• At This Point, He Couldn’t Hit The Side Of A Barn With A Pie

Posted by on March 22nd, 2010 · Comments (6)

A week later and things, today, are still bad for A.J. Burnett this Spring.

In total, his “official” Spring stats are as follows: 8 IP, 14 hits, 8 walks and 8 earned runs allowed. He’s thrown 124 pitches with just 70 of them being strikes.

He should get one, or maybe two, more turns this Spring. And, after that, he’ll be facing the Red Sox up at Fenway Park (in a real game). Let’s hope he figures it out by that time.

Comments on At This Point, He Couldn’t Hit The Side Of A Barn With A Pie

1. MJ Recanati
      March 22nd, 2010 | 8:11 pm

Just one of four reasons why I think the Yanks will be worse in ’10 (the other three are Nick Johnson, Curtis Granderson and Jorge Posada).

2. BOHAN
      March 22nd, 2010 | 10:57 pm

he hasnt had enough starts or innings. hes gotten rained out twice i think. hell find it tho. it could also be that hes been workin on that changeup and he doesnt have the best control with it since hes not used to it. once the season starts he wont throw it as much itll be more like a show pitch.

3. Evan3457
      March 23rd, 2010 | 10:25 am

Nope, A.J.’s finished. He’ll never be an effective starter again.

4. MJ Recanati
      March 23rd, 2010 | 11:11 am

@ Evan3457:
      I don’t think anyone said he was finished…

5. Evan3457
      March 23rd, 2010 | 6:00 pm

I know, I just wanted to get ahead of the panic curve, for once.

Lookit, to cut out my snark for a minute, I don’t put very much stock in spring training results for veterans, especially pitchers, unless the guy is demonstrably hurt. I trust that Burnett’s solid results over the last 6 seasons are a better tool for trying to predict what he’ll do this year than a couple of bad exhibition starts.

Could he decline this year? Yep, he sure could. But inasmuch as last season was marginally his least effective season in the last six, I think it’s just as likely, if not moreso, he could be better this year than last.

6. 77yankees
      March 23rd, 2010 | 8:05 pm

I think a lot of his starts he’s either very good (Game 2 of the WS) or very bad (Game 5) Is that #2 starter worthy? Probably not, but the Yanks score enough that we won’t have to worry most nights when he starts.