• Can We Have Him Back Please?

Posted by on April 15th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Jerry Hairston Jr. is getting more love around these parts  . . . and all of it well deserved.

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Padres utility man Jerry Hairston Jr., another member of the ‘09 Yankees, retrieved the rings for [Eric] Hinske and [Melky] Cabrera when Hairston traveled to New York on Tuesday for the Yankees’ home opener, where the rings were distributed.

So, not only did Hairston fly across the country and back for the afternoon ring ceremony, he reached out and did his former teammates a solid – good on him all the way around.

Comments on Can We Have Him Back Please?

1. MJ Recanati
      April 15th, 2010 | 3:09 pm

Actually, if I were Hinske or Melky, I’d have wanted to pick up the hardware in person whenever it is that the Braves come up to play the Mets. It might’ve been fun to swing by and see my old teammates while I was running the errand up there in the Bronx.

No knock on Hairston — great guy — but I’d have wanted to get the hardware in person.

2. April 15th, 2010 | 3:36 pm

The problem is, the Yanks and Mets are rarely, if ever in town at the same time. So its either get it from a teammate now or wait and pick it up in a conference room at Yankee Stadium.

3. April 15th, 2010 | 3:40 pm

@ MJ Recanati: I concur. But, to be fair, I don’t see a date on the calendar this year that works out for that happening.

4. MJ Recanati
      April 15th, 2010 | 3:52 pm

@ Sean McNally:
      @ Steve Lombardi:
      OK, so Melky and Hinske don’t see their former teamamtes. Cashman and co. don’t go on road trips so they could’ve grabbed them then.

Either way, not a big deal.

5. 77yankees
      April 15th, 2010 | 3:56 pm

Maybe Melky & Hinske asked the Braves if they could go to NY w/ JH Jr. and the Braves said no, which is their right.

Would have been cool if they could have picked it up in person, just so the fans could give them one last thanks.

6. April 15th, 2010 | 4:16 pm

@ 77yankees:
      Maybe, but the Braves just got drubbed 17-2 but the horrible Padres. On top of that, Atlanta started out at home, then went out west and are heading back via red-eye tonight. Might have just been too much travel.

7. 77yankees
      April 15th, 2010 | 4:22 pm

@ Sean McNally:
      Maybe that didn’t convey correctly when I read it back – I meant to say it was the Braves right to say no since they sign the checks, not that Melky & Eric had every right to go back on their own without the team’s ok.

April 15th, 2010 | 6:37 pm

Nice move by JHJ, I must say. And it worked out great as the Braves and Padres were playing each other