• Cashman: Orioles Coming On Fast

Posted by on February 20th, 2010 · Comments (6)

Yankees G.M. Brian Cashman’s take on the Baltimore Orioles, via MASNSports.com with a h/t to BBTF

“[Orioles team president Andy MacPhail] is doing exactly what Andy does best. He is as sharp as they come. Patience is the biggest key. He made such an astute trade with Seattle and now he has a collection of talent. Getting Adam Jones to play with Markakis was remarkable. Now he has one of the bright young outfields.

“Now he’s filling in, taking advantage of the free agent market to protect his young talent and wait for them to pop.

“I remember a few years back when Tampa Bay was perennially losing. Everyone in the industry was following them and saw all their young talent brewing and slowly getting refined. You don’t know, because prospects are suspects until they declare themselves at the Major League level.

“Andy is doing the same thing. Everybody kind of sees the collection of talent. Players with big tools and high ceiling. When you are athletic and have those kinds of tools, when it all comes together, it comes fast.

“The Orioles are a team that has closed the gap, without a doubt. And Andy is showing the patience. I think their fan base will be very, very pleased. All the sudden, before they know it, they’ll have that foundation in place. They just haven’t seen it pop yet at the Major League level.

“They are doing the right things because they have a baseball guy running it. Their owner Peter Angelos hired a tremendous baseball talent in Andy MacPhail. He’s worth his weight in gold.

“The Oriole way is coming back real quick. I went to high school and college in the DC area, so I know how important the Orioles are to that area. It’s a sleeping giant that will emerge again, I promise you.”

The O’s can hit, for sure. If they ever get any pitching…and they do have some prospects in that department…watch out. The A.L. East may just have a fourth beast in the running.

Comments on Cashman: Orioles Coming On Fast

1. Evan3457
      February 20th, 2010 | 3:14 pm

Agreed.

The keys are Tillman, Matusz, and then they need Wieters to develop as projected to anchor the offense.

If they get those three things, they’re an 85-win team right now. Even in this division.

2. 77yankees
      February 20th, 2010 | 6:40 pm

I think 85 may be pushing it. I think with the loss of Halladay, the Orioles will certainly leapfrog Toronto, maybe get in the 76 win range or close to .500.

And if Carl Crawford leaves Tampa in the off season, then I can see Baltimore jumping them and joining the Yankee/Sox triumverate in 2011.

3. butchie22
      February 21st, 2010 | 9:21 am

I give Cash Man credit. He’s right about the Os. Nice evaluation by him. With what Mac Phail has been doing, it will reap dividends in the near future. They have the pitching prospects so let’s see what happens.They can hit really well and that’s at least something BUT it’s still arguably one third of the equation in terms of being a total team on all levels.

I also like what Anthopoulos (in his short tenure thus far) has done with Toronto. Ricciardi already had brought up a gaggle of good young pitchers and he’s traded for some more potential talent. Toronto is slightly ahead of the Os in terms of the pitching development whereas the Os can hit and the Jays are weak in that department.

@ 77 Yankees, 76 wins might be where they are at. I think the Blackbirds might hit .500 this year. As for Bluebirds,65 wins would be right for them. I see both of these teams actually becoming dominant in the 2012 season. It would be like a blast from the past to see Balty and TO back at the top of the charts so to speak. I remember the Oriole Way and Cashman did a nice job of assessing the situation.

February 21st, 2010 | 9:54 am

McPhail better send a thank you card to Bill Bavazi… The Bedard trade is the gift that keeps on giving :)

5. Evan3457
      February 22nd, 2010 | 2:51 am

@ 77yankees:
      I said 85 wins if the get Tillman, Matusz and Wieters; meaning, if all three show good progress this year, each one could be a 3-5 game improvement over what the O’s had last year.

Hence: 15 games.