• Derek Jeter’s Press Conference Today

Posted by on February 24th, 2010 · Comments (24)

Via Ed Price today -

Derek Jeter — as always — said all the right things Wednesday in his first press conference of the year. The overriding topic was his contractual status, since he is unsigned past this season, and the Yankees have no intention of working on an extension until after the season.

“I’ve never gone into a season focused on the next season. … I’ve said that from day one, this is the only organization I ever wanted to play for, and that’s still true today. … This is where I want to be, and I never envisioned myself playing anywhere else, and hopefully I don’t have to. … I’ve never been a free agent. I’ve never wanted to be a free agent. … I won’t address it again until the end of the season. … I want to play as long as I can. … That’s their stance, and I’m fine with it. … I’m going to play shortstop as long as I can. … I’m going to play as long as I’m having fun. My desire is to stay here. … [Money] is not what I play for.”

…This is where I want to be, and I never envisioned myself playing anywhere else, and hopefully I don’t have to…

Geez, that last part scares me a little. How about you?

Comments on Derek Jeter’s Press Conference Today

February 24th, 2010 | 12:32 pm

Not really fazed. Babe Ruth finished elsewhere. It would be nice if he were a career Yankee, but if Jeter moves on, it won’t be the end of the world.

2. February 24th, 2010 | 12:34 pm

Yeah, but, the Babe didn’t start as a Yankee either…

February 24th, 2010 | 12:41 pm

True, but the overall point is that “franchise players” have finished elsewhere, be it guys like Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew, Dale Murphy, etc

4. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:45 pm

Doesn’t scare me at all. Unfortunately, however, as we saw with Posada a few years ago, threats do scare NYY ownership enough that they make irrational decisions.

If Jeter doesn’t stay in NYY after 2010, I won’t shed a tear. I’ll thank him for the good times and will move on. No one player is important enough that the Yanks should make a stupid decision based on sentimentality.

Side note…since we’re talking about Jeter, here’s a quiz that includes him:

(I managed 22/25).

5. Tresh Fan
      February 24th, 2010 | 1:10 pm

Am I sacred? Not much. Suppose Jeter “hits the wall” this season—he’ll be 36—and finishes up batting something like .272 with 10 or so homers and about 50 walks. Also suppose that his defensive skills decline from last year’s “standards.” Okay, end of season. Free agent time. How much is a soon-to-be 37 year old defensively challenged shortstop with a subpar OPS worth to any team besides the Yankees? $20 million a year? $15 million a year? $10 million? Five? Any takers?
      Hello?

6. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 1:25 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Side note…since we’re talking about Jeter, here’s a quiz that includes him:
      (I managed 22/25).

I enjoy these kind of quizzes, although I’m embarassed to say I only could think of 17..
      I missed:

Dave Concepcion
      Lou Whitaker
      Charlie Gehringer
      Luke Appling
      Mel Ott
      Al Kaline

I missed McPhee, Gehringer and Ott. McPhee/Gehringer were the two most commonly missed names.

8. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 1:41 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Ya know what got me? I kept trying names who’ve played for 1 team most of their career except maybe the last year, which I would forget till I look it up.

9. February 24th, 2010 | 1:52 pm

I missed McPhee and Kaline.

10. jrk
      February 24th, 2010 | 3:20 pm

Doesn’t scare me at all. The only way he won’t be back is if he doesn’t deserve to come back because he has an atrocious season.

Contrary to what others have said though, I would shed a tear if Jeter put on another jersey. Actually, I wouldn’t – I’d just be nauseous at the picture of it. Eventually I’d get over it, but anyone who says it will be as simple as, wishing him well and moving on, is lying. Especially when we will be reminded of it every single day by the media.

Moot point though – won’t happen.

11. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 3:22 pm

@ yagottagotomo1:
      DAMN! Look at you, with the the 23/25! Good work. :-)

12. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 3:23 pm

jrk wrote:

Eventually I’d get over it, but anyone who says it will be as simple as wishing him well and moving on is lying

Trust me, it would be that simple for me. I make no secret of the fact that I don’t get the warm-and-fuzzies over Jeter. He’s a good player, he’s making it to the HOF, etc. and yet I just don’t care that much about him.

13. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 4:09 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

jrk wrote:

Ya know, I feel the same way. Mariano, however, would be sad to see in another uniform.

14. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 4:15 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      Absolutely. The day Mariano is no longer wearing NYY colors will be a very sad and sobering day.

15. jrk
      February 24th, 2010 | 4:19 pm

MJ and Corey, how come so sad over Mo but not Jete?

16. February 24th, 2010 | 4:33 pm

I’m still not sure if Jeter, OVERALL, is under-rated, over-rated, or rated-perfectly. And, there’s a part of me that’s somewhat turned off by his Joe-Dimaggio-like image control. And, I’ve heard that, while he’s an on-the-field leader, he can make your life hell in the clubhouse if he wants to freeze you out.

But, that all said, the guy is a Yankees icon and he NEVER embarrasses himself, the team, or the organization. And, in terms of what he is – meaning a right-handed batting singles hitter – he’s one of the best ever in the history of the game. And, without question, if the guy has to finish out his career in a uniform other than the Yankees, it’s going to bother me.

Now, if he’s 42-years old, just a DH, and a .240 hitter, and he wants to hang on, and some other team is stupid enough to give him a contract, so be it. But, I don’t that’s going to happen with Jeter. I fully expect him to be like O’Neill and walk away before it’s too late, rather than be like Bernie and try and deny that he should retire, etc.

Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m not a Jeter groupie, but, I appreciate and respect the way that he’s represented himself and the team, and I would hope that he gets to be a Yankee for life. He’s a special case – like Ripken with the O’s, Gwynn with the Padres, Larkin with the Reds, Yount with the Brewers, Brett with the Royals, etc.

17. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 4:48 pm

jrk wrote:

MJ and Corey, how come so sad over Mo but not Jete?

I can’t really explain it, honestly, and I’ll be the first to say that it’s not a rational way of thinking considering all the great memories Jeter has given me…I just never really felt that connection to him that I felt with let’s say Rivera, or my all time favorite Bernie Williams.

18. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 4:55 pm

jrk wrote:

MJ and Corey, how come so sad over Mo but not Jete?

Jeter just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t begrudge his right to privacy but he’s as phony as A-Rod, except doesn’t get the media scrutiny for it. In a way, I’m almost blaming Jeter (or holding it against him) that fan and media treatment of A-Rod and Jeter exist the living embodiment of the term “double-standard”. I just can’t really explain it but Jeter just gives me no reason to love him or connect with him in any way. He seems cooly unhuman and robotic in the Roger Federer/Tim Duncan/Pete Sampras sort of way. That’s not bad, it’s just not the type of guy that I really emotionally connect with.

19. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 4:59 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I find that hard to believe, considering how he’s still clinging to SS at the onset of age 36.

I’m not saying I begrudge Jeter his pride and his competitive spirit that tells him he can do something even thought people (and stats) say he can’t, but I also think it’s silly to expect Jeter to have the self-awareness and honesty required for him to retire the position.

20. redbug
      February 24th, 2010 | 5:00 pm

The only question for me is whether i like Mo or Jeter more. I’d never want either to wear a different uniform.

I think Jeter’s comment referred more to the Yanks than him. If it’s up to him, he’ll finish as a Yankee. If the Yanks decide they don’t want him, they’ll treat him the same way they did Joe, Bernie or Damon.

21. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 5:02 pm

redbug wrote:

I don’t think the Yanks treated any of those three badly. Sports are a cruel, unsentimental business sometimes so while it only seems like they were mistreated, in reality they were merely let go as others have been let go. Any insistence by those three to the contrary is spin and hurt feelings, not objectivity and honesty.

22. mondoas
      February 24th, 2010 | 11:45 pm

Jeter has been a Yankee fan before he actually played for the Yankees. His love for this team is bigger than we can understand and we LOVE this team. He has had a passion for this organization from 2 sides (fan and player)and I truly believe, because of that, he will not be able to go anywhere else ever. Yes, he love being a baseball player but he loves being a pro ball player that plays for the YANKEES!!

23. redbug
      February 25th, 2010 | 12:02 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

I don’t say they were mistreated (although I think Joe was). I said if the Yanks don’t want Jeter. The Yanks make a show of offering popular players a deal they know they won’t accept when they really don’t want them. They just can’t say publically, “gee, it’s been great, Jeets, but we don’t want you any more.

24. MJ Recanati
      February 25th, 2010 | 12:21 pm

@ redbug:
      Gotcha. Well, that’s how I’d do it too. Put the burden on the individual to turn it down.