• HGH Test On Baseball’s Doorstep?

Posted by on February 23rd, 2010 · Comments (14)

Via the Daily News -

The argument by Major League Baseball that no reliable test for human growth hormone exists took a major hit Monday.

Both the United Kingdom Anti-Doping agency (UKAD) and the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) trumpeted the positive HGH test of British professional rugby player Terry Newton as “proof positive” that the drug can be detected in blood tests. Newton, who was tested in November, did not contest the result and yesterday was banned from the sport for two years by UKAD. Newton’s rugby club, Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, also canceled his contract. Newton is believed to be the first case of a professional athlete testing positive for HGH using a blood sample.

Baseball has banned growth hormone since 2005, but there is still no HGH testing. Travis Tygart, USADA’s chief executive, Monday blasted baseball’s argument that an effective HGH test is unavailable.

“All of us who have helped develop a test wouldn’t put it in place if it wasn’t forensically sound and reliable.” Tygart told the Daily News. “Particularly in (Newton’s) case, it’s proof positive the test works.”

Of course, the trick here is getting the players and the MLBPA to allow blood tests – something they’ve viewed, to date, as a privacy issue. But, as a fan, I would love to see baseball start testing for HGH. How about you?

Comments on HGH Test On Baseball’s Doorstep?

1. jrk
      February 23rd, 2010 | 10:57 am

Sorry, I had no where else to post this, but does anyone else find these Damon quotes hysterical? Saying he wanted to be a TIger from Day 1? I know we’ve beat the Damon situation to death, but I was laughing when I read that crock of *hit.

2. Corey Italiano
      February 23rd, 2010 | 11:16 am

jrk wrote:

Yea, his interview on mlb network was laughable. He said that this was the first intro press conference where he finally felt he belonged and comfortable and that even back when he left the Sox the Tigers were his first choice. Give me a break.

3. YankCrank
      February 23rd, 2010 | 11:28 am

@ jrk:
      @ Corey Italiano:

Hysterical indeed, but not infuriating or upsetting like most Yankee fans have been taking it.
      Ever since 2005 we’ve heard from Johnny that he wants to stay in Boston, could never be a Yankee, then becoming a Yankee and saying he did all he could to stay in Boston. Then it chenged to him never wanting to be anything other than a Yankee to always wanting to be a Tiger…you just turn your brain off and let him speak.
      Now is as good a time as ever to just appreciate him for helping the Yankees win a ring in ’09 and move on. Thanks Johnny.

4. Corey Italiano
      February 23rd, 2010 | 11:57 am

YankCrank wrote:

I dunno why anyone would get mad, this is who Damon is.

5. MJ Recanati
      February 23rd, 2010 | 12:05 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I would love to see baseball start testing for HGH. How about you?

Not in the slightest. First and foremost, I don’t give one iota about PED use in baseball.

Second, MLB and the union have both proven to be completely incompetent when it comes to safeguarding players’ privacy and keeping promises insofar as anonymity of testing, etc. The last thing Bud Selig and Don Fehr should be trusted with is the blood and DNA of players. If I were a player, I wouldn’t give in one inch on this issue and I’d use the BALCO-IRS fiasco that is tied up in the 9th Circuit as my Exhibit A.

6. YankCrank
      February 23rd, 2010 | 12:17 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I dunno why anyone would get mad, this is who Damon is.

Because our fan base overreacts to everything. Every player needs to want to be a Yankee, and fit the Yankee mold, and we need to go 162-0 or we’re not a good baseball team.

You know, Yankee fans.

7. clintfsu813
      February 23rd, 2010 | 12:28 pm

But then we could have 9 Jeters on the field ;)

8. Corey Italiano
      February 23rd, 2010 | 12:33 pm

It all boils down to : Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?

9. MJ Recanati
      February 23rd, 2010 | 12:46 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      I’d rather 9 A-Rods over 9 Jeters but that’s just me.

@ Corey Italiano:
      I’d rather the dingers. This is entertainment and I’m not entertained by a league full of 1980′s middle infielders.

10. YankCrank
      February 23rd, 2010 | 1:17 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      I loved that Simpsons episode :) I can always use me some Focusyn!

11. YankCrank
      February 23rd, 2010 | 1:18 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Me as well, i’ll take 9 A-Rods any day

12. jrk
      February 23rd, 2010 | 2:58 pm

I’ll take 9 Marianos…one for each inning. Then we can throw out anybody on offense and win.

13. Corey Italiano
      February 23rd, 2010 | 3:02 pm

@ jrk:
      He does play a mean CF.

14. BOHAN
      February 24th, 2010 | 2:28 am

i just heard their implementing blood testing in the minors this year i believe. usually a sign of things to come…