• Hughes Takes The Fifth

Posted by on March 25th, 2010 · Comments (11)

Via Bryan Hoch:

Joe Girardi announced the news here in Sarasota:

“We evaluated the whole spring. I’m very excited with the improvement in his changeup. To me, that made a big difference in who he is. Our decision is for him to be the fifth starter, and all the other guys are competing to be in the bullpen.”

…all the other guys are competing to be in the bullpen…

Hmm…

Comments on Hughes Takes The Fifth

1. jrk
      March 25th, 2010 | 11:42 am

I think one thing that gets lost in this discussion sometimes is that the competition was for the FIFTH starter role. No one is asking Hughes to be an ace. We are asking him to be a serviceable 5th starter and be able to stay healthy and be out there the whole season (or to his innings limit or whatever). I believe, not because of statistics, but just pure speculation based on what I’ve seen out of him, that Hughes can do just that.

(I hope I’m right).

2. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      March 25th, 2010 | 2:07 pm

3. YankCrank
      March 25th, 2010 | 2:35 pm

@ OnceIWasAYankeeFan:

Hey there guy, where ya been? I haven’t heard from you since, well, around the time of last year’s ALDS :)

4. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      March 25th, 2010 | 3:30 pm

What, you never left a bar early when the game you came to watch went all to hell? ;)

At least I’m not the type to stick around and try to be the turd in the punch bowl. You enjoyed the championship, as you should after spending so much money for it (I kid because I like Yankee fans so much), but now its a new season, new pennant chase and may we all enjoy the best game going.

5. YankCrank
      March 25th, 2010 | 3:44 pm

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

New season indeed. FTR, I was just having a little fun myself. :)

6. March 25th, 2010 | 5:00 pm

At this point, while it may do my damage upstairs, its probably best the Yankees send Chamberlain to Scranton where he can take his turn every fifth day, get his innings and stretch out therefore next year, or the year after, when there’s a rotation hole due to the departure of Vazquez or Pettitte, there won’t be the concern about innings caps or whatever.

This is the exact situation that options were designed for.

7. 77yankees
      March 25th, 2010 | 5:11 pm

@ Sean McNally:

I don’t think Joba’s going back to SWB unless he flops in the pen.

As far as the 5th starter, since there’s an “innings limit” for Hughes as jrk mentioned, I believe he’ll end up back in the pen late in the season regardless of how he does, and either Aceves or a waiver deal for a starter will be made to hold up the 5th spot.

8. BOHAN
      March 25th, 2010 | 10:16 pm

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

All that agita last year with Joba and now he’s a set up man? And all on the basis of what? First that last year Hughes could get people out if he only threw an inning and amped up his fastball, and second, that he might have a serviceable change up? Meanwhile, its really Joba being the more complete pitcher, right now. Yeah, he needs to figure out how to deal, three times through a lineup, using all of his pitches. And I know he didn’t impress this spring … but Hughes impressing in the spring isn’t that special when you remember how pitchers are ahead of hitters and you get your share of non-major league hitters to face, too.The smart play is to put Hughes in AAA to truly develop as a starter, using all of his pitches consistently, while under an innings limit that is easy to plan out. If he shows he’s truly ready, then he’s your first replacement starter. If you’re comfortable with the set up men, Joba starts the season as number 5, no restrictions, go out and pitch. If Joba blows up and they truly let go of the idea he’s a starter, he goes to the bullpen, and Hughes comes up or they bring in one of the lesser lights that were “competing”. Its those lesser lights that would make for a serviceable number 5. But if Joba or Hughes were the number 5, the Yankees could play .700 ball but if the number 5 spot is a disaster, there will be plenty of Yankee fans up in arms about that number 5 pitcher.

kinda agree with the hughes in the minors idea. but i dont think i have a real problem with him starting up here. he did look pretty damn good this spring when i saw him pitch and joba didnt really look good til his last start. i do want joba to be a starter and him being in the pen is going to hamper that big time. they without a doubt mismanaged joba. shouldve never been in the pen after the 07 season.

March 26th, 2010 | 4:31 am

If Chamberlain becomes “the 8th inning guy,” Girardi should be smacked.

10. MJ Recanati
      March 26th, 2010 | 7:58 am

Raf wrote:

If Chamberlain becomes “the 8th inning guy,” Girardi should be smacked.

I’d add a couple of smacks for Cashman too. As the point-man for the idiotic Joba Rules, he didn’t help matters any.

11. MJ Recanati
      March 26th, 2010 | 8:00 am

@ Sean McNally:
      Joba *SHOULD* go to AAA; that would be the logical thing for the Yanks to do. Unfortunately I don’t think logic will dictate here. Cashman/Girardi blew this one, big-time.