• Cashman & Levine’s Excellent Adventure

Posted by on January 31st, 2010 · Comments (28)

Want to know where Brian and Randy are these days? Via Kyodo News:

New York Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman (L) and President Randy Levine show the World Series trophy after they arrive at Narita International Airport, east of Tokyo, on Jan. 31, 2010, to accompany the trophy’s six-day tour in Asia. The trophy will be shown on Feb. 1 at the MLB cafe in Tokyo along with the Yomiuri Giants’ 2009 Japan Series trophy. The World Series trophy will then be taken to China and Hong Kong.

I can just hear those Japanese baseball fans now…

見て、短い一人井川慶に4600万ドル費やしたばかです。

[Translation: Look, the short one is the idiot who spent $46 million on Kei Igawa.]

Comments on Cashman & Levine’s Excellent Adventure

1. MJ
      January 31st, 2010 | 9:40 pm

I may be wrong but from what I recall, Kei Igawa was a fairly well-regarded pitcher in the Japanese leagues. I don’t think they’d be calling Cashman an idiot for signing one of the top strikeout pitchers in Japan, after all.

2. YankCrank
      January 31st, 2010 | 9:54 pm

Just you wait, the K-man will have his moment.

3. 77yankees
      January 31st, 2010 | 9:55 pm

Those two are used to hearing the term “ah-so”.

4. Rich
      February 1st, 2010 | 12:29 am

Although the Igawa signing can fairly be imputed to Cash since it was on his watch, that one bad decision must be balanced against all the good ones he made that led to a WS championship.

5. jay
      February 1st, 2010 | 6:28 am

Look, the short one is the idiot who spent $46 million on Kei Igawa

Steve – I thought personal attacks were forbade? Or does that only apply to the other posters and not you?

6. clintfsu813
      February 1st, 2010 | 8:22 am

Good ol hindsight..its a shame baseball is 100% idiot proof ;)

7. Corey
      February 1st, 2010 | 9:07 am

At least it wasn’t a “Bogus Journey” :P

8. February 1st, 2010 | 9:42 am

@ jay: It’s a joke, that’s all.

9. February 1st, 2010 | 9:49 am

MJ wrote:

Well, FWIW, those who watched him in Japan, when he came over here, didn’t think that he would be a huge successs:

10. February 1st, 2010 | 9:54 am

Rich wrote:

Rich – I have a challenge for you. Name the top twenty Brian Cashman moves where it cost the team less than $60 million dollars (on each). And, then, name the top twenty worst moves that Brian Cashman has made as Yankees GM – regardless of cost. I’d really like to see your two lists and commentary on the net result – if they offset.

I bet, you’ll see, that – at best – he’s a 50-50 GM in terms of success rate when he’s not going out and getting mega-talents for gobs of the Steinbrenner money.

11. YankCrank
      February 1st, 2010 | 10:13 am

So, i’m sure all of you heard that Joba plans on showing up to camp two weeks early to prep for that 5-spot competition.

I like it. Hopefully he goes in, works hard and regains some feel for his pitches that aren’t a fastball and slider.

I also could care less who wins it. I just hope these guys push each other, work hard and know that the winner may have the job, but if they get too content and slip a little there are still four other arms waiting to take that spot.

12. MJ
      February 1st, 2010 | 11:43 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      And my comments to that post still stand:

The poll was unscientific and asked which players would be successful. Considering three of the five were already established major leaguers, it’s not surprising that Igawa finished fourth. Hardly proves your point that “those who watched him in Japan, when he came over here, didn’t think that he would be a huge successs.”

I’m not debating the results of Igawa’s time in MLB but I think it’s odd to call Cashman an idiot for signing a guy that racked up K’s in Japan and was looking for a 5th starter. Until you can prove that Japanese observers thought it a bad move, your point doesn’t stand.

13. MJ
      February 1st, 2010 | 11:47 am

@ YankCrank:
      Indeed. I really, truly hope that (1) he finds his curveball and changeup and (2) works with Eiland and the team’s catchers at changing his approach.

We can all be encouraged that he’s showing up early and we should all hope that he’s coming to camp in good physical condition. Hopefully this is a big year for Chamberlain. Hopefully he realizes that. Seems like he does.

February 1st, 2010 | 11:48 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Which probably places him in line with the rest of the GM’s in MLB. There’s a list floating around of all his moves he made, but it’s outdated, going up to 2008, IIRC.

15. YankCrank
      February 1st, 2010 | 11:50 am

MJ wrote:

Wow, looks like a ring and a long offseason can make even the biggest haters forget about #62 :)

February 1st, 2010 | 11:50 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

MJ wrote:

Actually, the links provided to prior entries is probably more relevant to the Igawa discussion.

17. clintfsu813
      February 1st, 2010 | 11:55 am

Was just about to comment on that, lol.

February 1st, 2010 | 12:07 pm

Raf wrote:

Steve Lombardi wrote:

The list can be found @ MLBTraderumors.com, and the last transaction listed was the Clippard for Albaladejo trade.

19. MJ
      February 1st, 2010 | 12:10 pm

@ YankCrank:
      @ clintfsu813:
      Didn’t I post somewhere that I had forgiven Chamberlain and was willing to give him a clean slate for 2010?

I still think my criticisms of him are valid but I’m more than happy to let him try to make me love him like I did back in 2007 and 2008. The only guy on the team that I’m going to give the “Nady” treatment to is Nick Johnson. Hate that dude.

20. Corey
      February 1st, 2010 | 12:35 pm

MJ wrote:

I’ll vouch for that.

21. clintfsu813
      February 1st, 2010 | 12:44 pm

@ MJ:
      I’ve forgiven you..but I dont think Joba ever will ;)

22. MJ
      February 1st, 2010 | 12:53 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      LOL!! :-)

23. YankCrank
      February 1st, 2010 | 1:08 pm

MJ wrote:

Jury is still out on who my new “Melky” is.

24. MJ
      February 1st, 2010 | 1:39 pm

@ YankCrank:
      The nice thing is that we’re about 3 weeks away from the start of the season so you can start sorting out the guy you’ll hate!

Man I love this time of year…

25. clintfsu813
      February 1st, 2010 | 1:53 pm

Maybe its just me, but I’m not really looking for someone to hate, lol. I consider The Yanks my team, so I’m pretty supportive of everyone through thick and thin..unless they really start sucking a la Contreras, Pavano, etc.

26. MJ
      February 1st, 2010 | 2:36 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      I’m not looking for anyone to hate, they just pop up. I loved Chamberlain before June of ’09. I liked Nick Johnson back in ’02 and ’03.

27. clintfsu813
      February 1st, 2010 | 3:34 pm

@ MJ:
      I know..just givin ya shit, lol

28. Kamieniecki
      November 14th, 2013 | 2:45 am

MJ wrote:

And Cashman is very well-regarded by his peers. A 5′-11″ Japanese finesse pitcher with a fastball around 90 m.p.h. – that had disaster written all over it.