• Coming Soon To YES: Bam-Tino’s Butt Cam?

Posted by on March 19th, 2010 · Comments (19)

Via Pete Caldera -

Tino Martinez isn’t just stepping lightly into broadcasting.

“That’s why I’m doing six games of spring training – to make sure I’m presentable and good enough,” Martinez said before heading into the YES Network booth on Thursday night. “I want to work hard at it.”

Four years after he retired as a Yankee, Martinez believes that serving as a TV analyst could be something of a second career. So, just as he approached hitting and playing first base, Martinez plans to be his own worst critic.

“Basically, I don’t want to be annoying to the fans,” Martinez said. “Some guys you listen to, they kind of annoy you a little bit. You want to enjoy the game while you’re watching it.”

On this subject, Martinez is absolutely serious. Mediocrity is not an option.

“If they’re not happy with what I’m doing, and I don’t see my progress, then I won’t do it at all,” Martinez said. “I don’t want to do it if I’m going to be average.”

This isn’t a completely new direction in a somewhat unsettled transition from the field. Martinez, 42, worked on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight,” and said broadcasting is something “I’ve always thought about.”

Martinez also has thought about a front office career, having served as a special assistant to general manager Brian Cashman.

Martinez isn’t sure how many games he’ll broadcast, though the limited number will allow him to keep alive any front-office aspirations. “As a player, you think you know,” Martinez said of the club’s day-to-day operations. “But you really don’t.”

I think the Yankees/YES lead the league in having announcers who don’t work very often. Do they really need one more? Man, I long for the days of the same two or three guys working the booth everyday…

Comments on Coming Soon To YES: Bam-Tino’s Butt Cam?

1. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:06 am

As much as I like Tino, the player, I don’t like Tino, the color man.

2. March 19th, 2010 | 10:17 am

I suppose he could be gotten used to. And, for sure, he knows his stuff and probably has some good stories. But, that said, I thought he did poor job on ESPN. And, if he does the same on YES, it won’t be good.

3. jrk
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:28 am

I think he was AWFUL at ESPN. One of the most awkward people on camera I’ve ever seen. And he has this weird lisp-type thingy, it’s not a lisp, but something going on there. Loved the guy as a player, but I’m afraid his fear might come true and he will be “annoying to listen to”.

4. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:32 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      Agree. He’s got a bad voice for it, doesn’t really engage the viewer and adds nothing to the broadcast. Tino is dull.

5. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:36 am

I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it once again: for a franchise that sells itself as a global brand and talks about how it has the best of everything, the Yanks have one of the worst on-air and radio teams in the business. It’s shameful that the people that have the most direct contact with the customers are so bad at their jobs.

Why was Cone let go? Why wasn’t Kaat brought back when he un-retired?

Singleton paired with either Leiter or Cone would be the perfect pairing for all 162 games. I can live with Kay as long as he’s watered down by some good partners but letting Kay have the spotlight without being checked by a personality better than Tino’s is torture.

Sterling/Waldman are so sub-standard it’s not even worth talking about.

6. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:41 am

Tino reminds me of Lou Pinella as far as color commentary goes. I’m know that they both know vast amounts when it comes to baseball, and are great guys to have in the clubhouse but…some people are just not made for TV

7. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:45 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Ya know, I’ve grown an appreciation for Kay over the past year or so. Mostly because he gives you inside info that other people just don’t have. For instance, the story about how CC got pissed that the team didn’t want to give Cervelli a full playoff share and threatened to pay him out of his own pocket. I never read/heard that anywhere else.

March 19th, 2010 | 10:52 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I don’t think the radio team’s going anywhere anytime soon. I guess casual listeners love their schtick. And for better or worse, Sterling is the “voice of the Yankees” being featured on the Yankeeographies as well as the Yankee Classics.

9. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:57 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      For that reason, Kay could easily fill the currently-worthless Kim Jones role. Juicy, interesting tidbits are appreciated but that doesn’t mean he should have carte blanche to bore us with his opinions or grate on us with his voice.

Kay is a born talkshow host. His ESPN Radio program is fairly entertaining, even if I don’t agree with everything he says. But he’s a dogshit TV man as the lead personality for 162 games of baseball. It’s just not his strong suit.

10. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 10:59 am

@ Raf:
      I know it.

What makes me cringe is that in 20 years or so, when Sterling’s really pushing time, he’ll probably get his ass kissed for his longevity the same way Nuxhall, Scully, Harwell did/do. We all know Sterling isn’t in their class so it really irritates me that simply getting the Yankees sheen on Sterling’s lousy schtick makes him a future candidate for the broadcasting HoF in Cooperstown. Awful.

11. clintfsu813
      March 19th, 2010 | 2:18 pm

Tino does broadcasts for The Yankees??? ;)

12. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2010 | 2:22 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I can’t lie, I also enjoy his “Seeya!” in a big spot.

13. jrk
      March 19th, 2010 | 3:13 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!! Couldn’t agree more. Hate Waldman with a passion, Sterling’s an idiot, and Kay’s Yankee bias and repetitive nature are nauseating to listen to.

14. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 3:16 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      Unfortunately, he does the “Seeya” for the opponents too. His voice is dripping with implied glee. I don’t need a homer calling my games but I also don’t need a guy that sounds like he roots for the other team too.

Kay makes me sick.

15. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2010 | 3:27 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Unfortunately, he does the “Seeya” for the opponents too.

Ya this used to urk me, but I guess after hearing it so many times it stopped. I understand why you don’t like it, though.

I gotta say though, it could be worse. I’d rather hear that on home run calls for the other team than hear “You can….PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!! YES!” for ours.

16. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2010 | 3:50 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

can….PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!! YES!” for ours.

Ugh, Ken Harrelson is the biggest boob in broadcasting. Some White Sox fan with a sense of decency should just shoot that tool.

17. 77yankees
      March 19th, 2010 | 8:36 pm

Kay just gets annoying after a while. From his canned recycled sayings – “little girl with a curl” to his self-indulgence – “one of my friends just texted me” is too much to handle.

I like Ken Singleton in the booth, but beyond that, none of the others really do much for me.

There was a point with O’Neill, Flaherty, Leiter & Cone that you couldn’t tell who was doing the game if you got home after it started. It was like the Family Guy gag with the round table of Al Michaels, Harold Ramis, Ray Romano & Kermit the Frog where they all sound alike.

I agree with Steve – having too many different broadcasters dilutes the telecasts over a season…….And on the radio…..let’s just say they have two broadcasters too many.

18. Evan3457
      March 20th, 2010 | 10:10 am

Singleton and Leiter are very good, and represent “both sides of the ball” well. Cone was good, but for some reason, I like Leiter better. Flaherty is generic, and O’Neill is good only when he’s busting on Kay.

Kay…I’ve heard worse, but there’s also lots better. I can live with him, but I hope someone better gets that job before I leave this plane of existence.

The notion of John Sterling EVER qualifying for any portion of the Hall of Fame for any reason whatsover fills me with suh outrage that it makes me want to start my own terrorist organization for blowing up the Hall should that catastrophe happen.

Sterling is awful beyond all possible dimensions, forms and conceivable expresions of awfulness. Aside from the arrogance, the ego, the self-centeredness, the tone-deafness, the man fails abysmally at the single important task for which he’s employed as a RADIO gamecaster: he cannot and will not give a complete and accurate call of the game play.

Jim Kaat was excellent at breaking down tactics, and superb at explaining the physical and mental elements of the game. He was also honest in his criticism of the Yankees, their front office and MLB as well. Nevertheless, I got very tired of his never-ending banging the drum for baseball as it was played in the 60′s (his prime) as the exemplar of how baseball should always be played, and his disdain for modern pitching usage.

He simply would not consider the changing conditions of the game of the 90′s as reason for changing the approach, and his denigration those who did adapt, and the adaptions grew so repetitious and, at times, foolish, that I wasn’t sorry to see him go when he left.

19. isha1992
      August 8th, 2010 | 6:56 pm

All I have to say is that I agree completely with Evan3457.