• Happy Spring Training

Posted by on February 17th, 2010 · Comments (20)

Some how waiting for spring training to arrive is not as agonizing when you have the defending World Series Championship to look forward to.  In addition, with the Jets making it all the way to the Championship round in the NFL, I had plenty of sports to keep me busy from early November until now.

That said, I am super psyched that spring training is finally here.  (I readily admit that I will become annoyed with spring training in approximately 2.5 weeks and demand the season begin already, but I digress.)

Let us all celebrate Pitchers and Catchers with random Yankee predictions for the 2010 season.  (Incidentally, how did everyone land on the whole correct-way-to-say-2010 thing?  Two thousand ten, or twenty ten?)

Anyway, Jeteupthemiddle’s 2010 Bold and Not So Bold Predictions:

• The Yankees will score 892 runs.
    • Left field will be a rotation of various players–like it was prior to Matsui joining the team–like right field was post-O’Neill and pre-Sheffield–It will be a success.  (And by success, I mean left and center field will combine for league average offense.)
    • Kei Igawa will make 3 starts for the Yankees and not entirely suck in any of them.  Shockingly, he will not be rewarded with a contract extension.
    • Mark Melancon will start the season with the Yankees, go back to Scranton in early May, and then return for good in July.
    • Two players not named Mariano Rivera will record at least 1 save for the Yankees.  Rivera is not hurt.
    • Pettitte–not Sabathia–will make the most starts for the Yankees this season.
    • Jeteupthemiddle will become entirely annoyed by the Hughes innings limit conversation approximately 6 days into spring training (assuming she isn’t there already).  She will probably want to gouge out her eyes with a rusty spoon sometime around August when Hughes will be approaching that innings cap.
    • Posada will not go on the DL this season.
    • Jeter will have a 20/20 season.
    • Joba will start the season in the bullpen, and Hughes will start the season in the rotation; however, both will appear for the Yankees in each capacity at least once in 2010.

So there you go.  Here are 10 predictions I have for the season.  What are your predictions?

Comments on Happy Spring Training

1. Scout
      February 17th, 2010 | 6:00 pm

All are plausible, save one — Igawa will NOT make three starts for the Yankees. He will never start for them again. The only way he makes three starts is if an epidemic strikes down every major league, AAA, and AA starter. I will make three starts for the Yankees before Igawa does, and I have not pitched in several decades.

2. long time listener
      February 17th, 2010 | 6:43 pm

@ Scout:
      I will make 3 starts for the 1927 Yankees before Igawa makes 3 starts for the 2010 Yankees. That’s right – not only will I find a way to travel backwards in time, I will find the ability to pitch on one of the greatest teams ever.

3. clintfsu813
      February 17th, 2010 | 6:46 pm

LMAO

4. jrk
      February 17th, 2010 | 7:34 pm

@ long time listener:
      HAHAHA amazing

5. 77yankees
      February 17th, 2010 | 8:22 pm

Here’s a couple:

Jesus Montero, tearing up SWB, is called up in June when Posada goes on the DL. He does a Kevin Maas/Shane Spencer with 5 HR in his first 40 AB and becomes an instant sensation. He’s sent back to AAA to play every day when Posada returns but is recalled in mid-August, never to play another minor league game.

David Robertson surprisingly emerges as the 8th inning set up man and leads all MLB relievers not named Broxton in strikeouts with 94 in 70 IP.

6. jrk
      February 18th, 2010 | 12:15 am

Damaso Marte returns to regular season form, Boone Logan is…well Boone Logan, and the Yankees are thinking where the hell are we going to get a lefty reliever? And then they cycle through a rotation of minor leaguers and make a trade or two until they find a “serviceable” lefty for the rest of the season. But in the end, most of the rest of the bullpen is ROCK solid, making up for the lack of lefty, and (potentially) saving Steve from titling a blog post: “Cashman’s thirsty, but no Coke to be found”, and MJ responding, “You’re really gunna go there when Granderson has launched 30 longballs?”

7. Tresh Fan
      February 18th, 2010 | 12:42 am

Re: Spring Training Predictions

Casey Stengel had a way of fending them off.
      Reporter: “Where will the Yankees finish this season, Casey?”
      Stengel: “In Boston.”

8. Jake1
      February 18th, 2010 | 8:58 am

i really dislike any post here except for steve.

maybe we needed tryouts like american idol

9. Corey Italiano
      February 18th, 2010 | 9:09 am

77yankees wrote:

That’s not a surprise, I’ve been talking D-Rob up for a while now.

10. Corey Italiano
      February 18th, 2010 | 9:13 am

Jake1 wrote:

i really dislike any post here except for steve.
      maybe we needed tryouts like american idol

You should give it a chance before you start casting aspersions. Remember, the season hasn’t started yet.

11. Corey Italiano
      February 18th, 2010 | 9:23 am

=========
      I actually think Melancon will open in Scranton. I said this last year, say it again, I’d bet money on Albaladejo making the team out of ST…Girardi loves him.

12. butchie22
      February 18th, 2010 | 11:48 am

Steve, you are a Jets guy? I’m a Long Island guy BUT I’m a Giants fan. Very interesting. Jets and Giants fans don’t have the animus that Yankee and Mets fans have towards each other though.

My prediction? Randy Winless AKA MR AAAA, Chis Carlin Johnson, Mr Junior Varsity AKA Second Half No Star and Mr Media Savvy Granderson will not equal the contributions (not even close) of Damonic, Gojira and Mr “I like womens” Milkman. And the Yanks will have to make some moves this summer (as always) to offset Cash Man’s somewhat ill advised moves.

13. February 18th, 2010 | 11:50 am

@ butchie22:

I didn’t author this one.

@ Jake1:

I actually like the job our other authors have done so far. But, then again, since I picked all these authors, I knew that I would like them. ;-)

14. YankCrank
      February 18th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

butchie22 wrote:

What are you talking about? The Yankees made one minor move of trading for Jerry Hairston Jr. last year at the summer deadline and won the World Series? Remember, that trophy that we won four short months ago? Please, before you bash our WS Champion General Manager, stop to make sure you have your facts straight.

15. clintfsu813
      February 18th, 2010 | 12:04 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I concur. Great job guys..and gal! ;)

16. cr1
      February 18th, 2010 | 12:04 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Not so much, but willing to be patient. So far one is heavy on overheated cliche, the other boy-coy, but given time they may settle down and act like they’ve been out of the basement before.

And to fellow commenters — let’s all root for that, because getting some support seems to be the price for keeping Steve going here!

And to the new guys — in my experience the first 60 days of any new gig is the hardest, but it all smooths out if you learn along the way.

17. Corey Italiano
      February 18th, 2010 | 12:36 pm

cr1 wrote:

boy-coy? lol

I think it will be a lot easier once they start playing. I know that’s when I’ll be posting with more frequency, because I like to write about things that I see rather than opinions of what other people see.

18. Jeteupthemiddle Allie
      February 18th, 2010 | 1:24 pm

@ butchie22:

As for the Jets and the Giants, I think I would classify myself as more of a Giants fan, but I root for both teams every weekend.

I think the difference between rooting for both the Jets and the Giants and rooting for the Yankees and the Mets is that the football teams never play at the same time, so it is easy to root for both teams.

In fact, this year when the Jets, Giants, and Yankees (clinching game) were all playing at the same time, I had three TVs set up in my living room so I could watch all three.

19. 77yankees
      February 18th, 2010 | 8:14 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

77yankees wrote:
      That’s not a surprise, I’ve been talking D-Rob up for a while now.

I liked D-Rob and Coke when they both came up in 2008 because you could tell they weren’t scared out there, unlike what was in the pen at the time in Jose Veras, for instance.

Robertson just needs to cut down on the walks, which comes in part with experience. Too early to tell if he could be the closer when Mo hangs em up, but you can see he’s got the mental aspect to be a huge contributor.

20. Jake1
      February 19th, 2010 | 9:20 am

@ Corey Italiano:

ive given it a shot. you new guys havent done anything to blow me or anyone else away here. u cant come in here with lame posts about predictions now or 5 yrs down the line. that one will live in infamy