• The Damon Drama Continues…

Posted by on February 16th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via Sam Borden -

[Brian Cashman] says the notion that the Yankees didn’t “engage” with Damon is just plain false and that, despite media reports that Damon might sign for $7 million a year, he fully expects Damon to get the Bobby Abreu-type money of at least $9 million a year.

“I mean, that’s what they said when they turned down our last offer,” Cashman told me. “I told them I was at the level of two years, $13 million and they said ‘no bleeping way’ and then we even floated the one year, $6 million with deferred money and they pointed to the Bobby Abreu deal. So I fully expect him to get Abreu money, unless they were playing us the entire winter. That would be like playing poker without any hand at all and, you know, maybe they did that.”

“I’m sure in the past, I have, I’ve put some things away but in this case, we did what we could,” he said. “We absolutely did what we could. The information we got from them was loud and clear. We followed Johnny’s guidelines, Johnny’s path. What’s happening now is a lot of spin doctoring by the agent. It didn’t work out. Don’t try to make us look bad or the Yankees look bad. That’s not right.”

And people laughed when Bob Raissman called Cashman thin-skinned

Brian, it’s over. He’s not going to play for your team. Why even talk about Damon and Boras anymore?

Comments on The Damon Drama Continues…

1. February 16th, 2010 | 5:35 pm

“Don’t try to make us look bad or the Yankees look bad. That’s not right.””

That’s why he talked about it, because the Boras spin machine is still in motion. Also, because he keeps getting asked about it. I guess he could no comment, but when Boras is spreading what he perceives to be mis-information, why should he? I certainly have no idea how this qualifies as “Embarrassing the Stripes.”

February 16th, 2010 | 5:52 pm

I don’t think it’s being thin-skinned as much as being impatient with idiots.

3. BOHAN
      February 16th, 2010 | 6:03 pm

maybe the reporter asked him a question about damon and he answered his question.

4. Corey Italiano
      February 16th, 2010 | 6:19 pm

Raf wrote:

I don’t think it’s being thin-skinned as much as being impatient with idiots.

Agreed.

5. February 16th, 2010 | 6:49 pm

BOHAN wrote:

Corey Italiano wrote:

Raf wrote:
      I don’t think it’s being thin-skinned as much as being impatient with idiots.
      Agreed.

Agreed on both.

6. Pat F
      February 16th, 2010 | 7:55 pm

steve – you have a single white female obsession with brian cashman.

7. February 17th, 2010 | 9:24 am

[...] Damon still does not have a job, though he seems close to finding [...]

8. jrk
      February 17th, 2010 | 11:15 am

I don’t see anything wrong with Cashman protecting himself and Yankees by REBUTTING apparent lies by an egomaniacal agent, and trying to fill everyone in on the truth

9. Evan3457
      February 18th, 2010 | 10:08 pm

Bob Raissman is much thinner-skinned than Brian Cashman.