• Swisher Could’ve Been A Yank In ’08?

Posted by on February 24th, 2010 · Comments (11)

In an otherwise dreary piece in today’s New York Times about Nick Swisher’s hairstyle — it is spring training after all, and the media has nothing better to write about — I saw this little nugget from Brian Cashman tucked away in the 14th paragraph:

“We tried to get him for 2008 but the price was too high.” After Swisher hit .219 and reportedly turned off the White Sox front office, Cashman went after him again.

The Yanks tried to get Swisher for 2008?  Does that mean they tried to acquire him for Opening Day or during the playoff push?  In either case, I found that bit of information very interesting.  It prompted the following monologue in my head:

• What would the Yanks have done with Damon (LF) or Abreu (RF) if they targeted Swisher before the season started?
    • Perhaps they wanted him for first base and would’ve made Giambi the primary DH, knowing that Matsui’s knees wouldn’t hold up for the ’08 season?
    • Did the Yanks try to get Swisher first, found they couldn’t get him from Oakland, and then settled for Nady in the deal with Pittsburgh thereafter?

Everything happens for a reason and it’s probably for the best that Cashman didn’t land Swisher the first time around.  The price dropped (precipitously, I’d imagine) and, as we know, it all worked out in the end.

Comments on Swisher Could’ve Been A Yank In ’08?

1. YankCrank
      February 24th, 2010 | 10:39 am

Very interesting. Whether it was pre-season or during the season of ’08, it would have only made sense for him to play 1b like you said. They could have thrown him in CF when Melky was slumping, but by that time it was understood he wasn’t the most effective CFer.

Either way, you’re absolutely right. It was better that we got him after ’08 for chump change. It certainly worked out in the end. But the real story here is….Swisher cut his hair??

2. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 11:27 am

YankCrank wrote:

But the real story here is….Swisher cut his hair??

LOL. As he says in the story, “It’ll grow back.”

3. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:00 pm

You know who needs to cut his hair? Tex. I’m lookin at the SNY still thats to the right of this post, and he looks like a 14 year old.

4. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:12 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      HAHAHAHAHA, I know. He looks like a giant tool.

5. February 24th, 2010 | 12:23 pm

Hey, at least he doesn’t go for the frosted tips like the guy on the other corner. ;-)

6. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:46 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      At the time he did that, frosted tips were reasonably fashionable for those that care about that kind of stuff. Tex’s look here is no less silly.

February 24th, 2010 | 12:46 pm

Interesting how things work out sometimes. I wonder what the A’s were asking, it’s not like Beane is a tough GM to work with.

8. MJ Recanati
      February 24th, 2010 | 12:51 pm

@ Raf:
      Good question. If we’re talking sometime between 10/1/2007 and 1/3/2008 (when Swisher was traded from OAK to CHW), the price probably involved one of Hughes/Chamberlain/AJax/Tabata.

Irrespective of Beane’s good nature, I can’t imagine he didn’t ask about the top guys in the organization. He managed to get at least one of CHW’s top 10 prospects when he traded Swisher out so I’m sure he was trying for the same with us.

9. February 24th, 2010 | 1:47 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Maybe it’s just me? I like my ball players to have their highlights on the field and not in their hair. ;-)

10. Corey Italiano
      February 24th, 2010 | 1:49 pm

I think Tex’s current look is a lot worse than the A-Rod tips

11. YankCrank
      February 24th, 2010 | 2:19 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:

Good thing Alex is great at doing both :)