• The A-Rod & Dallas Braden Dust Up

Posted by on April 22nd, 2010 · Comments (45)

The skinny via Chad Jennings -

In a very bizarre game, perhaps the most bizarre moment came in the sixth inning when Alex Rodriguez got into a shouting match with Oakland starter Dallas Braden.

“He just told me to get off his mound,” Rodriguez said. “I was a little surprised. I’d never quite heard that. Especially from a guy that has a handful of wins in his career.”

The whole thing started when Rodriguez went from first to third on a foul ball by Robinson Cano. On his way back to first, Rodriguez ran across the pitcher’s mound, which Braden saw as a sign of disrespect.

“I don’t care if I’m Cy Young or the 25th man on the roster, if I’ve got the ball in my hand and I’m on that mound, that’s my mound,” Braden said. “… He ran across the pitcher’s mound foot on my rubber. No, not happening. We’re not the door mat anymore.”

Rodriguez said he had never heard the unwritten rule that a player shouldn’t run across the mound. When Braden started yelling at him, Rodriguez didn’t know what it was about. “I thought it was pretty funny, actually,” Rodriguez said.

Braden, though, went out of his way to call out Rodriguez. He spoke very kindly of the Yankees organization, but took great exception to Rodriguez.

“He should maybe watch his Captain a little more often,” Braden said.

I’ve seen guys cut across the infield on their way back…lots of times. It’s pretty much the norm. But, I’ve never seen a player step on the mound and get into the pitcher’s space. Since that’s what A-Rod did…then I can understand Braden getting rubbed the wrong way here.

Comments on The A-Rod & Dallas Braden Dust Up

1. Corey Italiano
      April 22nd, 2010 | 11:38 pm

I really took it the other way. I don’t see what the big deal was as it was the end of the inning and Dallas should have gotten his ass off the mound anyway.

2. Corey Italiano
      April 22nd, 2010 | 11:39 pm

——————————
      Flat out lie, why would he have his foot on the rubber if it was the end of the inning after a double play.

April 22nd, 2010 | 11:41 pm

I don’t see the big deal either… Whatever, Braden.

4. April 22nd, 2010 | 11:44 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

It wasn’t on the DP. It was on Cano’s foul ball before that.

5. BellaSakura
      April 22nd, 2010 | 11:45 pm

Wasn’t end of inning. But I still don’t care though.

6. April 22nd, 2010 | 11:47 pm

So you think A-Rod is in the wrong here. I’m shocked, shocked to hear that!

While Braden was coming up with an unwritten rule most fans never heard of until today, I’m wondering if Mr. Etiquette ever heard of the unwritten rule about how no-name players shouldn’t call out superstars.

7. JeremyM
      April 22nd, 2010 | 11:47 pm

Seems to be me like Braden was itching for a fight and this is the best he could come up with. Very lame. A-Rod sure is a magnet for this stuff. Not really sure how anyone could take Braden’s side on this, but no Yankee blinders and all that….. :)

8. Corey Italiano
      April 22nd, 2010 | 11:47 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      That? That was it? Yes didn’t really show that, they made it seem like it happened after the double play. It wouldn’t really bother me to the point of slamming my glove on the ground and yelling like a child.

As A-Rod did, shoo. (he made the shoo gesture (as in to the dugout) with his hands when Dallas was barking at the end of the inning)

9. April 22nd, 2010 | 11:51 pm

Braden also threatened to plunk A-Rod the next time out. Can you imagine if, say, Joba Chamberlain promised such a thing? What outrage there would be? But hey, it’s A-Rod he threatened to hit, so it’s okay.

10. BellaSakura
      April 22nd, 2010 | 11:55 pm

Seems to me the A’s are feeling a little small. Did you read about Duchscherer before the series began?

Apparently Sutcliffe told Ravech (ESPN BBTN) he’d never heard of such an unwritten rule. Thats what I heard Ravech said to Braden when they interviewed him according to a poster on LoHud. There was some guy who studies the etiquette and said it was more an unwritten rule about 40-50 years ago but not really followed as much now.

So if its not some unanimous unwritten rule that all follow, while Braden can get ticked off, I don’t see the need for everyone else to act like A-Rod violated some international norm and committed a crime against humanity

11. throwstrikes
      April 23rd, 2010 | 12:06 am

Video was on MLB Network. On Cano’s foul down third base line, A-Rod had run to third. Braden got a new ball from the HP ump and started walking up the front of the mound when A-Rod ran across it to get back to first. No audio but he looked A-Rod back to 1st. After the final out he started screaming at him, A-Rod waved him off and Braden went into meltdown mode, throwing his glove and kicking stuff in the dugout.

Varied opinion on MLB whether this unwritten rule exists but Magrane thought it was gamesmanship by A-Rod to rattle Braden. Reynolds laughed it off.

12. MJ Recanati
      April 23rd, 2010 | 12:12 am

@ BellaSakura:
      In all honest, I wonder which player or players Duchscherer was referring to that he thinks would be perceived as “superstars” if they played here in New York? I truly can’t think of a single player on their current 25-man roster — other than Ben Sheets — that would garner much more than a few grunts here in NY.

I’m not saying it to be mean but their 25-man roster might be the suckiest in the AL. It doesn’t mean they’ll finish with the worst record but it does mean that even the O’s have more “stars” than the A’s do.

13. April 23rd, 2010 | 12:12 am

lisaswan wrote:

So you think A-Rod is in the wrong here. I’m shocked, shocked to hear that!

And, you think A-Rod did no wrong here. I’m shocked, shocked to hear that! ;-)

14. throwstrikes
      April 23rd, 2010 | 12:13 am

Braden’s quote when speaking with Ravech-

“The mounds in the center of the diamond because the pitcher is the center of the universe when we’re out there.”

New world map. Dallas is the center of the universe!

15. throwstrikes
      April 23rd, 2010 | 12:17 am

40-50 years ago, A-Rod would get one in the ear next time he came up but the pitcher wouldn’t have a meltdown on the field or cry to the media about it after.

16. MJ Recanati
      April 23rd, 2010 | 12:31 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      At the very least, can you admit that there is some debate as to whether or not A-Rod actually violated one of the unwritten rules of the game? I mean you have some pundits saying this rule exists and is still enforced, others saying it was a rule 40-50 years ago but has fallen out of favor and others still saying they’ve never heard of it.

If there is no consensus on the rule’s existence or of its currency, I don’t quite see how you can be so clear in damning A-Rod once again. He might’ve violated one of baseball’s unwritten rules but to come out and definitively say so is probably jumping to conclusions.

17. April 23rd, 2010 | 12:36 am

FWIW…

Michael Duca, co-author of “The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing and Bench-Clearing Brawls: The Unwritten Rules of America’s Pastime,” said the running-over-the-mound rule was known better years ago.

“It was very common (to observe the rule) in the ’40s, ’50s and ’60s,” Duca told FanHouse. “Bob Gibson was very well versed in protecting what he called his office. He told people to say the … out of my office. Had that been Gibson on the mound, A-Rod would have picked himself off the grass to get back to first. He would have decked him. No question about it.”

18. April 23rd, 2010 | 12:40 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

… I don’t quite see how you can be so clear in damning A-Rod once again. He might’ve violated one of baseball’s unwritten rules but to come out and definitively say so is probably jumping to conclusions.

Did I say that?

I wrote: “Since that’s what A-Rod did…then I can understand Braden getting rubbed the wrong way here.”

Read what I wrote – that I understand why the pitcher was pissed. But, never did I “damn” A-Rod.

19. MJ Recanati
      April 23rd, 2010 | 12:48 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Note, however, that Braden being rubbed the wrong way doesn’t automatically mean that A-Rod did something wrong.

I reiterate that there seems to be a good bit of confusion over the currency of this rule in the year 2010. As such, what might’ve gotten A-Rod plunked in 1965 is more or less irrelevant.

20. butchie22
      April 23rd, 2010 | 7:35 am

Point blank, Afraud shows his cluenessless with crossing the pitcher’s mound. Funny how all the money and talent in the world doesn’t hide boorishness and acting in an uncouth fashion. Leave it up to Afraud to piss off another team,it’s not the first time it’s happened ,remember what happened in Toronto and the repercussions to that dubious action?

But to be fair, Braden was grandstanding a bit much,wasn’t he? He gace The Yankee organization a compliment as being a classy organization(he smells a free agent contract from them in his future!) and wasn’t remiss in mentioning that. Though I agree with SL that what Afraud did rubbed Dallas The Nobody Braden there’s a BUT there. Braden acted as if afraud said ha when running the bases OR trying to hit a ball out of a pitcher’s glove…oh, Afraud has done that before!;) Needless to say, what Alex did was wrong however his etiquette infraction didn’t rise to the level of classlessness that the Toronto “HA” play or the attempted slap of Bronson Braid Boy Arroyo’s glove. Dallas(i’m suspicious of people who are named after a city who supported the Confederacy!:) )needs to chill and have a hit of hillbilly heroin(vicodin) or just down an old fashioned six pack. I grok the fact that Arod is a dick BUT Dallas Braindagamedden came off as a bit of one too!

21. Tresh Fan
      April 23rd, 2010 | 7:39 am

I’m not sure. Did A-Rod yell “HA!” when he crossed the mound?

22. April 23rd, 2010 | 7:57 am

A little off-topic, but seeing Braden’s reaction at the end… when he heads to the dugout… what a kick! What are the chances? (Look for the cup)

23. April 23rd, 2010 | 8:34 am

One add on –

the Yankees have 13 offensive players on their team now…and, it was A-Rod that was involved with this situation…granted it’s not up there with the Varitek fight, the glove slap in the ’04 ALCS, or even the “Ha!” play…

but, seriously, why is it always A-Rod who is involved in this type of stuff?

24. MJ Recanati
      April 23rd, 2010 | 8:59 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

the Varitek fight

I’m not sure I see how this one is even “this type of stuff”. He was hit by a pitch and took exception to it. He’s not the first or the last to be involved in a fist-fight after an HBP. Funny how you don’t bring up Posada’s assinine behavior at the end of last year.

Moreover, it was Varitek that exhibited all the sportsmanship and cojones of a sissy 3rd grader by fighting with his mask on.

If you want to criticize Rodriguez for something, jeez, can you at least stick to the few talking points that actually make sense?

25. April 23rd, 2010 | 9:03 am

@ Steve Lombardi: “but, seriously, why is it always A-Rod who is involved in this type of stuff?”

Um, because other teams know he’s an easy target? And that the mediots and A-Rod haters will fall in line condemning A-Rod for being “wrong” about a rule most never heard of until yesterday?

If Alex were anybody else, people would be praising his gamesmanship, his ability to get into the opposition’s head. Have you ever seen anybody flip out over nothing the way that Braden pitcher did? I haven’t.

26. April 23rd, 2010 | 9:07 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      “And, you think A-Rod did no wrong here. I’m shocked, shocked to hear that! ;-)”

Yeah, I’m funny that way. I root for my own team’s players, especially the best player my team has. And especially when he has no-name pitchers trying to make their bones in calling him out over nonsense.

27. MJ Recanati
      April 23rd, 2010 | 9:10 am

@ lisaswan:
      Further to Lisa’s point, the A-Rod slap play received HIGH PRIORITY media attention.

Dustin Pedroia’s attempt to do the same thing? Ignored.

It may not excuse A-Rod in the eyes of some (or many) but it highlights — once again — the enormous double-standard that exists in how Alex Rodriguez is covered in the media and treated by fans. There is literally nothing this guy can do that won’t tick somebody off, even if he’s just standing there minding his own business.

28. YankCrank
      April 23rd, 2010 | 9:25 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Bingo. Get the f over it people.

This isn’t even worth arguing for the 9 millionth time.

29. April 23rd, 2010 | 9:33 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Well, when you put it that way, then, hey, it makes perfect sense that he likes to kiss himself in the mirror! ;-)

30. April 23rd, 2010 | 9:36 am

FWIW…

Today, if you told me that I had Mark Teixeira and you had A-Rod, and you offered to trade me Alex for Mark, I would not make that trade. IMHO, today, Tex is the better player.

31. YankCrank
      April 23rd, 2010 | 10:17 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

FWIW…

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can’t say we’d be wrong in questioning your opinion here. You have a very anti-Alex stand most of the time, making your opinion questionably biased.

Truth in point, I seem to remember a Mr. Alex Rodriguez getting called out multiple times on WW before the ’09 playoffs for his lack of October production, yet Mr. Teixeira shows up last year and hits a cool .175 with only two HRs in 15 games.

This is a standard you once used to bring Alex down, but Tex has similar, if not worst, production. it seems like somebody is getting a pass here…

32. April 23rd, 2010 | 10:29 am

@ Steve Lombardi: “. IMHO, today, Tex is the better player.”

What are your standards for this? As YankCrank notes, Teixeira was mostly “unclutch” in the postseason, the same thing you gave A-Rod grief for. In 2010, Tex is off to yet another slow start, so it can’t be this year.

As for 2009, their numbers are very similar. And given that A-Rod was recovering from a torn labrum, it makes his numbers even more amazing:

BA OBP Slugging OPS
      Tex: 292 .383 .565 .948
      A-Rod: 286 .402 .532 .933

But of course you would trade A-Rod for Tex. You would trade A-Rod for anybody! ;)

33. throwstrikes
      April 23rd, 2010 | 10:34 am

“Tex is the better player.”

If the season went from May to September. :wink:

A-Rod and Matsui saved Tex the postseason choker label last year.

April 23rd, 2010 | 1:18 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

but, seriously, why is it always A-Rod who is involved in this type of stuff?

It isn’t so much that it’s always A-Rod, it’s that he gets a disproportionate amount of attention. Like the famous clip of Jeter diving into the stands. He isn’t the first player to dive into the stands while making a defensive play, yet that’s the clip you see more often than not.

35. butchie22
      April 23rd, 2010 | 1:35 pm

YankCrank wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:Memo to most of you folks: he’s the Yanks’ best player, and he has been since the day he showed up in 2004. Deal with it.Bingo. Get the f over it people.This isn’t even worth arguing for the 9 millionth time.

Crank, he’s been their best player(arguably in the eyes of casual Yankees fans that apellation might belong to St Derek Jeter the Golden Boy NOT Afraud) BUT also their biggest douche bag to many! The guy is a mental mess. In the press conference after the game made himself look even worse then before! he can’t wellbloody help himself can he?

To tell it like it is, like I always(HAHA!) did Dallas Dumbbell Braden looked like an extra from the film Deliverence in his press conference or what? Yeah, I get it you hate Afraud like so many other people do. Yes, Aroid is a douche BUT he is a most talented one. And Derek is classy and Arod is an asshole many people do agree Braden BUT put that Johnny Reb sneer away,please? He reminds of the comic book character Jonah Hex but without the melting face!

Someone mentioned Teix The Portuguese Mattingly not making it in the post season??! You folks are kidding right? He’s been here one season yet. Rip him a new asshole if he bombs again this year,mates!There is a reason why The April Do Nothing Kid gets a free pass over the Bi-Racial/Hawnspawn’s ex/Steroid User/multiple MVP, Arod. Teix doesn’t come across as an annoying phoney like Afraud does.He doesn’t yell HA on the field , attempts slaps balls ouy of Braid Boy’s glove AND certainly conducts himself in a far more gracious matter than Afraud does!In essence, Teix is far more likable than the aroid who almost craves attention for being a starf%^&er, a mental midget and a phony. Aroid has million dollar talent but a ten cent head!

Someone mentioned Wolf Boy Pedroia? They mentioned that his brother was a child molester in the press! It’s true by the way. Wolf Boy might have slapped the ball tried to slap the ball somewhere BUT was it in the playoffs with the Yankees having going down the tubes to have the worse collpase in baseball history leading to the darkest day in Yankee History and the Old Stadium where Kevin Roid Rage Brown and Mr Junior Varsity got shelled? as far as I know most baseball players like and respect Wolf Boy and can’t stand Afraud. That can’t all be about a Yankee bias BECAUSE so many give mad props to St Derek the Golden Boy!

36. April 23rd, 2010 | 3:25 pm

lisaswan wrote:

Um, because other teams know he’s an easy target?

Or it’s just that opposing players absolutely hate his guts and Braden took the chance to scream at him for that.

The replay was such a ‘who cares’ moment that if I wasn’t looking for it, I probably would have missed it. A *real* “f*ck you” moment by A-Rod would have been running directly over the rubber.

37. April 23rd, 2010 | 3:27 pm

throwstrikes wrote:

“Tex is the better player.”
      If the season went from May to September.
      A-Rod and Matsui saved Tex the postseason choker label last year.

Really? Game winning HR against the Twins, hello?

38. April 23rd, 2010 | 3:29 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

FWIW…

I say Gibson was just an enormous crank who happened to be a Hall of Famer.

39. April 23rd, 2010 | 3:31 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

FWIW…

Wow, seriously? I’m a huge Teix fan and I actually like his attitude a lot more than A-Rod’s, but I’m also not on crack.

Even if you were talking purely from a fantasy perspective, a third baseman with A-Rod’s output is a LOT more valuable than Teix at his position…

40. BOHAN
      April 23rd, 2010 | 3:50 pm

personally a pitcher i dont like anyone stepping on my mound. i dont even like the fact that the other pitcher is on my mound half the time. i get where braden is coming from but i wouldnt yell at the guy who did it. he would be wearing one in his back and then id let him know what he did. and i was also told the same thing braden was in that when your on the mound your the center of the universe. not quite that way tho. i was tuaghtthat im the on in control of the game.

41. BOHAN
      April 23rd, 2010 | 4:12 pm

a pitcher’s mound is his work place. its where he makes his money. would you like it if someone you didnt want in your workplace came in univited? i bet not and im sure youd let him hear about it. thats basically the way braden felt there. just think of it that way. it makes sense. im sure arod knew what he was doing. trying to get in the head of a young kid while his team was down and not hitting the ball very well. its part of the game.

42. redbug
      April 23rd, 2010 | 6:14 pm

Of course Arod had to show class by saying

43. Evan3457
      April 23rd, 2010 | 6:24 pm

redbug wrote:

Of course Arod had to show class by saying“He just told me to get off his mound,” Rodriguez said. “That was a little surprising. I’ve never quite heard that – especially from a guy that has a handful of wins in his career.”I mean really, why point out a lesser guy’s atat’s? Did Arod really need to make fun of the guy to show that a graet player need pay no attn to such a lowly player’s criticism?

Actually, that’s fairly typical of most major league superstars in any major sport when they get into a beef with a lesser player, or a rookie. They typically will cite the other player’s lack of “credentials” as part of their “defense”. A-Rod’s no different.

April 24th, 2010 | 12:21 am

BOHAN wrote:

i was tuaghtthat im the on in control of the game.

Then you don’t lose control by acting like an ass. People walked across the mound when I’ve pitched, I couldn’t have cared less. If they were trying to get in my head, it didn’t work, I kept racking up the 6-3′s and the 4-3′s.

Braden needs to unbunch his panties.

45. 77yankees
      April 24th, 2010 | 9:45 am

Maybe Braden could have been taken a tad more seriously if he didn’t have a temper tantrum suited for a three year old.

If you need to try to fire yourself and your team up when you’re facing the World Champions, maybe you shouldn’t be on the field to begin with.