• Timing A-Rod’s HR Trot

Posted by on April 26th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Now…even I will admit that this is crazy. (H/T BBTF.)

Alex takes about 3 seconds more than most to get around the bases? Three seconds?

Why would anyone make a big deal about that?

Comments on Timing A-Rod’s HR Trot

1. MJ Recanati
      April 26th, 2010 | 10:24 am

The Wall Street Journal is the newspaper of record for the domestic investment community. The day I let the WSJ color my opinion on sports issues is the day I let ESPN talk to me about financial reform.

Fuck WSJ.

2. #15
      April 26th, 2010 | 10:29 am

I suppose Manny is around 38 seconds as it takes him 6 just to leave the box.

Line drive hitters will inevitably be prone to go hard out of the box. A-Rod is more prone to no-doubter moon-shots and thus a slower break. I never got the sense he was showing the opposition up by dogging it around the bases. The pause/look into his own dugout on occasion is okay with me as well, if the move is understood to tell his teammates, “I got your backs. Climb on and lets go.” That’s how I read it when Bernie used to take that look in once in a while.

Just hit another 40 or so for the year and it won’t matter a lick.

3. April 26th, 2010 | 11:01 am

Thanks for writing this, Steve!

The WSJ makes their big splash in the NYC market with this trivia? What’s next – checking to see which Yankee spent the longest time doing high fives?

4. MJ Recanati
      April 26th, 2010 | 11:06 am

@ lisaswan:
      The interesting thing about this, to me, is that the WSJ should be taking an anti-populist, pro-star bent on their sports reporting. After all, the main pages of their newspaper is entirely in praise of free markets, individuality, etc. Why would they get so touchy all of a sudden with someone’s HR trot?

5. Evan3457
      April 26th, 2010 | 11:15 am

…and that’s not all.

A-Rod’s the slowest to tip the locker room workers.
      And he takes longer between toe-nail trimmings than anyone else on the team.
      And he takes the longest to use the facilities; you should see the lines waiting for him to finish…whata creep.
      And he uses up more parking space than anyone; leaves too much room between his car and the car next to his.
      And he sings The National Anthem and Take Me Out To The Ballgame off-key.
      And he uses more rosin than anyone else on the team.
      And he uses more jock straps than anyone, too.
      And he eats more from the buffet table than anyone.
      And he’s always on the post-game show, just for the freebies.
      And he uses more lamp-black on sunny days than anyone.
      And his high-fives are more numerous and last longer, and frequently done just for show.
      And he deliberately carries more bats to make the batboys work harder.

…and on and on like that.

6. YankCrank
      April 26th, 2010 | 11:17 am

@ Evan3457:

Haha! Absolutely hilarious, loved that comment lol

April 26th, 2010 | 1:32 pm

Used to take about an hour for Lee Smith to amble from the bullpen to the mound :D

If I’m Rodriguez and I read this, I’d make it a point to trot even slower :)

8. April 26th, 2010 | 3:11 pm

I took a look at the stats in the article and wrote something about it on my own site. Turns out that the criteria they used “current Yankee starters with at least 10 home runs” excluded 1/3 of the 2009 homers, but added in Granderson (but not slowpoke Nick Johnson, who only hit eight homers last year.) Not very complete criteria.

9. April 26th, 2010 | 6:09 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

Good question. The way that they appear to have jiggered the stats to prove their point (add Granderson in, keep Nick Johnson out, leave 1/3 of 2009 team homers out) are pretty bad. It doesn’t matter to me who loses this dubious contest; I just think the numbers should be done fairly. And they didn’t do that.