• Cashman: Granderson’s Our Center Fielder

Posted by on February 24th, 2010 · Comments (7)

Yesterday on the MLB Home Plate channel on SIRIUS XM Radio, hosts Jody McDonald and Jim Bowden spoke with Yankees GM Brian Cashman about the club’s new outfielder, Curtis Granderson. [Thanks to Andrew FitzPatrick for this information.]

Host/Jody McDonald: “With the acquisition of Curtis Granderson and Johnny Damon leaving you now have three guys for two spots – [Brett] Gardner and [Randy] Winn and Curtis Granderson – manning left field and center field. Are you going to try to make a decision as to what’s the best position for Curtis Granderson and leave him there? Is Curtis going to be asked to go back and forth between center and left? How’s it going to shake out as to where Curtis Granderson plays defensively this year?”

Brian Cashman: “He’s our center fielder. We traded for him to be our center fielder. I think that what’s taken place is when you’re asked questions like ‘Is there a possibility of Gardner playing center?’ I’m like, well, if we feel Gardner makes us our best team with Gardner at center because we’re blessed to have two above average center fielders patrolling Yankee Stadium’s outfield out of the three man alignment. So we have [Nick] Swisher in right, Granderson in center and Gardner, assuming he holds it down and wins it, will be in left. But Granderson’s our center fielder. He’s an above average center fielder and that’s why we acquired him. But to be quite honest if somebody asked, ‘Hey, but is it possible Brett Gardner might be a better center fielder?’ Our defensive metrics on Brett Gardner made him one of the elite center fielders in the game. I’m not saying he’s the top but he’s close to it. So in fairness we acknowledge that but does that mean it’s the right thing to do to move Curtis Granderson over to left? I’m not saying that but I’m also open minded to say, alright, we’ve got a new player. We’re gonna see how our team fits and we’ll make decisions accordingly as we see things playing out. But Granderson’s our center fielder.”

I swear, sometimes, when Cashman talks…I hear Casey Stengel testifying in a 1958 Anti-Trust and Monopoly Subcommittee Hearing…

Comments on Cashman: Granderson’s Our Center Fielder

1. Evan3457
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:17 am

Let me translate:

Cashman: Right now, Granderson is our center fielder. But we’re not sure if we’d be better with Gardner in center, because we know he’s got outstanding range. So we’re going to do the intelligent thing, which is not to anticipate and make a pre-judgment, but to start things off the way they are, watch and see what happens, and then, if necessary, make changes.

That’s about it. Clear as day to me. ;)

2. BOHAN
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:30 am

Cashman took a round about way of saying but he’s really just saying that for now Granderson is our centerfielder but he can see Gardner taking over by the end of spring training. Which I think that majority of Yankee people think will happen. I think Gardner should def be in CF but I’m big on defense and think the best defender should play always.

3. Jake1
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:16 am

I’ll be surprised if Gardner even beats out Winn this spring.

4. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:19 am

I agree with Evan’s and Bohan’s translations above, I just have to ask Brian Cashman this one question:

” Our defensive metrics on Brett Gardner made him one of the elite center fielders in the game.”

How does he know? From the 934 innings he’s played in the field over parts of two seasons, those metrics are already reliable? Maybe Gardner is a good defensive player but I wouldn’t rely on what translates to 103 games of data to make my decision. I simply don’t understand this blind faith in Brett Gardner at this point.

5. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:21 am

Jake1 wrote:

I’ll be surprised if Gardner even beats out Winn this spring.

I assume Gardner beats out Winn, if only because the Yanks seem to be in love with Gardner. Frankly, as much as I find very little about Gardner to appreciate, even I think he’s better than Winn. Winn’s yesterday’s trash. I don’t see Winn finishing out the 2010 season in New York.

6. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 9:34 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Jake1 wrote:
      I’ll be surprised if Gardner even beats out Winn this spring.

Agreed. DFA’ed with the first round of roster moves, if ya ask me.

7. BOHAN
      February 24th, 2010 | 4:08 pm

probably using his major league time, minor league time and scouting they have on from the minors and majors.