• Josh Beckett

Posted by on March 30th, 2010 · Comments (10)

I saw this from Peter Abraham the other day -

ESPN/Boston is reporting tonight that the Red Sox will not offer Josh Beckett more than a four-year extension on his contract.

Considering that Beckett is already signed for 2010, that was likely the case all along. Signing him to a five-year deal would create a six-year commitment and that is a lot for any pitcher.

The five-year, $82.5 million deals given to A.J. Burnett and John Lackey came when they were free agents. Beckett is not yet a free agent, but he still could command the same average annual value of $16.5 million for an extension.

A four-year extension worth $66 million would put Beckett in the same neighborhood.

If the Red Sox let Beckett walk – and if Andy Pettitte retires and Phil Hughes flops as a starting pitcher this season – would the Yankees be interested in him as a free agent?

Javy Vazquez will be a free agent. If he leaves New York, and if Pettitte is gone and Hughes is a bust, that all could leave the Yankees with just CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett as “brand names” in their rotation. This would mean New York would need another starting pitcher in 2011…no?

I realize that most Yankees fans probably expect the team to go after Cliff Lee – who will also be a free agent after this season. And, if I had my choice between the two, I would take Lee over Beckett. But, what if that choice is not there?

As a Yankees fan, how would you feel if New York signed Josh Beckett to a five-year, $82.5 million, deal at the end of 2010?

Comments on Josh Beckett

March 30th, 2010 | 3:16 pm

I’d be indifferent one way or another. I would expect Cashman to do due diligence on Beckett.

2. Corey Italiano
      March 30th, 2010 | 3:19 pm

I’d pass on him, I really don’t like him as a pitcher. Sure he’s beaten us in the past in a big spot, but he also has the ability to get torched. I feel like he’d have a very fast decline.

3. MJ Recanati
      March 30th, 2010 | 4:31 pm

———
      If the choice is Beckett or nothing (or someone ranked lower on the free agent pitching food chain), I’d be perfectly happy with Beckett. If the choice is Beckett or Lee, obviously I’d prefer the LHP Lee (even though Beckett is younger).

I find Beckett to be a disgusting creature and I’d love to drink myself into a frenzy and beat the crap out of him but that doesn’t mean he’s not a good #2 starter. He’s certainly that. He turns 30 in six weeks from today. Why wouldn’t I want a young-ish pitcher like that?

4. BOHAN
      March 30th, 2010 | 4:54 pm

just saw on ESPN that these 2 are close to to signing an extension. sounds like somewhere between 65-70 million for 4 yrs. i think its just the little things that are delaying the what seems to be unevitable.

5. Jake1
      March 31st, 2010 | 8:50 am

if theres one guy who has shown he can pitch in the al east and under pressure in the playoffs its him.

plus hed be extra motivated to stick it to boston.

6. YankCrank
      March 31st, 2010 | 9:43 am

Here’s a different perspective:

I want him to stay in Boston. Sure he’s one of the few 5 WAR pitchers and he has the opportunity to shut you down at any moment, but we hit the guy. We hit the guy hard, to the tune of just under a 5 ERA. That and I hate the guy, and the only other active pitcher I hated equally has been Lackey…so it’s perfect. (That’s the fan in me speaking, not the rational baseball voice :) )

7. clintfsu813
      March 31st, 2010 | 9:56 am

@ YankCrank:
      I hear ya dude. Guys like Beckett, Varitek, Douchelis and Papeldong belong in Boston. Screw them and rationality!

8. Evan3457
      March 31st, 2010 | 12:15 pm

I would take Beckett in a heartbeat. He’s shown the ability to lead a pitching staff to a title. Twice. Yes, in some ways, he’s been a disappointing egomaniac, but pitchers who can shut top opposition down cold in the post-season are worth their weight in gold.

Re: he’s a stinking Red Sox? I didn’t hear anyone mentioning that every time Damon got a big hit in the ALCS or World Series last year, and when he got two SB on one pitch…

If the Sox don’t reward him for his past work on their behalf, he would leave properly pissed at them, and the Yanks can never have enough good players who are pissed off at the Sox.

It’ll take more than $82.5 over 5 to get him, though. Count on it.

9. Corey Italiano
      March 31st, 2010 | 12:20 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I’ve been saying that since he joined the team.

10. MJ Recanati
      March 31st, 2010 | 5:38 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

It’ll take more than $82.5 over 5 to get him, though. Count on it.

The moment the Red Sox signed Lackey to that deal I imagined that Beckett would have a right to ask for more. Not only has he been a slightly better pitcher but he’s younger, has the frontline mentality (it’s a BS thing but people do pay for that) and has tenure on that team. If his agent doesn’t get him $100M, there’s something wrong.

Now, if he chooses to take a discount to stay on a team where he’s happy, that’s a different story.