• Some News

Posted by on April 20th, 2010 · Comments (24)

It was five years ago today that I launched WasWatching.com.

Five years is a long time. If the clock on adulthood starts when school ends and working full-time begins, then this blog has been around for 20% of my adult life.

How many hours have I spent working on WasWatching.com during that time? Personally, I would say that 4,000 hours would be a conservative estimate. And, I wonder how many people have ever spent 4,000 hours working on one single project over a five year period?

In any event, it’s been an interesting journey. If you’ve been along for the ride, I hope that you’ve enjoyed some or most of it. I do appreciate those who are the long-time and/or frequent readers of WasWatching.com. It’s been fun to be in your company, for sure.

I sincerely intend on doing this for another year – covering the 2010 season.

After that, who knows? My priorities have changed quite a bit since 2005. And, there are several other projects that I’ve always wanted to tackle. But, for now, I’m still interested in doing this for a bit more.

So, I guess that’s good news for fans of this blog and not so good news for those who don’t like it. But, it’s news, nonetheless, as the title of this entry suggests.

Comments on Some News

1. jrk
      April 20th, 2010 | 1:10 am

Congrats, Steve – the longevity means you’re keeping people interested. I’m approaching almost 2 years of follwing this blog, still read it daily, and intend to as long as you keep writing.

2. Scout
      April 20th, 2010 | 7:14 am

Five years of thoughtful, provocative posts — an impressive record!

And kudos, too, to the respondents, who are much less interested in trying to one-up each other with snarky, insider-joke comments that proliferate at otherwise good sites such as RAB.

3. clintfsu813
      April 20th, 2010 | 7:55 am

Over 2 years for me Stevarino. I too will be around as long as you are. Maybe the guest authors could take over the reigns one day?

4. Corey Italiano
      April 20th, 2010 | 8:43 am

—————-
      That’s pretty much what software developers do, except longer depending on the software cycle.

That being said, congrats on 5 years my man. Makes me wonder when I started following the blog..has to be at least 3 years by now, right?

5. MJ Recanati
      April 20th, 2010 | 9:18 am

Congrats, Steve. I probably give you the most $hit on a consistent basis but I’m also your most loyal reader. Take it one day at a time, don’t dwell too much on what the future holds. You provide a valuable service to the Yankee-related internet community and you should remind yourself of that from time to time.

6. April 20th, 2010 | 9:52 am

Thanks all for the kind words. Nice to see – esp. since I see/hear so much bad stuff about me in other places. It’s great to see that some appreciate what I have done, and do, here. FYI:

Top WW Commentators (in terms of comment counts) – as of 9:50 am EST 4/20/10:

JJay (239)
      Lee Sinins (237)
      Andrew (236)
      Justin (226)
      mehmattski (226)
      snowball003 (214)
      Nick from Washington Heights (207)
      G.I. Joey (204)

Thanks to all of you for your interest and additions to the site over the years!

7. MJ Recanati
      April 20th, 2010 | 10:08 am

If you add up my two, I’m at 5856 which still trails Raf by 1121. I feel like he’s the Pete Rose of comments, far and away ahead of the pack.

8. April 20th, 2010 | 10:11 am

Raf had a head start. ;-) He’s been commenting here since Day 1.

9. Corey Italiano
      April 20th, 2010 | 10:13 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I feel like he’s the Pete Rose of comments, far and away ahead of the pack.

haha, nice. Havn’t heard much from OnceIWasAYankeeFan lately, eh?

10. MJ Recanati
      April 20th, 2010 | 10:14 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Raf had a head start. He’s been commenting here since Day 1.

I’ve been here since the ’05 ALDS which means Raf has a 6-month head start on me. That’s roughly 187 comments/month before I got in on the action.

11. MJ Recanati
      April 20th, 2010 | 10:17 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Havn’t heard much from OnceIWasAYankeeFan lately, eh?

I could’ve sworn he was here a week-10 days ago. But, no, as Boston has gone 44-40 since the 2009 All-Star break, I imagine there’s not much trolling he wants to do here.

12. Corey Italiano
      April 20th, 2010 | 10:19 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Last I recall from him he correctly predicted a come back for Papi last year after his horrible start.

13. clintfsu813
      April 20th, 2010 | 10:32 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I’m kickin Corey’s ass! ;)

14. clintfsu813
      April 20th, 2010 | 10:32 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Just the new version tho, lol.

15. Tresh Fan
      April 20th, 2010 | 11:01 am

Damn, if these figures are accurate, I have more to say to youse guys than my family. Scary, isn’t it?

16. clintfsu813
      April 20th, 2010 | 11:03 am

@ Tresh Fan:
      We are your family, lol

17. MJ Recanati
      April 20th, 2010 | 11:44 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

I don’t remember that but it seems likely.

Papi’s a weird case. He’s off to another horrible start but, based on last year, maybe he’s just become a lousy 1st half player and will figure it out in a couple of months. On the other hand, he HAS been declining so maybe we’re really seeing the end of his career.

18. G.I. Joey
      April 20th, 2010 | 12:01 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I hope this is the end of the road for Big Sloppy and it culminates with him owing Jay-Z 5 million in connection with that lawsuit that he was slapped him with.

19. MJ Recanati
      April 20th, 2010 | 1:36 pm

@ G.I. Joey:
      I’d be down with that.

20. Evan3457
      April 20th, 2010 | 5:43 pm

I’m only #7, but I feel I make it up in quality what I lack in quantity.

Or maybe I make it up in words per reply.
      Or maybe in glazed eyeballs and yawns per reply.

Or something.

21. Evan3457
      April 20th, 2010 | 5:47 pm

Five years? It seems like only 20. ;)

I kid, I kid.

Thanks for leaving this place open to anybody who thinks he knows something.

Again; do this for as long as your want to, then move on. It’s avocation, which is not the same thing as a career. If your passion for goes, then do something else. You have only one life and one set of talents. We’ll be sad when you go, but we’ll get over it. We’re big boys. And girls. Well, mostly.

April 20th, 2010 | 7:11 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Raf had a head start. He’s been commenting here since Day 1.

woo-hoo! I’m number 1, I’m number 1… :D

I’s been a fun ride, and whatever happens happens :).

23. Joseph M
      April 20th, 2010 | 9:08 pm

I think this is the best Yankee blog.

24. April 20th, 2010 | 10:15 pm

Thanks again all!

Seriously, as much as I tune out those belly-aching about me in other blogs and comments therein, on the equal flipside, I do appreciate seeing/hearing that you do enjoy this blog. Makes it all worthwhile!