• Some Sights From Spring Training

Posted by on March 29th, 2010 · Comments (14)

George M. Steinbrenner field is gorgeous.

This past Wednesday, I was in Tampa for the game against the Nationals. I had a blast and I must say that the George is a great place to take in a ball game. If you have never been, I would highly recommend it. It must be the class of Single A ballparks. The only thing that deterred from my visit was the fact that rather than show highlights from 2009 of the players, the park displayed images of the players playing from MLB ’10 : The Show. While I hold that franchise of baseball games in high regard, highlights from it do not belong on a scoreboard.

That is really a small gripe that most people wouldn’t think twice about. Other than that it was an amazing time and while I was there, I took a few pictures and thought I’d share. Keep in mind that I’m a horrible photographer. Pictures after the jump.

In case you’re wondering what the deal is with the rice, it was free rice night at George M. Steinbrenner Field. No Kidding.

One thing that I found to be extremely tacky was the fact that they used clips from MLB 2010 : The Show as the players intro videos rather than clips of the players themselves.

Comments on Some Sights From Spring Training

1. March 29th, 2010 | 7:03 pm

Nice!

March 29th, 2010 | 8:11 pm

Nice pics, thanks for sharing

3. clintfsu813
      March 30th, 2010 | 7:48 am

Great Pics dude. You get any autographs? Going back to last game on Saturday. Im hoping to pick up some. The park is pretty great all around. I’m definitely gonna try and go back every year.

4. MJ Recanati
      March 30th, 2010 | 8:10 am

I’ve never been to “The George” but I’d like to go next year or the year after. It does look nice and I’m sure Corey’s right that it’s the best ballpark in the Florida State League.

Rice night. Hilarious! How was that broccoli-cheddar rice, Corey? LOL!

5. Corey Italiano
      March 30th, 2010 | 8:31 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Great Pics dude. You get any autographs?

Nah I didn’t, I had forgotten to bring things to autograph. Sucks, because I was in the prime spot for an autograph, too. Field level, 7 rows or so away from the Yankee dugout.

I actually had a really great conversation with the guys who were sitting next to me. Turns out one of them had been the bat boy for the Phillies during the 1950′s and he was telling me some pretty cool stories about how it happened and what it was like. It was a great time.

6. clintfsu813
      March 30th, 2010 | 9:09 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      Duuuuude..you gotta go prepared. If I had been standing there empty handed looking at MO..I’d have hated myself for.ev.er!

7. 77yankees
      March 30th, 2010 | 10:56 pm

The grounds crew does that lame YMCA in Tampa too?

It was clever in 1996…..it’s 2010 now.

8. MJ Recanati
      March 30th, 2010 | 11:39 pm

77yankees wrote:

The grounds crew does that lame YMCA in Tampa too?

It was clever in 1996…..it’s 2010 now.

While I agree with the sentiment, I don’t see why fans feel that this is a big deal. It’s no more a nuisance than all the other dumb so-called fan-friendly distractions that take place during a game. Do we really need to see computerized subway races? Cotton Eye Joe?

It’s just part of the overall fan experience at any sporting event, irrespective of sport. Because Sweet Caroline or Lazy Mary is any better?

9. Corey Italiano
      March 31st, 2010 | 8:20 am

@ 77yankees:
      They gotta get their work in during spring training to be prepared for the season too! ;) lol

10. Corey Italiano
      March 31st, 2010 | 8:22 am

Also, in case you were wondering, a bunch of random guys in pirate outfits sang the national anthem. I have no idea why.

11. March 31st, 2010 | 9:24 am

77yankees wrote:

The grounds crew does that lame YMCA in Tampa too?
      It was clever in 1996…..it’s 2010 now.

A-ef’ing-men.

12. clintfsu813
      March 31st, 2010 | 9:57 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Try going to a Braves Spring game and listening to the sound effects after every popup, strikeout, and hit. You’ll be begging for the YMCA, lol.

13. 77yankees
      March 31st, 2010 | 7:18 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Was it the guys from the free credit report TV commercial? LOL

Next thing you’re gonna tell me is they play that annoying electronics retailer whistle after every Yankee pitcher strikeout……just like in the Bronx?

14. Corey Italiano
      March 31st, 2010 | 11:11 pm

77yankees wrote:

Corey Italiano wrote:

Was it the guys from the free credit report TV commercial? LOL

lol, nah they thankfully don’t play the PC Richards whistle after every K. I’m with ya, I hope they put an end to that.