• Running Rays Ruin Vazquez

Posted by on April 10th, 2010 · Comments (27)

Post game reaction from last night, via Wallace Matthews -

Direct from the Yankee Clubhouse–Joe Girardi: Javy made some mistakes with his fastball. He didn’t get it done. but he’ll bounce back. Jorge Posada: He was missing his spots and rushing things with men on base. Javier Vazquez: it’s disappointing. My pitches were up in the zone. I was trying to hard to keep them from stealing.

…made some mistakes with his fastball…
    …missing his spots and rushing things with men on base…
    …I was trying to hard to keep them from stealing…

You know, I could buy this is stuff if Javier Vazquez was just a kid pitcher with not many years of experience. But, he’s 34-years old, been pitching full-time in the majors for a dozen years and had 385 big league starts under his belt coming into this game.

Do you think guys like Bret Saberhagen, CC Sabathia, Steve Rogers, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Roy Halladay, Doug Drabek, David Cone and Mark Buehrle – who had the same amount of experience, at the age Vazquez is now, would have allowed a running game to get into their head…leading to some monster homers and other hits? Garbage like this, to me, talks a ton towards psyche – and helps explain why he’s moved around so much.

Comments on Running Rays Ruin Vazquez

1. Corey Italiano
      April 10th, 2010 | 9:25 am

This is 1 game. He’s been lights out all spring, let’s give him a chance.

2. Corey Italiano
      April 10th, 2010 | 9:30 am

Not to mention during the first..what 4 innings his stuff was electric

3. April 10th, 2010 | 9:30 am

@ Corey Italiano: I have to think every team in the league is reading those quotes from Javy and saying to themselves, now, “Let’s run like crazy on this guy and get into his head.”

4. lully221
      April 10th, 2010 | 10:19 am

I don’t expect a pitcher coming from the NL East, going to AL East to be “lights-out” of anything. Hopefully he’ll do his homework on the opposing batters, work with jorge and eiland and learn how to keep us in games, as he won’t be throwing shut-outs.

site looks great steve!

5. butchie22
      April 10th, 2010 | 10:49 am

He’s not on a short leash at all with me. Mr Junior Varsity continued his shitacular performance from Game 7 2004, the darkest day in Yankee history bar none. All the hype from blabbermouths like Al “I can’t shut my trap” Leiter about Mr Junior Varsity winning 23 games to everyone lauding the Yanks for such a brilliant move were barking up the wrong tree. JV can’t pitch here it was proven in 2004. The injury excuse was pure bullshit. He had already bombed here and he didn’t AND doesn’t deserve a second chance here. Thanks Brianless Cash Man for a nonsensical pitching move.Bravo!

@ SL Ozzy The Madman said that Mr Second Half No Star was weak. He’s not bright when it comes to speaking either. They will get into JV’s head BECAUSE he’s not cut out for this market, the pressure here or this team. He already didn’t work out here in 2004 and Cash Man brought other people who excelled in Atlanta like Wright and Hammond and how did they do?

@ Corey, His stuff was electric?!! WTF!! How do you account for the EIGHT COUNT’EM EIGHT EARNED RUNS after his electricity went out,mate?!?! Sorry, no spin in this one… Junior Varsity not only wet the bed he also shit in it too!

6. cr1
      April 10th, 2010 | 11:08 am

Overall the first turn through the starting pitching staff has not been electrifying. I’m trying to look at it as extended ST. Have to admit this is harder to do in good weather than in Aprils when the snow is flying and the weather is everybody’s excuse.

7. YankCrank
      April 10th, 2010 | 11:46 am

April guys, April.

Let’s not be “those” Yankee fans.

8. Corey Italiano
      April 10th, 2010 | 11:47 am

butchie22 wrote:

You need to watch the game to see things like that, butch. He was making everyone look silly the first 4 innings.

9. Corey Italiano
      April 10th, 2010 | 11:52 am

Also, are we done with Thames in the field yet? WTF

10. cr1
      April 10th, 2010 | 11:57 am

@ Corey Italiano:

Ditto on Thames. Keep off the grass.

11. Corey Italiano
      April 10th, 2010 | 12:05 pm

For those who only check box scores and think I’m crazy by saying that Javy was pretty decent through the first 4, here’s your evidence. If he was getting rocked, why would Girardi leave him in after he gave up 5 in the 4th?

April 10th, 2010 | 12:07 pm

YankCrank wrote:

April guys, April.
      Let’s not be “those” Yankee fans.

I know, right? I mean, it’s not like Vazquez hasn’t been pitching, for what 12 seasons, and has never allowed a stolen base before…

April 10th, 2010 | 12:37 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

No, not really.

The Expos traded him to NY because he was too expensive
      NY traded him to get Randy Johnson
      The D-Backs traded him to the White Sox because he wanted to play for a team closer to home
      The Braves traded for him because they needed pitching
      The Braves traded him because they had a surplus of pitching, and couldn’t move Derek Lowe

14. 77yankees
      April 10th, 2010 | 1:03 pm

Wasn’t the spin on his reacquisition that “he wasn’t healthy in the 2nd half 2004 and “he’s more mature now”?

So what’s the excuse now??

15. JeremyM
      April 10th, 2010 | 1:05 pm

Raf wrote:

Steve Lombardi wrote:

No, not really.
      The Expos traded him to NY because he was too expensive
      NY traded him to get Randy Johnson
      The Braves traded for him because they needed pitching

So is that why David Cone had all of those different stops? His psyche?

16. JeremyM
      April 10th, 2010 | 1:07 pm

77yankees wrote:

So what’s the excuse now??

How about it’s one very bad start?

April 10th, 2010 | 1:08 pm

77yankees wrote:

So what’s the excuse now??

There shouldn’t have been a spin on his reacquisition, seeing as 2004 was some 5 seasons ago. Why people overlook the work he has done with the Braves, White Sox and Diamondbacks is beyond me.

Last night wasn’t the first time he allowed 8 runs in a start.

18. 77yankees
      April 10th, 2010 | 1:23 pm

JeremyM wrote:

77yankees wrote:
      So what’s the excuse now??

How about it’s one very bad start?

And if one bad start becomes two, then three, etc.? He’s a fly ball pitcher in a division filled with hitter’s parks and for the most part, better hitters.

19. JeremyM
      April 10th, 2010 | 7:13 pm

He should have 30 plus starts this season, so if you want to judge him after 2 or 3, be my guest.

20. BOHAN
      April 10th, 2010 | 7:27 pm

until javy proves to me that hes not mentality soft then im going to think hes mentality soft. if runners r going to distract him then hes in for a long season. i understand its only one start and im going to wait and see what he does until i really kill him but its not looking good in my eyes

21. Joseph M
      April 10th, 2010 | 10:50 pm

After all it was his first start of the season so I wouldn’t get too crazy.

That said, I considered the Vazquez trade a blunder when it was made. I don’t think very much of Vazquez, to me he’s a .500 pitcher and nothing more. As the number four guy he can win 10 games maybe as many as 12; hopefully Hughes will do well and pass him by the time postseason arrives. I also worry about Joba who I believe should be in the number 4 or 5 spot in the rotation.

22. MJ Recanati
      April 11th, 2010 | 7:44 pm

Joseph M wrote:

Assuming you’re right — that Vazquez is merely a .500 pitcher and nothing more — how was the trade a blunder? Will you miss Melky Cabrera that much?

Last time I looked around the league, I didn’t see too many solid, dependable arms like Vazquez’s available in exchange for 4th outfielder-caliber players like Cabrera. The Yanks got Vazquez at a very reasonable price and the trade to get him was no blunder, it was a very sensible baseball move.

23. Joseph M
      April 11th, 2010 | 10:11 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

I don’t like Joba not being in the starting rotation, to me that’s important. I’d rather see him there than Vazquez.

I don’t think Vazquez will pitch effectively in the postseason, and a mistake could be made and he might get a start and cost us a game.

Third, payroll was an issue from what we heard, I would rather have had Damon for another year and use Joba as the 4th starter.

I also think Melky is more valuable than you do.

24. Evan3457
      April 12th, 2010 | 12:40 am

It is really just one start, guys. I don’t believe in jumping to conclusions this early in the year. I do believe in watching and seeing what happens.

25. MJ Recanati
      April 12th, 2010 | 6:25 am

Joseph M wrote:

I don’t like Joba not being in the starting rotation, to me that’s important.

I agree, I thought Joba should’ve been in the rotation also. But it wasn’t Vazquez that took Chamberlain’s spot, it was Hughes.

Joseph M wrote:

I also think Melky is more valuable than you do.

After watching him play every day for three years I think we should all know what he is right now. He’s a decent fielder but not much of a hitter.

26. Corey Italiano
      April 12th, 2010 | 9:14 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I also think Melky is more valuable than you do.

Melky’s not even having his typical April.

27. MJ Recanati
      April 12th, 2010 | 11:05 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Melky’s not even having his typical April.

But you know who is? Nick Swisher! I love that guy.