• Some Site News

Posted by on February 28th, 2010 · Comments (12)

I have some news to share today. Effective March 1, 2010, WasWatching.com will no longer be a member of the blog network for SportsNet New York’s official website, SNY.tv. This is an amicable conclusion to my contractual relationship with SNY.tv.

Being part of the network for the past two years was a very good experience. Specifically, collaborating with people like Fred Harner, Ted Berg, Matt Cerrone, and Jeff Goldman (and his team) was a pure pleasure. It was an honor to have an affiliation with such a talented crew. Further, while I met them through “business” when I first joined the network, I later came to consider them as friends. And, today, nothing has brought cause for me to change that view. Naturally, I remain a fan of their work and wish them continued success going forward.

This has been a month of transfiguration for WasWatching.com – adding additional authors, updating our look, and ending our affiliation with the SNY.tv blog network.

Personally, I find this all very exciting. In some ways, it’s a reengineering for WasWatching.com. I hope you find these modifications as invigorating as they are for me.

Comments on Some Site News

1. sonnymooks
      February 28th, 2010 | 1:43 am

I hope this had nothing to do with that “street” nonsense, please say thats the case.

2. redbug
      February 28th, 2010 | 6:41 am

Did the affliation cause add’l work that you decided you didn’t want to devote any longer, Steve?

February 28th, 2010 | 8:23 am

sonnymooks wrote:

When I frist started reading, I thought the same, but Steve did announce that there would be some major changes in the works a while back.

4. February 28th, 2010 | 9:56 am

sonnymooks wrote:

There’s zero connection between the two. The decision regarding the blog network was finalized on January 8, 2010. But, the agreed upon term of my contract was not up until today. And, all parties involved agreed not to discuss it publically until the end of the term.

5. February 28th, 2010 | 10:00 am

Raf wrote:

You are correct. On January 8th, I wrote:

I have some very good news to share. Within the next 60 days (or so) there’s going to be three major changes to WasWatching.com – with the intent being to improve the blog, of course. Call me a tease, if you want, but, I’m not going to share the details on this until we get closer to the “reboot” (for lack of a better word). But, I did want to share that there’s a lot of work going on now, behind the scenes, to make all of these three items become a reality – as soon as possible.

Link: http://waswatching.com/2010/01/08/b2w-tbc/

This is the third of those “three major changes to WasWatching.com” announced on January 8th – with the first one being the addition of other authors and the second one being our recent theme upgrade.

6. February 28th, 2010 | 10:20 am

redbug wrote:

Contractually? No. Not at all.

Granted, because I was part of the network, personally, I felt obliged to devote a certain number of hours to the site per day, week, month, etc. – one that was equal to what I was doing before I joined the network in March of 2008. However, on this I want to be clear: All of that was just my own personal conscience at work.

There was never any quota, agreement, demand, etc., from anyone – other than myself – to devote “X” amount of time to the blog.

But, that all said, now, yes, in my own mind, being on my own again, makes it easier to scale back in hours, etc., because, again, now, I no longer have it in my faculty that cutting my hours would be akin to selling a bill of goods, etc.

7. February 28th, 2010 | 9:03 pm

I was wondering what the third announcement was, and I’m bummed to hear it’s this. :(

8. Jake1
      March 1st, 2010 | 9:02 am

would love to hear your feelings on how being a part of the network was. did it help? better access? more contacts? etc

9. March 1st, 2010 | 9:45 am

lisaswan wrote:

I’m not bummed – so, there’s no need for anyone else to be bummed, IMHO.

For me, this is all good. For instance, over the past few days, I’ve been personally attacked by 5 or 6 other blogs – being called an idiot and worse things.

It’s not the first time and I’m sure it won’t be the last time. It’s just a fact that some bloggers have a need to attack other bloggers in order to make themselves feel good, or, try and look better, etc.

I’ve written about this in the past here ->http://tinyurl.com/ybwn4dz

Stuff like what’s been going down the last few days makes me ever more mindful that I’m a middle aged man playing in the sandbox of emerging adults. And, it brings pause for reflection. Do I really want to be spending too much time doing this – blogging – if the end result is going to be an experience like the last few days has been?

And, if I want to take a few days off, now, and slow things down here, to think about it, I can – without having any guilt, albeit all driven by my own mind, about not living up to an obligation to add content to the blog.

Like I said, at this stage in my blogging journey, I like to know that I have the freedom to shut it down at any time without disappointing anyone that I feel was counting on me.

10. March 1st, 2010 | 10:02 am

Jake1 wrote:

It was a great experience. And, if I were back at the point where I was at the end of 2007, and asked to do it again, and the same pitch was made to me, I would I agree to do it again.

The whole thing was an honor. As far as I know, I was the first Yankees blog to be picked up by a RSN. (RSN sites had Yankees blogs before my deal – but, I’m pretty sure they started on the RSN site whereas mine was an indy blog that was picked up.)

Like I said, I got to meet and become friends with some incredibly talented people at SNY. That alone made the whole deal worthwhile.

And, I’m sure being part of the network gave the blog some cachet in the eyes of some and that may have opened some doors for me.

Bottom line, it was the right thing to do at the time, an honor, and a pleasure. Totally wonderful experience. But, as I mentioned to Lisa in the comments section here today, right now, I’m also very happy to have things the way that they are today too.

11. March 1st, 2010 | 3:56 pm

I hear ya. I was just hoping you’d have some big, exciting news for the third thing – like you got a Yankee reality show or something. (Hey, if NBC could greenlight the unwatchable “Marriage Ref,” you never know what can happen! ;)

As for criticism in the blogosphere, it’s a pain, and often unfair – I’ve experienced it, too – but it comes with the territory of putting yourself out there.

12. March 1st, 2010 | 4:14 pm

@ lisaswan:

Nowadays, big and exciting news, for me, is playing catch with my kids, and teaching them the proper fundamentals on fielding ground balls. And, to be candid, that’s all the big and exciting news I want these days. ;-)