• Greatest/Favorite Yankees Tournament – Final Four

Posted by on April 19th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Click here for more on what this is about.

And, click here to make your picks.

Have fun – pick your favorites or pick who you thought was a better Yankee. It’s your choice. And, feel free to use the comments section here to discuss and debate the match-ups and your picks.

Comments on Greatest/Favorite Yankees Tournament – Final Four

1. YankCrank
      April 19th, 2010 | 11:11 am

This was a tough one, but I took Lou and Joe. Anybody vehemently disagree?

2. Corey Italiano
      April 19th, 2010 | 11:15 am

@ YankCrank:
      I took the Babe over Lou just because of what the Babe has meant to the sport. Hard to argue anyones pick when it comes to the final four.

3. MJ Recanati
      April 19th, 2010 | 11:35 am

@ YankCrank:
      I don’t have a major problem with yoru choices but I went the other way.

Babe, like Corey said, transcends the sport and the team. I had to go with Babe for all the records he held before Barry, etc. took them down.

As for Joe v. Mick, I took Mick because he’e always been one of my favorites ever since reading his first-person account of the summer of 1956.

4. YankCrank
      April 19th, 2010 | 11:43 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      If you haven’t read it or watched it yet, i’d Google Mickey’s eulogy that Bob Costas wrote. I think it’s the only speech that’s ever made me cry, this line in-particular…

“I just hope God has a place for him where he can run again. Where he can play practical jokes on his teammates and smile that boyish smile, ’cause God knows, no one’s perfect. And God knows, there’s something special about heroes.

So long, Mick. Thanks.”

5. April 19th, 2010 | 11:43 am

Ruth was the greatest batter ever – by most accounts.

But, I took Gehrig over him – because, I suspect, if I were watching them play, in their day, I would have liked Lou more than Babe – because he was still an unearthly hitter and a player/person more in the mold of those who I root for…

I took Micky over Joe D.

Tough call there.

Joe D’s career was short. Mantle had a full one. (I don’t buy the “His career was cut short by injuries thing. Mantle played in a ton of games. Maybe he wasn’t 100% – but, he was able to play.)

Joe was brillant in all phases of the game. But, Mantle was a very, very, very special hitter too.

Mantle was considered a great teammate and humble – ‘tho a drunk and chased skirts.

DiMag was cold and a prick – and had some questionable associations.

In the end, I went for Mick because he played longer and was so liked by his teammates.

Yet, like I warned, these two match-ups are tough. Can’t wait to see who’s in the final!

6. MJ Recanati
      April 19th, 2010 | 12:06 pm

@ YankCrank:
      That’s an awesome quote and, yes, I’ve seen that eulogy. I was at the Stadium right when he died (they were playing the Bosox) and I definitely felt like I was part of something greater than myself, even though I’d never personally seen Mantle play. One of the best times I’ve had at the ballpark (and the Yanks won that game too).

7. YankCrank
      April 19th, 2010 | 12:08 pm

I tried to judge these decisions on the greatest Yankee ballplayer and not give it to Babe because of what he “meant” to the sport. Even when you look at it as just numbers Babe is still the superior player, but in a lot of ways they were just so similar. Both have similar career BA, both walked a ton, had amazing power, rarely struck out, had very similar OBP and slugging percentage…

But I just like Lou’s overall game more. He played 5 fewer season than Babe but only had 152 fewer hits, had 27 more triples, won one more MVP, actually hit for the triple crown, played in more All Star games, was a superior defender (just looking at the numbers) and of course, there’s always that little feeling of what could have been had he not fallen ill.

There really isn’t a right or wrong answer, but that’s why I went for Lou.

8. YankCrank
      April 19th, 2010 | 12:16 pm

Actually, now that I look deeper at it, I wish I could change my vote to Mickey over Joe.

9. redbug
      April 19th, 2010 | 6:05 pm

I picked Mickey because I watched him in his final years. I can still remember running outside to yell “Mickey hit another one!”. Plus, I stood in line for 3 hours in 1985 in NYC to get his autograph on his book, “The Mick”. I was rewarded by his huge smile and a handshake when I told him how he made my Sundays so special growing up. Yank Crank’s reminder of Bob Costas’ eulogy sealed it.

I picked Lou over the Babe because, like Steve, I think I would’ve liked him more. I can’t say how many times I watched the movie about his life.