• Don’t Tell Jeter This Is How The Yankees Used To Roll…

Posted by on February 21st, 2010 · Comments (9)

Let’s flash back to March of 1990, via the New York Times -

[George] Steinbrenner, meanwhile, spent the day signing autographs, greeting players and dodging questions regarding the situation involving Howard Spira.

But he did say that he would take steps to meet with Don Mattingly and his agent, Jim Krivacs, about a new contract this spring. Mattingly is in the final season of a three-year, $6.7 million contract.

Mattingly has said that if a deal is not signed by the end of camp, he will not discuss one until after the season concludes.

”I’m not going to let it sit,” Steinbrenner said. ”We’ll do our best to get together down here.”

So, what happened next? Sixteen days later, Mattingly got his contract – a great deal, indeed. See this, also via the Times -

Today, one day after becoming the richest player in baseball, nothing else has changed about Mattingly. He dressed and then worked out with the rest of his Yankee teammates when rain postponed their season opener against the Cleveland Indians. The game was not rescheduled and it will not affect the Yankee pitching plans. Tim Leary is scheduled to start Wednesday night, with Dave LaPoint pitching the home opener against the Texas Rangers on Thursday.

Mattingly is glad that the deal, which will earn him $19.3 million over five years beginning in 1991, is finally done. And now he wants to end the talk about it.

”I’m not going to look at the papers for a few days,” he said this afternoon, ”because I don’t want to read about it. I’d rather let my playing do all the talking.”

Say what you want about Big Stein, but, back in the day, he was like Bacardi and Cola – he got the job done.

Comments on Don’t Tell Jeter This Is How The Yankees Used To Roll…

1. throwstrikes
      February 21st, 2010 | 12:47 pm

If Jeter and Mo wants to take the same $19.3 million over 5 years that Mattingly agreed to, I bet Cashman would break the rule.

2. February 21st, 2010 | 4:22 pm

@ throwstrikes:
      That contract that Mattingly got in 1990 made him, at that time, “the richest player in baseball.” So, sure, if the Yankees wanted to make Jeter or the Mo the richest in the game now, I bet that would take it.

3. MJ Recanati
      February 21st, 2010 | 8:12 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Mattingly was still at least reasonably believed to be in his prime. It’s so sad how quickly the end came shortly after signing that deal. Breaks my heart, actually, that Donnie couldn’t make it to one more contract.

February 21st, 2010 | 9:36 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ throwstrikes:

Funny how salaries have changed over the years

February 21st, 2010 | 9:37 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ Steve Lombardi:

To be fair, he could’ve gotten another contract, but chose to retire to shore things up at home.

6. MJ Recanati
      February 21st, 2010 | 10:18 pm

@ Raf:
      True, although I don’t know what kind of contract it would’ve been. He was still young (in age) but his body was pretty run down. It would’ve been a much more modest contract, I imagine.

7. 77yankees
      February 21st, 2010 | 10:42 pm

Tim Leary on Opening Day followed by Dave LaPoint…..

I think that flashback made my acid reflux kick in.

8. MJ Recanati
      February 22nd, 2010 | 8:54 am

77yankees wrote:

Tim Leary on Opening Day followed by Dave LaPoint…..
      I think that flashback made my acid reflux kick in.

LOL, seriously.

9. February 23rd, 2010 | 3:44 pm

[...] the weekend, Steve Lombardi at WasWatching highlighted the Mattingly saga. With much attention on the Yanks’ decision not to extend Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter [...]