• Ramirez, Warren & Phelps – The Next Big Three?

Posted by on March 18th, 2010 · Comments (7)

John Sickels has a nice interview posted that he did with Mark Newman (the Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations for Yanks). Here’s a snip on sleepers to watch for…

SICKELS: Can you give us a few additional sleeper prospects to watch for 2010?

NEWMAN: One guy we really love is Jose A. Ramirez, who was in the Gulf Coast League last year. He can get his fastball up to 95-96, and he has an outstanding changeup to go with it. When we traded Arodys Vizcaino, we had it in the back of our mind that Jose could turn into a very similar prospect.

Another pitcher to watch is Adam Warren, out of North Carolina in the fourth round last year. In college we scouted him at 90-92, but in pro ball he was at 92-94, and after a long college season that was a pleasant surprise to see consistent arm strength. He has four pitches, a very solid delivery, and knows how to pitch.

We also like David Phelps, who we drafted out of Notre Dame (14th round, 2008). Like Bleich and Warren, he throws harder now than he did in college, 92-95 last year. He’s improved his curveball and change, and if the secondary stuff keeps developing he will really emerge this year. He has a clean simple delivery, another thing we like.

For hitters I’d watch David Adams out of Virginia (third round, 2008). He’s a polished hitter and we really like his glove, he’s right there with Cano defensively.

And, yes, I’m kidding with the “Big Three” comment. After all, there could never been another pitching prospect troika like Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy…right?

Yeah, I’m kidding again…there too.

Comments on Ramirez, Warren & Phelps – The Next Big Three?

1. Corey Italiano
      March 18th, 2010 | 5:59 pm

==========
      :P

Really though, I can’t wait to see what Bleich does this year with a fresh slate at AA. He had rough start, but I think he can bounce back. (Having seen him pitch a few times, he reminds me of Andy which might be why I’m rooting for him).

2. Corey Italiano
      March 18th, 2010 | 6:02 pm

Also, can someone explain to me what the deal is with Pat Venditte? We drafted him 2 times, and he’s pitched extremely well. Yet, they don’t promote him nearly as aggressively as everyone else despite his advanced age. He already tossed in 21 games in Tampa (where he did quite well), why send him back?

I understand he’s a gimmick pitcher, but as long as he’s pitching well why hold him back? Give him a challenge for God sakes.

3. Corey Italiano
      March 18th, 2010 | 6:03 pm

And MJ, if you read the article, Newman points out the 2B prospect you were seeking the other day. :P

4. mondoas
      March 18th, 2010 | 6:11 pm

I would really love to see position players that are not catchers. Is there anyone besides David Adams?

5. March 19th, 2010 | 7:25 am

[...] posted an informative interview with Mark Newman, Yanks senior VP of baseball operations (thanks to Steve Lombardi of Was Watching for the link). The piece offers a good guide to Yankees sleeper prospects–take that for what [...]

6. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 9:30 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      I disagree with Newman’s opinion of Adams and I’ll leave it at that. The kid’s a utility player. I certainly don’t blame him for talking Adams up — that’s his job, after all — but I just don’t see it.

As far as the “Big Three” comment…sure, why can’t this group get the same kind of attention by this time next year? Think about the similarities, after all? What was Kennedy but a polished college pitcher that everyone profiled as a back-end MLB starter anyway? Is Warren that much different than Kennedy (other than handedness)? Warren is equally polished and successful and from a great college program. From what I know of Warren and from what others have written, he looks like a guy with a back-end starter ceiling and a realistic life as a superb reliever.

I could see a Hughes/Ramirez comparison based on both coming into the organization from the amateur/HS ranks. Their stuff and their polish may be different but it will take Ramirez another 2-3 years to develop, just as it took Hughes parts of four years (2005-2006, 2007, 2008) in the minors before he started showing results at the MLB level.

I’m not making a 100% comparison of the two but there’s no reason why the Yanks can’t have another “Big Three” in the near future.

7. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 9:33 am

mondoas wrote:

If you ask me honestly, the answer is no, not higher than low-A/high-A. Most of the Yanks true prospects are pitchers and catchers right now.

Nothing wrong with that, however. Joe Mauer is going to sign a $100M contract and Sabathia/Santana signed $120M contracts. If elite pitchers and catchers are the hardest places to find value for the dollar, the Yanks may as well invest $10M per amateur draft season trying to get $100M future returns.