• Did Sterling Steal Fan’s Suggestion On Granderson HR Call?

Posted by on April 8th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Via the B&C Blog -

After hearing John Sterling’s disappointing call of Curtis Granderson’s first home run as a Yankee, got the guys to thinking about some alternative calls that might work, assuming Granderson hits another home run during his time with the Bombers. The guys broke into song with a little help from the great Sammy Davis Jr. and his 1972 hit, ‘The Candy Man’…

And, guess what – last night, on Curtis’ homer against Papelboob, Sterling went into a “The Grandy Man Can….” thing. Just a cowinky-dink, ya ‘think?

[Warning - the bottom half of that post at the B&C Blog is NSFW.]

Comments on Did Sterling Steal Fan’s Suggestion On Granderson HR Call?

1. K-V-C
      April 8th, 2010 | 11:43 am

Why is Sterling still calling Yankee Games? The guy is a complete goof. Enough already.

2. 77yankees
      April 8th, 2010 | 9:12 pm

K-V-C wrote:

Totally agree, but he’s not going anywhere, unfortunately.

3. April 8th, 2010 | 11:50 pm

They have *got* to be kidding. A LOT of fans either thought of “The Grandy Man Can” or talked about that suggestion before it was on their dopey radio show – I believe the first was Andrew Fletcher of Scott Proctor’s Arm, but lots of others bandied it about as well, as a quick Google search shows. Heck, I wondered in a column the next day why Sterling didn’t use “The Grandy Man Can” – gee, should I claim he stole it from reading my blog? Sheesh.

4. April 9th, 2010 | 10:20 am

IMO, Sterling honestly believes his goofy personalized home run calls are ‘cute’ and endearing to the fans – when in actuality, the majority of the fans cringe whenever he gets going.

Please John, we’re ALL begging you – get back to basics, stop shoehorning your schtick into every call, and stop making references that only 70-year-old Broadway fans understand.

5. April 9th, 2010 | 10:26 am

I wonder, considering his age (71?), how much longer the Yankees will keep him around? Then again, the thought of Waldman and Kim Jones working the Yankees games on the radio is not exactly a team I’m dying to listen to…

6. Corey Italiano
      April 9th, 2010 | 10:36 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I’ll take Sterling by himself, over that.

7. K-V-C
      April 9th, 2010 | 11:47 am

I can’t think of anyone, except the FOX guys, who could be worse than Sterling. He can’t see well, he has his goofy HR calls, and he has never listened to his partners, not to mention his “yankees win” calls..

I’d take Waldman solo or teamed with Jones, hell bring back Steiner and team him with one of the girls. There are so many TV guys, shuffle some of them through the radio booth like Scooter and White did back in the day.

8. Corey Italiano
      April 9th, 2010 | 12:04 pm

K-V-C wrote:

I can’t think of anyone, except the FOX guys, who could be worse than Sterling.

The White Sox broadcaster comes to mind. As well as Chip Carrey. Frankly, I don’t watch enough out of town games to get a fair gauge of the other teams broadcasters.