It’s all I can come up with.

16. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 2:39 pm

@ YankCrank:
      I think the best answer you came up with was that the Mets don’t make sense.

Pineiro and Sheets off the table for market or slightly below-market deals. I have no idea what or who the Mets think they’ll be signing to start games between the rehabbing Johan and the dogshit remainder of that staff.

How Omar is employed at this point is beyond me.

17. YankCrank
      January 26th, 2010 | 2:40 pm

MJ wrote:

How Omar is employed at this point is beyond me.

I ask myself that every time I hear Mets news. You gotta admit though, he sure makes things fun and interesting for us Yankee fans :)

18. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 3:11 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Absolutely. It’s a joy and a pleasure to have the Mets self-destructing a little bit more each year before our very eyes.

It’s amazing to think that they were a few outs away from the World Series in 2006 and are now closer to last place than they are to first. I love it. You know who else loves it? Willie Randolph.

19. #15
      January 26th, 2010 | 3:14 pm

Paging Dr. Boras… Paging Dr. Scott Boras…….

Another outfield spot filled and Johnny D continues to wait by the phone. The A’s sign Sheets, meaning Damon is probably off their list too. I still think Damon is a perfect fit for our #2 hole. If Cashman gets Johhny for 5 million or less, he deserves some props. 2 million or less and he deserves consideration for executive of the year.

20. BOHAN
      January 26th, 2010 | 4:29 pm

i wouldnt have mind seeing nady back in pinstripes. he was a professional type player came to the field did his job and kept his mouth shut. seemed like a good guy and was a pretty good ball player. i think the yanks should go sign baldelli. u can platoon him and gardner in lf or do something where granderson plays lf when gardner plays and plays cf when baldelli plays or whatever. baldelli rips lefties and is perfect for that type of platoon situation. and on the ben sheets signing hes gettin 10 mill plus incetives. i love ben sheets and think hes going to pitch great this especially for the a’s but i dont think i woulda gave him that much money after coming off TJ and not pitching for more then a yr. and on another yankee note yankees made a small trade for a minor league OF from the rangers by the name Greg Golson. dont know to much bout him but baseball america ranked him “best athlete” “fastest runner” and “best OF arm” in the texas organization before last year. future LFer possibly? if he learns how to hit a bit more. hes only 24 btw

21. BOHAN
      January 26th, 2010 | 4:39 pm

and to put everyone at ease a bit i just read that cashman said that they have no interest at all in edmonds.

22. Corey
      January 26th, 2010 | 5:01 pm

MJ wrote:

Seriously? You don’t know? No more games off for you, sir!

23. MJ
      January 26th, 2010 | 5:10 pm

Corey wrote:

Seriously? You don’t know? No more games off for you, sir!

There are people that swore that Derek Jeter was a good defensive shortstop from 2004-2008. The metrics say otherwise. So, who do we believe? Similarly, the metrics swing wildly on Abreu from 2007-2009. Who do we believe?

All I’m saying is that if you blindly trust defensive metrics — which, in my opinion, are deeply flawed and not yet trustworthy enough to blindly cite in argumentation — then you have to account for certain realities such as the Abreu and Jeter arguments that don’t go neatly along with the conventional wisdom.

24. Corey
      January 26th, 2010 | 7:20 pm

MJ wrote:

Who do we believe?

I believe my eyes, man! Abreu acted like the wall was going to give him herpes if he touched it. He was afraid to go to his right too because he was afraid of colliding with the Melk Man. I could never forget all the times I yelled at him through my tv.

Really, with defense, I only tend to notice when a player is atrocious (Abreu) or outstanding (Teixeira). The average defensive player I don’t really take much notice of, and that’s where I’d put Jeter.

While there’s no doubt that they serve a purpose, we cannot forget that box scores and numbers do not tell the entire story. If they did, they wouldn’t bother playing the games.

25. Corey
      January 26th, 2010 | 7:25 pm

Corey wrote:

To clarify, that is during the time-frame you suggested (2004-2008). Although I’d imagine the later part of the range is where we started to see past a diving Jeter.

I would like to see a year by year aerial shot comparison of Jeter’s defensive positioning. I have a hunch that at some point he fell in love with the jump throw, resulting in him positioning more in the hole. Perhaps as an effect, Jeter lost a lot of balls up the middle. Last year, he started positioning himself more toward the middle and out of the hole, and he suddenly made all the plays that he had been missing the past few years. As an effect to that, we saw a lot fewer jump throws successfully attempted. Heck, I could only remember 1 time off the top of my head where he got a guy out with the jump throw this past year.

26. 77yankees
      January 26th, 2010 | 7:33 pm

Corey wrote:

Abreu acted like the wall was going to give him herpes if he touched it.

Abreu & Matt Lawton are the only two Yankee OF I’ve ever seen who were wall-phobic.

I think if you watch a team over a whole season, a knowledgable fan could give a pretty good scouting report of his of the team’s strengths and weaknesses. I think anyone on this board would agree with comments like “Jeter is good to his right but weak up the middle” or “Posada is weak on blocking balls outside the catcher’s box” or “A-Rod is shaky on pop-ups.”