• Yankees Sr. VP Of Baseball Ops Busted For DUI

Posted by on March 9th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via the AP -

A top New York Yankees executive was charged with driving under the influence in Tampa.

Hillsborough County Jail reports show that Mark Newman, the Yankees’ senior vice president of baseball operations, was arrested Monday night. He reportedly refused to take a blood-alcohol test. He was released several hours later on $500 bail.

Team spokesman Jason Zillo says the Yankees can’t comment at this time.

Newman did not respond to a message left on his cell phone by The Associated Press.

Jail records did not list an attorney.

Keith Law said it best three years ago: Baseball needs a backbone regarding DUIs.

Comments on Yankees Sr. VP Of Baseball Ops Busted For DUI

1. March 9th, 2010 | 7:55 pm

“As I have mentioned before, DUI is a terrible, terrible, crime – in my opinion. It’s inexcusable.”

I think this is something we can all agree on. Totally inexcusable.

2. Rich
      March 9th, 2010 | 8:41 pm

I’m not sure what inexcusable means in practical terms, but if he actually did it (which is far from certain), like most people who have transgressed, he deserves a second chance.

3. 77yankees
      March 9th, 2010 | 9:10 pm

The stunning thing is that sports teams used to think nothing of stocking the clubhouse and locker rooms with beer for the boys to throw down after a long game, and letting their players drive themselves home afterward.

Somewhere in the last 20-30 years, someone realized how foolish an idea that was, and sans the occasional locker room celebration, we’ve learned alcohol is no longer readily available in clubhouses.

4. Corey Italiano
      March 9th, 2010 | 9:12 pm

Imagine Wade Boggs? Dear God.

5. March 9th, 2010 | 10:03 pm

Rich wrote:

I’m not sure what inexcusable means in practical terms…

It’s pretty f’ing simple: If you’ve been drinking, then don’t drive.

March 9th, 2010 | 10:40 pm

“Baseball needs a backbone regarding DUIs.”

It ain’t just baseball…

7. Rich
      March 10th, 2010 | 9:49 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

Yet they still do, and they should pay a price. Then what? Is redemption possible? If so, in some sense they are being excused. Or should it be one and done? If you’re convicted, you can never drive again? Yet the perpetrators of serous crimes that require intent (DUI is reckless) often get a second chance.

See, it’s not so simple.

8. March 10th, 2010 | 10:46 am

@ Rich: I’m not going to get into a political debate with you on this one. But, I still feel that there’s no excuse for electing to DUI. Call a cab. Walk. Get a ride from a sober friend. To anything but get behind the wheel of a car while your under the influence. It’s really not that hard to avoid DUI.

9. Rich
      March 10th, 2010 | 7:34 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

I don’t think it’s a political issue, I think it’s a practical one. Yes, it would be better if people did the right thing, but unfortunately, they often don’t. Otherwise, this wouldn’t be such a societal problem. The question then becomes: what do we do with them?

My view is that if we are going to make it a one and done offense, we ought to give people notice of such right now.