• Running Through Rivera On A Rainy Day

Posted by on March 30th, 2010 · Comments (6)

Mariano Rivera will be 41-years old at the end of this year. And, he will be a free agent. Here are the last two deals that Rivera signed with the Yankees:

Current contract: Three years (2008-2010) at $15 million per season with a no-trade clause.

Previous contract: Three years (2005-2007) at $10.5 million per season. (Last year was a club option that became guaranteed in 2006 due to performance clauses.)

For the last five years or so, the Yankees have been slightly lightening Mo’s workload:

Year Age G GF SV IP BF
    2004 34 74 69 53 78.2 316
    2005 35 71 67 43 78.1 306
    2006 36 63 59 34 75.0 293
    2007 37 67 59 30 71.1 295
    2008 38 64 60 39 70.2 259
    2009 39 66 55 44 66.1 257
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 3/30/2010.

This all said – if you’re the Yankees, what kind of offer to you make Mariano at the end of the season? Given his age, there’s no way you make a three-year offer. But, do you offer him two years? If not, would Mo take a one-year deal? I’m thinking he’s probably going to want two years – since this could be his last contract.

And, what about the money? Do you offer him $15 million a season again? Is that crazy, even for the Yankees, to pay a guy who may pitch in 65 games (in 2011) and only cover 65 innings? And, what happens if the Yankees ask Mo to take a paycut? Would that be an insult?

Don’t get me wrong…I know this is not a Johnny Damon situation where the Yankees are going to try to nickel and dime the player. But, could it be possible that the talks with Rivera at the end of the season could turn ugly and that 2010 will be Mariano’s last season with the team?

Comments on Running Through Rivera On A Rainy Day

1. Corey Italiano
      March 30th, 2010 | 12:12 pm

I’d give him a Tim Wakefield esque contract, personally. Let him pitch as long as he wants. I trust he’ll bow out when he’s lost “it”.

2. BOHAN
      March 30th, 2010 | 1:02 pm

2 yrs whatever he wants. hell know when hes done and bow out before it really shows on the field

March 30th, 2010 | 3:19 pm

I don’t see Rivera hanging on to collect a paycheck. I think he’ll take what’s fair. He’ll probably take a 2 year deal. We all know he’s nearing the end of the line, and I doubt that he would announce his retirement at the end of the season.

4. redbug
      March 30th, 2010 | 4:57 pm

Yes, I’d give him $15 million per for two yrs. I said the last time I’d give him that for 3 yrs or whatever he thought was fair – just for his past work and what it’s meant to the Yankees. Mo’s been the MVP of this team since 1996.

5. Tresh Fan
      March 30th, 2010 | 5:33 pm

The underlying assumption here is that Rivera will put up another stellar season. But suppose that isn’t the case? Just suppose he “hits the wall” this year, performing poorly and spending long stretches on the DL. What would you offer him then?

6. mondoas
      March 30th, 2010 | 7:58 pm

I think every Yankee fan always has to start out saying how great Mo has been and that we appreciate everything he has done. We say that b/c we don’t want to look like the bad fan if we say that the reality is this..Mo is getting old and he is not the player he use to be and you need to start preparing for the end. With that being said, as Corey mentioned, give him a Wakefield-like contract to protect the team. Sorry, but I am just being real. Oh, did I mention I appreciate everything he did for the Yankees? LOL!!