• Discussing An Alternate Yankee Uniform

Posted by on February 25th, 2010 · Comments (20)

The New York Yankees brandish the most noticeable and famous uniform and logo in professional sports. Everyone knows the pinstripes, and everyone buys the merchandise. According to SportsScanINFO25 percent of the money spent on MLB merchandise were on Yankee-related items in 2007. Next in line were the Cardinals who were responsible for only 8.6 percent of MLB merchandise sales that year. The Yankees also owned the highest dollar share of MLB Licensed products during the third quarter of 2009. So it is fairly obvious that the club is always on top of the current sales charts.

Needless to say, hats and jerseys make up a large portion of those numbers, and although it goes against the Yankee credo, they could generate some extra revenue by creating a third or alternate jersey. The money made from those uniforms would quickly make up for the decrease in luxury box sales.

I know the Yankees are not hurting for cash, but it would be fun to image what an alternate jersey might look like. Using my photoshop skills*, I tinkered with the road uniform and came up with this:

The typical away uniform usually includes the city name across the chest, not the team name. I can’t see the organization changing the home jersey, so if they ever were to add analternate uniofrm, it would be something we only see on television or while on vacation.

I initially used the “bat and hat” logo on the Yankees cap, but it looked strange, so I moved it to the sleeve. The interlocking “N-Y” is what makes the hat distinct, so abandoning that would never be a good idea. The script across the chest helps give the uniform a classy look, while maintaining the gray and navy blue color scheme.

Yes, this alternate road uniform is very similar to the current road uniform, but the Yankees are not the type of organization to drastically change what they wear. If they ever were to implement an alternate uniform, I’m sure it would remain very simple, and we definitely would not see any new colors.

So, if you were in charge of creating an alternate Yankee uniform, how would it look? Also, if you enjoy uniform tweaks, be sure to check out Uni Watch. Especially this post and this post.

*base uniform courtesy of Chris Creamer’s SportsLogos.net

Comments on Discussing An Alternate Yankee Uniform

1. MJ Recanati
      February 25th, 2010 | 12:48 pm

Don’t give them any ideas. I’m perfectly happy with the current one home/one road uniform arrangement and that’s it. We don’t need to be like every other lame MLB franchise.

2. February 25th, 2010 | 12:54 pm

Oh I am totally satisfied with the current uniforms, but its always fun to think what it could be like.

3. February 25th, 2010 | 1:16 pm

A few years back, I recall someone suggesting that the Yankees should wear their pinstripes on the road gray’s too – since they’re so famous for the ‘stripes. Glad that didn’t happen.

It’s funny, I had no issues with the Pirates and the A’s in the 1970′s playing mix and match with their uniforms. But, on the whole, I’ve been a believer in one uniform for home, one for the road, and that’s it.

That said, I would have no issue with the Yankees wearing “special” uniforms once or twice a year – like some teams do with throwback days – and then having the team sell those replicas to fans to make some money.

Like, if they wanted to do a game with the 1915 Yankees long-sleeved look, that would be fun:

But, again, just as a once or twice a year thing, not as a third uniform thing.

4. MJ Recanati
      February 25th, 2010 | 1:22 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

IMHO the Yanks don’t need to be overly gimmicky like that.

Spring training and those dumb July 4th/Memorial Day/9-11-01 day hats are gimmicky enough for me.

5. February 25th, 2010 | 1:23 pm

A friend of mine proposed the idea of “old school” throwback uniforms for Babe Ruth Day, which I thought was a great idea.

6. MJ Recanati
      February 25th, 2010 | 1:29 pm

Dan LaTorraca wrote:

Babe Ruth Day

What is Babe Ruth Day? I can’t remember if I’ve ever heard of such a day (other than the Babe Ruth Day that took place on 4/27/47).

7. February 25th, 2010 | 1:30 pm

Sorry, I meant for a future Babe Ruth Day.

8. MJ Recanati
      February 25th, 2010 | 1:32 pm

Dan LaTorraca wrote:

I meant for a future Babe Ruth Day.

Perhaps on 4/27/2012, the 65th anniversary of the original day?

9. February 25th, 2010 | 1:55 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

those dumb July 4th/Memorial Day/9-11-01 day hats are gimmicky enough for me.

Blame MLB for those – not the Yankees.

10. MJ Recanati
      February 25th, 2010 | 1:58 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Blame MLB for those – not the Yankees.

I know it’s MLB mandated. I just don’t want the Yanks to add to the nonsense.

11. jay
      February 25th, 2010 | 2:35 pm

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, and not to suggest that change is a bad thing, but the Yankees have basically had the same uniform.. forever.

The cap has been the same since 1922 (Navy cap with interlocking ‘NY’.)
      Pinstripes showed up in 1912, bounced back and forth, and became permanent in 1915. The interlocking NY on the jersey showed up in 1936. Numbers in 1929, I think. Fast forward 80 years and it’s the same uniform.

In other words, chances of the Yankees changing their uniforms for anything more than a special cause or event? 0%.

12. nettles
      February 25th, 2010 | 3:26 pm

NO, NO, NO, NO…a thousand times NO! For the love of all that is sacred and holy, let one thing in baseball remain the same. No names on the back, either!

13. February 25th, 2010 | 4:03 pm

nettles wrote:

No names on the back, either!

Ditto.

14. jrk
      February 25th, 2010 | 5:42 pm

What’s worse: Seeing fans wearing a Yankee jersey with a name on the back, or seeing a fan wearing a Yankee jersey with their own name on the back?

For the record – I’m a huge fan of the navy t-shirts with the White interlocking N & Y on the front left chest with NAME and number on the back, since it’s not a jersey.

15. Corey Italiano
      February 25th, 2010 | 6:37 pm

@ jrk:
      Definitely their own name on the back. That’s so lame.

16. 77yankees
      February 25th, 2010 | 9:36 pm

@ jrk:

Anyone you see wearing a Yankee jersey with a name on the back you want to tell them “You turd – you suck!!”

And yes, the tees with the name/number are fine – as long as it’s not on a jersey.

Speaking of the initial post, former Yankee PR man Marty Appel says in his book the Yankees contemplated changing their road uniforms in 1974. Think the inverse of the home uniform – all dark navy with white pinstripes and a white NY. Dreadful thought, indeed.

17. March 4th, 2010 | 9:58 pm

Bryan Hoch sent me this – good one! I just saw it now…

A passage from Marty Appel’s book, cut & pasted from Wikipedia…

Although the Yankees have worn the same road uniform since 1918 (with the exception of 1927 to 1930, when the arched “NEW YORK” was replaced by the word “YANKEES”), a radical change was proposed in 1974. Marty Appel, in his book Now Pitching for the Yankees, describes the proposed uniforms:[5]

“ In 1974 I walked into (then-General Manager) Gabe Paul’s office to find samples of new Yankee road uniforms draped across his sofa. They were the opposite of the home pinstripes — they were navy blue with white pinstripes. The NY logo was in white. Gabe liked them. I nearly fainted. Although the drab gray road uniforms were not exciting, with the plain NEW YORK across the chest, they were just as much the Yankees’ look as were the home uniforms. I think my dramatic disdain helped saved (sic) the day and saved the Yankees from wearing those awful pajamas on the field.

18. 77yankees
      March 4th, 2010 | 10:30 pm

Think along these lines, again using the unis from the link in Dan’s original post.

19. March 4th, 2010 | 10:47 pm

Bizzaro!

March 4th, 2010 | 11:00 pm

To be fair, there were a lot of weird uni’s in the 70′s… Thank goodness the Yanks didn’t go that route.