• Well, Isn’t This Special?

Posted by on March 29th, 2010 · Comments (17)

Brian Cashman and Johnny Damon have kissed and made up. Via Joel Sherman

Johnny Damon and GM Brian Cashman met for about 10 minutes behind the batting cage yesterday, their first face-to-face since Damon’s contentious divorce from the Yankees.

Both men refused to divulge the content of the conversation. But both expressed appreciation that they were able to talk. During the conversation, each appeared amiable — often smiling — and the two parted with a hug.

“I just hope what is remembered is that I was proud to bring him here and that he was a huge part of how the roster was built, how the team played and succeeded, and how the clubhouse came together,” Cashman said. “He’s a great guy. I am glad we had a chance to visit.”

“Everything is good now,” Damon said. “No problems.”

For what it’s worth, I thought it was a very classy move of the fans at Steinbrenner Field to give Damon a standing-oh during his first plate appearance yesterday. And, I hope he gets the same when he returns to the Bronx, for the first time, this season.

Comments on Well, Isn’t This Special?

1. MJ Recanati
      March 29th, 2010 | 9:56 am

Every time I see the YES cameras cut away to Nick Johnson on the bench, nursing another injury, I’ll always shed a tear that Johnny Damon isn’t here anymore.

I’m glad Cash and Johnny patched things up and I’m glad the fans treated Johnny with the respect he so richly deserved after the good years he gave to the team.

2. YankCrank
      March 29th, 2010 | 9:58 am

Johnny just doesn’t look good in a Tigers uniform. Maybe it’ll take some time to get used to it.

3. MJ Recanati
      March 29th, 2010 | 10:00 am

@ YankCrank:
      LOL, I’d love it if we traded Randy Winn, Kevin Russo and a Costco-sized bag of potato chips to Detroit and got Johnny back.

4. clintfsu813
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:01 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I’d take it!

5. March 29th, 2010 | 11:03 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Every time I see the YES cameras cut away to Nick Johnson ….

I think “OMG, he has more Chins than a Chinese phonebook!”

6. YankCrank
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:04 am

@ MJ Recanati:

Haha I bet you would!

I will always appreciate what Johnny did in a Yankee uniform, especially his effort last year in the WS, but i’ve already moved on. Players come and go but if i’m going to be torn up over a player not being a Yankee, it won’t be over a 37-year-old Johnny Damon.

I’ll get back to you in 2011 when the Yanks choose to keep or let Jorgy go :)

7. YankCrank
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:06 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:
      Every time I see the YES cameras cut away to Nick Johnson ….
      I think “OMG, he has more Chins than a Chinese phonebook!”

We can all argue over whether we like NJ or not, but there is one thing that is undeniable. He is one seriously unattractive man.

8. Corey Italiano
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:30 am

I’m on the NJ bandwagon, and I care not for looks when it comes to ball players. As long as he gets on base and gets his doubles, he could gain another 100 lbs. for all I care.

9. MJ Recanati
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:35 am

YankCrank wrote:

I’ll get back to you in 2011 when the Yanks choose to keep or let Jorgy go

Nice! I’ll remind you of this in a little more than a year from now! If it’s up to me, I drive Posada to the state line and tell him to come back for Old Timer’s Day and not a moment sooner. Won’t miss him one bit.

Corey Italiano wrote:

he could gain another 100 lbs. for all I care.

Oh you’d care alright! If he gained another 100 lbs., they’d have to tear down the front wall of his house and forklift him out of his bed.

10. MJ Recanati
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:37 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Won’t miss him one bit.

I already regret writing that. He was a good Yankee and of course I’ll miss him. I just don’t appreciate the cranky-pants attitude and the brain-farts behind the plate.

11. Corey Italiano
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:42 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I agree with this portion of the comment. I don’t think it will play out that easily, though.

12. March 29th, 2010 | 11:42 am

Here’s a picture of Nick Johnson saying “Mmmm…a hundred more pounds.”

13. MJ Recanati
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:47 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      One of the five best episodes of The Simpsons. Love that one.

14. Corey Italiano
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:47 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Press the Any key. Any key? Where is that? Oh man, this is tiring. I need a tab. Up no time for that, the computer’s starting!

15. MJ Recanati
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:48 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Knowing the Yankees, of course not. Overpaying 40 year olds is in Steinbrenner family DNA, after all.

16. YankCrank
      March 29th, 2010 | 11:57 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

Hilarious reference, and like MJ said, one of the best Simpsons ever. The scene of Homer driving a stolen ice cream truck to the power plant while wearing a moo moo and eating ice cream makes me want to fall over in laughter.

17. Evan3457
      March 30th, 2010 | 4:43 am

YankCrank wrote:

@ Steve Lombardi:

That’s muumuu, not…

oh, never mind. Moo moo is more apropos. And funnier.