• Andy Pettitte To Retire After 2010?

Posted by on April 2nd, 2010 · Comments (7)

Via Jack Curry with a h/t to the other CC

Andy Pettitte can see the end of his gratifying career approaching and can feel the number of games he might have left reduced to a precious few dozen. Pettitte is fine with that scenario, content with trying to help the Yankees fashion another memorable season before probably retiring.

“I can’t just keep on playing,” Pettitte said. “I need to get back home.”

With no prompting, Pettitte veered from discussing how comfortable he has felt as a pitcher this spring to how uncomfortable he feels as an absentee father. When some players lament how much they miss their family because of the draining season, their words seem choreographed. When Pettitte says those same words, he seems sincere.

Andy Pettitte has been a gift…in my eyes…for the Yankees and their fans. It’s been a pleasure to watch him work for the team. And, I will miss him, greatly, when he retires.

Comments on Andy Pettitte To Retire After 2010?

1. MJ Recanati
      April 2nd, 2010 | 4:54 pm

He will be missed when he’s gone…but I do wish these guys would just stop talking about it and do it. Either retire or keep on playing but the public “will I stay or will I go” gets so tedious after a while. Don’t take a page from Favre’s book, take it from from Moose’s instead and just keep us in the dark until it’s time.

2. redbug
      April 2nd, 2010 | 5:59 pm

Andy is one of my favorites. I’m with you Steve, I’ll miss him when he does decide to retire – and so will the Yankees.

3. K-V-C
      April 2nd, 2010 | 6:27 pm

It makes me ill to read stuff like this.

4. April 2nd, 2010 | 7:21 pm

In defense of Pettitte, his family lives in Texas.

He’s in Florida from February through March. That’s during the school year. He’s not going to uproot his kids for two months out of the school year.

Next, Pettitte’s in New York, half the time, from April through October (assuming he’s in the post-season). So, from April to June, he’s also missing his kids – because their in school in Texas.

So, basically, from Feb. thru June, he’s not seeing his family everyday, if at all. That’s five months in a row, almost half a year.

And, that assumes that he can bring his family to NY in July – and he may not be able to do that if his kids play in summer leagues in Texas.

Yes, half the games in baseball are home games. But, that doesn’t mean their home games for his family too.

5. BOHAN
      April 2nd, 2010 | 8:17 pm

K-V-C wrote:

Why do so many players cry about missing their families? Either play in your home state or MOVE them to where you play. (and don’t tell me you can’t afford two homes, if you can’t bear to leave your home town). It makes me ill to read stuff like this. What is the average time spent at the park on a game day? It cant be more than 6 or 7 hours. I’ve seen them arriving, and leaving after the games. Half their games are at home. So that should be plenty of “hometime” with the family.

most ball players get to the stgadium pretty early in the afternoon… they dont just show and play baseball. they workout get treatment have interviews extra bp extra feilding practice. someitmes these guest appearances have extra appearance whether on sports shows or other shows. and someotimes extra things they have to take cre of. 7 oclock games some might not get home til midnight and might be leaving at 12 noon. alot more that goes into being a major league baseball player then most think.

6. BOHAN
      April 2nd, 2010 | 8:20 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      he doesnt do the same thing as favre completely. its not like hes waiting to the last minute and deciding he wants to play. he take a month basically to discuss it with his family and then decides. hes not holding the league or team captive.

7. Joseph M
      April 2nd, 2010 | 10:33 pm

I thought of Andy as the modern day Whitey Ford. I hated the fact that the Yanks let him go to Houston that time. He is a home grown product who could have broken the team record for most wins by a Yankee pitcher in a career. Right now I think Andy has 229 wins, Ford had 236, Whitey also had a great lifetime winning percentage as does Andy.