• Johnny Damon & Tigers Agree To Deal

Posted by on February 20th, 2010 · Comments (18)

Via the Detroit Free Press

The Tigers have agreed on a one-year contract worth $8 million with free agent Johnny Damon, the Free Press learned tonight from a person familiar with the negotiations.

The contract also includes a no-trade clause. Thus the Tigers, if they fall out of this year’s playoff race, can’t send Damon to a club he doesn’t wish to go to.

Damon, 36, must pass a physical for the deal to become official. It’s not expected the Tigers will announce the signing after Damon passes the physical.

Well, supposedly, the Yankees offered Damon a two-year deal for $14 million and then later a one-year deal for $6 million with about half of that money deferred at no interest. So, in the end, Damon did get a higher salary with the Tigers – albeit just on a one year-deal. And, the state taxes in Michigan are around 4.35% compared to the near 9% that Johnny would pay in New York. So, what do you think, in the end, did Johnny Damon make the right move?

Comments on Johnny Damon & Tigers Agree To Deal

1. Jeteupthemiddle Allie
      February 20th, 2010 | 7:58 pm

Damon probably made the right move for 2010; however, I can’t imagine his offers next offseason will be any more spectacular than they were this year. Not after he will spend a year playing outfield in Detroit. He’ll lose power and whatever semblance of a reputation on defense he had (and there wasn’t much) will instantly be gone.

Of course, to you and me and anyone reading this (although I suppose I shouldn’t presume), 1 year and even $2M is nothing to sneeze at for 2011.

2. piplom
      February 20th, 2010 | 8:59 pm

Well, this definitely wasn’t the offer Damon had in mind when he turned the Yankees down.

3. jrk
      February 20th, 2010 | 9:32 pm

I thought he’d end with $5 mil, I’m suprised.

@ Jeteupthemiddle Allie:
      You’re reasoning on why he is hurting himself for beyond this season by playing in Detroit makes sense. But for that exact reasoning is why I say he made the wrong move for 2010, because I presume he will want to play another few years, and a decline in numbers in Detroit could very well hurt his future contracts more than he gained this year by signing with the Tigers. Plus, he passed up coming back to a WS champion team and a much better city.

4. 77yankees
      February 20th, 2010 | 10:45 pm

Well, anyway, on Opening Day in the Stadium, when Matsui comes to bat in an Angel uniform for the first time, he’ll get a thunderous standing ovation.

As will Damon when he steps up to bat with the Tigers when they visit on August 16th.

Unless, of course, Damon’s back in pinstripes by then.

5. February 21st, 2010 | 8:29 am

FWIW, in 189 lifetime PA in Comerica Park, Damon’s BA/OBA/SLG line is:

.363/.412/.550

he may only end up hitting 15 HRs in 2010, but, Comerica should not kill his other numbers.

6. butchie22
      February 21st, 2010 | 9:03 am

It’s funny to hear dopes like Mike Kay prattle on about why the Toothless Tigers of Burned Down Detroit got rid of Granderson and got Damonic instead. The reason is quite simple. They saw his putrid OBP numbers, his lefty hitting and OBP splits were bad and the fact that he was failing to catch routine pop ups. They sold high on a commodity whose skills they saw as diminishing. Add to the fact that Media Savvy Granderson was too ensconced in community activities and not enough in game prep

Good Luck to Damonic, he’s a good guy and a good ball player. The Yanks should have kept one of the Gojira/Damonic tandem BUT erred on that note. I feel that he’ll be decent in Detroit. Yeah, he did want too much from the Yanks BUT Randy Winless sure ain’t one half of what Damonic, maybe even one tenth of what JD was ! ;)

February 21st, 2010 | 9:44 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Yeah, I see Damon posting numbers close to his career norms

February 21st, 2010 | 9:51 am

butchie22 wrote:

9. MJ Recanati
      February 21st, 2010 | 10:28 am

Jeteupthemiddle Allie wrote:

If Abreu could have a semi-bounceback defensively, why can’t Damon? And, as someone else pointed out, Damon hits just fine in Comerica and didn’t show any real reason for the Yanks or anyone else to think his offensive numbers would decline in 2010.

I think the Tigers bid against themselves by a couple of million but I definitely think they got themselves a good player on a fair deal for one year.

10. jay
      February 21st, 2010 | 11:06 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I think the Tigers bid against themselves by a couple of million

Bid against themselves by a couple of million? Surely you recognize that it takes more than (other teams offer) + $1 to grab a free agent you want. This isn’t ‘The Price is Right.’ The White Sox were involved for a few million less than Damon signed for, and Dombrowski did what he felt he had to do to get a player he wanted.

11. YankCrank
      February 21st, 2010 | 11:06 am

I tip my cap to Boras. Really looks like the Tigers bid against themselves and gave Damon a few million more than they needed to, and hey, Boras did what he usually does. Good luck to Johnny as well, he really did have a fantastic four years as a Yankee.

12. butchie22
      February 21st, 2010 | 12:21 pm

Raf wrote:

butchie22 wrote:The reason is quite simple. They saw his putrid OBP numbers, his lefty hitting and OBP splits were bad and the fact that he was failing to catch routine pop ups. They sold high on a commodity whose skills they saw as diminishing.That’s awesome then. Better send Dombrowski a thank you card. He’ll probably give up Verlander and Bonderman on the cheap too.Hopefully Cashman will get Ruben Amaro on the phone, because they’re having the same problem with Ryan Howard.Having said that, this is a good fit for the Tiggers, but I doubt that it will be enough to put them in the playoffs.

Raf, you never cease to
      amaze me.Ironic that I had heard Tom Verducci of all people (among others) who echoed the sentiments I’ve expressed! You like Granderson that much? C’mon did you even watch any Tigers games last years? Oh ,I forgot Fangraphs doesn’t televise games! TOUCHE’ HAHHAHAHAH!

In your so-called critique you failed to actualy digest the stats you so readily embrace. Grandy could be a butcher in the field last year,mate. That example was more scouting which is not stat based BUT you’ve been to tons of games however. His lefty/righty splits weren’t that great . And his OBP? Verlander?! Granderson is not in the same page or let alone the same book as Verlander,not an apt example.Verlander when he’s on is a great pitcher, Mr Media Savvy is at best a very good player. C’mon bring something better to the table than that mate.:)

Seriously though Raf, they did well by trading Grandy and they got something in return for him. Dombrowski evaluated Mr Media Savvy and decided watching him miss routine pop-ups and not having great OBP numbers etc ad nausem was enough for him to want to go younger(irony of all ironies). Funny how it was first seen as a salary dump BUT now the Toothless Tigers kinda/sorta foisted him upon the Yankee$ lap! I think Granderson will be a good addition for New York BUT not a great one. He’ll have some pop and he’s a good citizen BUT it’s not like getting a young Ken Griffey Jr in his prime. Damonic will be OK for Detroit as well. He was perfect for The Lauching Pad AKA The Palace That Greed Built and his performance in Comerica(a pitcher’s park) will reflect how important the New Yankee Stadium was in Damonic’s performance.

YankCrank wrote:

Well said. I liked Damonic I’ll miss him and I wish him the best of luck over in Detroit….. Mr Pizza Pizza Illich didn’t need to pay Damonic that much money BUT hey it’s his money. Borass must be a hypnotist on the side as well as being an agent!

13. MJ Recanati
      February 21st, 2010 | 8:03 pm

@ jay:
      Jay, considering the Yanks had the highest offer at 2Y/$20M and 1Y/$6M, yes, the Tigers bid against themselves by a couple of million. Damon was offered $4.5M by the White Sox and they rescinded the offer because, according to them, he made it seem like it was too low. Now we know why.

I’m not saying a negotiation has to be like “The Price Is Right” but you’re oversimplifying things a bit here. When the Tigers came in at $2M over the highest offer to Damon since early December, yeah, they bid against themselves. I’m not faulting them because I value Damon just as highly as they do. But it’s not like Damon had any other offers within $2M of that figure as far as we can tell.

14. jay
      February 21st, 2010 | 8:50 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ jay:

First, aside from what we get to read in the typical outlets (which we all have access to) it’s hard to know whether Damon just rejected the White Sox offer because of the amount or if his agent asked Kenny Williams to get closer to the Tigers offer and the Tigers withdrew.

Second, you seem to have arbitrarily decided that $1.00 more than an on-the-table contract offer is a oversimplifying example, yet $2,000,000.0 more than an on-the-table contract is ‘bidding against yourself.’

Do you own a home? If you don’t, have you ever watched one of those HGTV shows where a couple starting out buys a home for the first time? They don’t try to speculate what other offers might be out there and then decide on the smallest possible amount to add on top of it to ensure they don’t ‘bid against themselves.’ They come up with an offer that (1) is competitive and (2) gives them a the highest reasonable guarantee (within their budget) that they can get the house. The situations are very comparable. The buyer is interested in getting the product at the best price, sure. But in the end, their main goal is to get the product within their budget. That seems to be what Dombrowski did here.`

February 21st, 2010 | 9:33 pm

butchie22 wrote:

Verducci? Really? You’re not helping your case.

butchie22 wrote:

I can make the same claim about you. Grandy has more than one year on his resume, mate.

butchie22 wrote:

His lefty/righty splits weren’t that great .

Overblown, which is why I brought up Ryan Howard.

butchie22 wrote:

There are very few players that are the caliber of Griffey in his prime. Having said that, they’re getting a player that is as good as if not better than Damon.

16. MJ Recanati
      February 21st, 2010 | 10:16 pm

@ jay:
      I own a home.

Jay, you can phrase it any way you like. All I know is that Damon hadn’t sniffed an offer over $6M since December and just signed a contract for $8M. I don’t know if he would’ve signed for $6.1M or $6.8M but I know that the Tigers went $2M over the highest previous offer. I’m not saying they made a mistake, I’m simply saying that they topped the next highest offer by $2M which, technically speaking, constitutes bidding against themselves.

17. jay
      February 22nd, 2010 | 9:11 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ jay:

No, it doesn’t.

There were other offers. They topped all other offers and their bid was accepted.

Bidding against yourself means just that – there were no other offers, and you came up with a price all by yourself.

While I don’t particularly want to dwell on it, Alex Rodriguez’s contract after he opted out of his previous contract is an example of bidding against yourself. In that situation, there were no other offers, ever. Or at least, there were not made public.

18. Jake1