• When Will The Yankees Promote Brian Cashman?

Posted by on February 18th, 2010 · Comments (6)

The Indians have just promoted Mark Shapiro to team president and Chris Antonetti to G.M. (replacing Shapiro).

We’ve seen moves like this before, recently, in baseball. Such as:

• The Marlins naming Michael Hill as G.M. replacing Larry Beinfest who became president of baseball operations.
    • Terry Ryan becoming a senior adviser for the Twins with Bill Smith taking over as G.M.
    • John Schuerholz becoming team president for the Braves with Frank Wren getting promoted to G.M.

So, when will it happen in Yankeeland? After being G.M. of the Yankees for the last dozen years, isn’t it time for Brian Cashman to get promoted to team president too? I mean, has anyone been G.M. of the Yankees as long as Cashman?

Or, is Cashman the Susan Lucci of G.M.’s, and he’s going to have to wait forever to get the presidency prize…that so many are now getting before him?

Comments on When Will The Yankees Promote Brian Cashman?

1. chicken stanley
      February 18th, 2010 | 1:58 pm

Wow, you and I must have a very different view of these kinds of “promotions.” I don’t view these as promotions at all, but merely a way to force a more senior person (typically, but not always, it’s someone whose best days are far behind him) to be less active in day-to-day roster management, while acknowledging his past accomplishments and abilities to do some things right. I think of it as akin to the “failing upward” phenomenon you see at many Fortune 500 companies.

2. February 18th, 2010 | 2:07 pm

@ chicken stanley:
      In the case of Ryan, Schuerholz, and Shapiro, it seems pretty clear from the circumstances that they were in fact promotions, and I would assume the same with Beinfest. For example, in the case of Shapiro, he had been transitioning towards the business side of things voluntarily for a while now, and delegating lots of pure baseball stuff to Antonelli. They didnt want to lose Antonelli, so they just made the shift official and gave him the title.

3. chicken stanley
      February 18th, 2010 | 2:31 pm

I understand that’s how it was sold in those cases, and don’t think it’s unreasonable to view them as voluntary promotions, but I am not personally convinced. That’s how these moves are always sold, with lots of internal dynamics that never are made public. (Ryan may be the exception, but I don’t even think he should be in this category, as he is mainly just an advisor now). Also, my main point is that it’s a different role that necessarily involves taking the exec away from day-to-day control of the team on the field, which it seems clear Cashman would have no interest in at this point. It’s not the same kind of “promotion” as something like bench coach to manager, and it’s not really a promotion that comes with some kind of celebrity cache or perks that Cashman already doesn’t have. So I don’t see how Cashman not having it should make him feel like Susan Lucci.

4. February 18th, 2010 | 5:00 pm

chicken stanley wrote:

This I agree with entirely. Cash clearly still enjoys the control of baseball ops.

5. jay
      February 18th, 2010 | 5:17 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:
      that so many are now getting before him?

Three is ‘so many’? Who knew?

6. MJ Recanati
      February 19th, 2010 | 9:48 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      With Randy Levine and Lonn Trost, why would the Yanks want a third president/CEO? One could argue that the Yanks are already too top-heavy in the senior management department so it certainly doesn’t strike me as odd that Cashman hasn’t been pushed further up. Levine/Trost don’t want to share the executive latrines with a third person and Cashman seems to still enjoy the day-to-day operations that he would have to relinquish if he got this promotion.