• Baseball America’s Top-100 List

Posted by on February 23rd, 2010 · Comments (15)

One of my favorite things about late February, besides the onset of spring training, is the annual top-100 list of prospects according to Baseball America.  Although I happen to like Keith Law* and think he’s a pretty astute scout and analyst, BA’s list is the list of record in baseball circles.

Our highlights:
    Yankees: Jesus Montero #4;  Austin Romine #86
    Ex-Yankees: Arodys Vizcaino (Braves) #69; Austin Jackson (Tigers) #76

Rival lowlights:
    Red Sox: Ryan Westmoreland #21; Casey Kelly #24; Josh Reddick #75; Lars Anderson #87
    Rays: Desmond Jennings#6; Jeremy Hellickson #18; Wade Davis #34; Matt Moore #35; Reid Brignac #54; Tim Beckham #67; Alex Colome #68
    Blue Jays: Kyle Drabek #25; Brett Wallace #27; Travis d’Arnaud #81
    Orioles: Brian Matusz #5; Josh Bell #37; Zach Britton #63; Jake Arrieta #99
    Mets: Jenry Mejia #56; Ike Davis #62; Fernando Martinez #77; Wilmer Flores #88

My only thoughts here are:

• I’m just a wee bit skeptical of how much love the Rays and Red Sox got here.  Like with anything else, these are subjective rankings, even if they do represent a more established point of view than, say, Sickels or Law.
    • Our four divisional rivals plus our intra-city rival make up 22% of the list.  Not that I think it’s a huge deal — they’re prospects, after all — but it would be nice if a few more Yanks showed up here at this time next year.
    • One caveat to the above is that Toronto traded for all three of their top-100 guys.  Really demonstrates how much the Anthopoulos era was able to accomplish in its first few months relative to the Ricciardi era.

This link will take you to the full list of 100 names for 2010.

*K-Law’s list is premium content and can only be viewed with an ESPN Insider account.

Comments on Baseball America’s Top-100 List

1. Corey Italiano
      February 23rd, 2010 | 6:36 pm

I can’t wait to check out Montero in person next month. There hasn’t been a Yankee prospect that I can remember being this riled up for and it should be fun to see what he can do.

Also, the Mets are thinking about ruining Mejia’s development and putting him in the 8th. I find it funny that they don’t see the error in their ways with what happened to Joba Chamberlain only a few miles away.

2. YankCrank
      February 23rd, 2010 | 6:52 pm

A couple things strike me here:

-Rays have a damn good system, nothing new and no surprise
      -Orioles and Blue Jays are rebuilding, 4 top 100 prospects is good
      -The difference between the Yanks and Sox is how they chose to go about their offseason. Red Sox decided to build their team through free agency so they have their prospects. Yanks chose to biuld their team through some big trades, and lost two big prospects.

Lets not forget that a farm system can be used in multiple ways. Yes it’s nice to have top prospects (Rays), but it’s also nice to cash in on some of your prospects and get established major league talent. I’m happy that our system yielded us a good player in Granderson and a good arm in Vazquez, and even though we have less higher-rated prospects than before the trade, our system certainly isn’t vacant of talent.

3. YankCrank
      February 23rd, 2010 | 6:53 pm

I forgot to add one other thing:

I don’t care about the Mets. At this point, i’m actually rooting for something to go their way…for once.

4. BOHAN
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:25 am

I’m not a big Keith Law fan but I got alot of time on my hands right now so I figured I’d give you all the K Law Top Prospects List. I’m just going to give the AL East by team, the Mets, Former Yankees, the Top 5 and a couple of Jersey kids.

Yankees- Montero #10, Manny Banuelos Pitcher #96
      Red Sox- Casey Kelly P #18, Ryan Westmoreland OF #32, Anthony Rizzo 1B #53, Lars Anderson 1B #56, Ryan Kalish LF #86, Jose Iglesias SS #91, Junichi Tazawa P #98
      Blue Jays- Brett Wallace 1B #20, Kyle Drabek P #40, Zach Stewart P #55, Travis D’Arnaud C #99
      Rays- Wade Davis P #15, Jeremy Hellickson P #17, Tim Beckham SS #29, Matt Sweeney 3b #68
      O’s- Brian Matusz P #11, Zach Britton P #25, Josh Bell 3B #61, Jake Arrieta P #90
      Mets- Jenrry Meija P #23, Wilmer Flores 3B #41, Ike Davis 1B #64, Fernando Martinez OF #73
      Ex-Yankees- Arodys Vizcaino P ATL #43, Jose Tabata OF PIT #57, Austin Jackson OF DET #70
      Local (Jersey) Kids- Todd Frazier 3B CIN #66 (Toms River, Former LLWS Champ) Trevor Reckling P LAA #77 (Newark)
      KLaw’s Top 5 Prospects-
      1. Jason Heyward OF ATL 2. Stephen Strasburg P WAS 3. Carlos Santana C CLE 4. Buster Posey C SF 5. Mike Stanton OF FLA

Seems like to me that K Law is a bit of Sox fan. I don’t get how he could put Tazawa up there and not Romine.

5. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 8:51 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

I don’t think the Yanks ruined Chamberlain’s development by putting him in the bullpen. He was approaching his innings limit, had clearly very little to gain by spending the last 6 weeks of the ’07 season in the minors and helped lock down the bullpen for the Yanks during their playoff push.

6. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 8:53 am

YankCrank wrote:

At this point, i’m actually rooting for something to go their way…for once.

Not me. I don’t hate them the way I hate the Red Sox, I just take great pleasure in watching the Wilpons, Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel squirm. I don’t have anything against Wright or Johan Santana (although I despise K-Rod) but it’s just fun to me to watch the Mets flounder. Call me sadistic like that.

7. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 8:56 am

@ YankCrank:
      I’m not saying the Yanks have a bad farm system, nor am I disputing how they used their assets in order to acquire Granderson/Vazquez. I was merely pointing out my personal preference that the 2011 list have a slightly better representation of NYY farmhands, that’s all.

As to the Red Sox/Rays, they do have good farm systems, I’m just not sure that all of these names (Colome/Anderson, specifically) were deserving.

8. Jake1
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:09 am

This just shows how badly the Yankees have drafted the past 2 yrs. They have swung and missed on a high ceiling talent in the draft.

9. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:20 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

He was approaching his innings limit, had clearly very little to gain by spending the last 6 weeks of the ‘07 season in the minors and helped lock down the bullpen for the Yanks during their playoff push.

I believe he ruined ’09 and possibly beyond. The dude has a completely different temperament on the mound, and it almost sounds like he’s never started before by the way he talks. You almost forget he was a starter his entire life before moving to the ‘pen briefly.

10. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:22 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      I’m not following. How did Joba’s 2007 debut in the bullpen ruin him in 2009 (or beyond)? Everyone that’s pro-Joba always talks about how good he was until he hit his innings high sometime in the middle of the summer.

You can’t use that to say Joba’s a good starter but then say he’s been ruined.

11. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:25 am

Jake1 wrote:

I’ll assume you mean 2007 and 2008. I had two minor quibbles with their 2009 draft but, by all accounts, it was a great haul.

As for 2007/2008, I agree to a certain extent. I personally wouldn’t have drafted Brackman although I think the Cole pick was absolutely the right move. No one, not even Scott Boras, knew the kid would pick UCLA over a guaranteed $2M+ bonus. Cole’s decision couldn’t have been predicted and consequently ruined the high impact portion of the ’08 draft.

12. YankCrank
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:29 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      @ Corey Italiano:

The only way I can see Joba’s ’07 dominance as a reliever ruining anything is how it completely ruined how he’s viewed as a pitcher. The Yanks took this good arm who was nearing his innings limit and threw him in the pen, and he did what any plus arm is going to do when you put them in as a reliever: dominate. Not to say he’s as good as this pitcher, but Johan Santana was the same way. Very good pitchers will make great relievers.

Now everybody in the world is convinced that he was born to be a reliever, and any minor hiccup he has as a starter will be followed with, “OMG why are they ruining him in the rotation?? He’s a lights-out reliever!” I believe Joba recently said, “I can win 20 games and everyone will say I could have saved 50,” and that’s exactly what’s going on. I wouldn’t say Joba the pitcher has been ruined, all I would say is his minor stint as a dominant reliever has created this monster that’s endless debated between beat writers and fans, and it’ll never end. I was sick of it in ’08, and i’m still very, very sick of it.

13. YankCrank
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:32 am

YankCrank wrote:

I wouldn’t say Joba the pitcher has been ruined, all I would say is his minor stint as a dominant reliever has created this monster that’s endless debated between beat writers and fans, and it’ll never end. I was sick of it in ‘08, and i’m still very, very sick of it.

Sorry, I meant “his minor stint as a dominant reliever has created this monster that’s endlessly debated,” my bad.

Me fail English? That’s unpossible!

14. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:37 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I’ll be back later to explain, don’t have the time presently.

15. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:42 am

@ YankCrank:
      I agree completely. The only thing that’s ruined is the way we see Chamberlain. He may yet become an effective starter and his time in the bullpen hasn’t impacted that at all, especially if you believe that his first 140 innings (or whatever the number was) last year are indicative of his talent and aptitude for the role.