• Schilling: Vazquez Won’t Succeed In Yankeeland

    Posted by on April 27th, 2010 · Comments (33)

    Red Light Schilling offers some opinion/analysis on Javy Vazquez –

    “I never ever thought the move to New York the first time was a good one [for Vazquez]. And I didn’t think this [move] was good as well,” Schilling said. “I don’t think he suddenly learned how to pitch when he went back to Atlanta and dealt last year. He’s a phenomenal National League pitcher. It’s hard to say this without sounding disrespectful and I don’t mean it that way — the National League is an easier league to pitch in, period. And some guys aren’t equipped to get those same outs in the American League, and he’s one of those guys.”

    “[Vazquez] thrived in Montreal and he thrived in Atlanta, and those are both second-tier cities from a baseball passion perspective. He’s not a guy that I’ve ever felt was comfortable in the glow,” Schilling said. “You’re seeing what you’re gonna get from him consistently all year. Having said that, he could turn around next week and throw a one-hitter with his stuff. I just don’t see him being a consistent winner in the American League.”

    It’s interesting to see this…just one week after Yankees G.M. Brian Cashman said that he has faith in Vazquez: “I wouldn’t have traded for him if I didn’t,” Cashman said.

    OK, I’ll just hang up now and listen to your reaction…

    Comments on Schilling: Vazquez Won’t Succeed In Yankeeland

    1. Corey Italiano
      April 27th, 2010 | 9:30 am

      Who cares what Schilling says

    2. YankCrank
      April 27th, 2010 | 9:32 am

      Corey Italiano wrote:

      Who cares what Schilling says

      Not me.

    3. MJ Recanati
      April 27th, 2010 | 10:22 am

      YankCrank wrote:

      Not me.

      Me neither.

      I suppose fans from “second-tier cities from a baseball passion perspective” might want to ask Schilling what he meant by that. That’s a pretty ignorant statement right there.

    4. April 27th, 2010 | 11:30 am

      I figure…Schilling is just getting his feet wet with ESPN and needs a big splash to get some attention…and this is a perfect subject matter and team for him to target…to that end.

      But, that said, he also knows a lot about pitching and performing on a big stage…as well as the difference between pitching in the NL and AL…so, maybe there’s something to what he’s saying too?

    5. YankCrank
      April 27th, 2010 | 11:39 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      I figure…Schilling is just getting his feet wet with ESPN and needs a big splash to get some attention…and this is a perfect subject matter and team for him to target…to that end.
      But, that said, he also knows a lot about pitching and performing on a big stage…as well as the difference between pitching in the NL and AL…so, maybe there’s something to what he’s saying too?

      Could there be something to what he’s saying? Sure, there can be. But that doesn’t change the fact that i’ll never want to listen to him talk about any subject matter – even if he happened to be 110% right about it.

    6. bfriley76
      April 27th, 2010 | 12:06 pm

      What team was Vasquez pitching for during the first half of 2004?

    7. bfriley76
      April 27th, 2010 | 12:28 pm

      bfriley76 wrote:

      What team was Vasquez pitching for during the first half of 2004?

      Sorry…Vazquez

    8. MJ Recanati
      April 27th, 2010 | 12:52 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      But, that said, he also knows a lot about pitching and performing on a big stage…as well as the difference between pitching in the NL and AL…so, maybe there’s something to what he’s saying too?

      I don’t see any correlation to Schilling’s success and any knowledge on the subject of pitching “on a big stage.”

      Schilling succeeded because he’s one of his generation’s best pitchers, not because he was armed with some innate knowledge into how to perform in Boston.

    9. Raf
      April 27th, 2010 | 3:29 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      But, that said, he also knows a lot about pitching and performing on a big stage…as well as the difference between pitching in the NL and AL…so, maybe there’s something to what he’s saying too?

      Maybe, maybe not, but it should be noted that Vazquez pitched 3 years in Chicago and 4+ years in the AL.

      “The big stage” isn’t the reason his velocity’s down or his walks are up. 3 of his starts have been in “second-tier cities” such as TB, LA & OAK, so I’m not sure as to what he’s getting at.

      Pitchers slump. It happens. I mentioned before that Verlander and Lester have been getting hammered, their track record says they’ll be fine. I’d be willing to wager the same with Vazquez.

    10. ken
      April 27th, 2010 | 4:30 pm

      The bigger issue may not be better hitters in AL lineups but the added pressure of playing in NY for the NYY. Now that the media and fans are smelling blood, can he block all that out and get back on track?

    11. April 27th, 2010 | 4:48 pm

      @ ken:
      Yes, that’s the big question now.

    12. MJ Recanati
      April 27th, 2010 | 4:51 pm

      ken wrote:

      The bigger issue may not be better hitters in AL lineups but the added pressure of playing in NY for the NYY. Now that the media and fans are smelling blood, can he block all that out and get back on track?

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      How can you guys still believe this stuff?

    13. April 27th, 2010 | 5:02 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      How can you guys still believe this stuff?

      90% of the game is half mental.
      Ask A-Rod about the post-season of 2006. Once this stuff gets into your head, most guys are cooked.

    14. Corey Italiano
      April 27th, 2010 | 6:13 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      90% of the game is half mental.
      Ask A-Rod about the post-season of 2006. Once this stuff gets into your head, most guys are cooked.

      So you think it wasn’t in his head last year? Come on

    15. April 27th, 2010 | 6:27 pm

      I think something was in A-Rod last year, but, that’s up to the Feds to find out about… ;-)

    16. ken
      April 27th, 2010 | 6:54 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      How can you guys still believe this stuff?

      Are you questioning whether state of mind matters or if Vazquez specifically has such a problem? There’s not doubt that this is an issue for some players. The only question is whether it is affecting Vazquez. The jury is out on him.

    17. Raf
      April 27th, 2010 | 6:58 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Ask A-Rod about the post-season of 2006. Once this stuff gets into your head, most guys are cooked.

      Rodriguez has had good postseasons, he has had bad postseasons. Doesn’t mean that someone has gotten into his head, it means he has had a bad postseason.

    18. Raf
      April 27th, 2010 | 6:59 pm

      ken wrote:

      Are you questioning whether state of mind matters or if Vazquez specifically has such a problem? There’s not doubt that this is an issue for some players.

      There’s plenty of doubt. There are players that have failed in other venues as well, is it because they couldn’t handle the pressure of playing in San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Cleveland, or wherever?

    19. BOHAN
      April 27th, 2010 | 8:47 pm

      100% agree with schilling. said when they made this move. he’s a NL pitcher. and hes to mentality soft to pitch in the big city.

    20. BOHAN
      April 27th, 2010 | 8:48 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      MJ Recanati wrote:
      How can you guys still believe this stuff?
      90% of the game is half mental.
      Ask A-Rod about the post-season of 2006. Once this stuff gets into your head, most guys are cooked.

      ask the rest of lienup about the post-season of 2006 no one did anything

    21. BOHAN
      April 27th, 2010 | 8:50 pm

      minus jeter abreu and posada

    22. MJ Recanati
      April 27th, 2010 | 11:37 pm

      BOHAN wrote:

      he’s a NL pitcher.

      Funny, 2007 was a pretty darn good year and I do believe he pitched for the Chicago White Sox of the American League.

    23. Jake1
      April 28th, 2010 | 9:50 am

      hate schilling all u want but hes right about vazquez

    24. bfriley76
      April 28th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

      Again, I’ll ask…which team was Vazquez pitching for again in the first half of 2004? So he was able to handle NY then, but isn’t able to handle it now?

    25. MJ Recanati
      April 28th, 2010 | 12:31 pm

      Jake1 wrote:

      hate schilling all u want but hes right about vazquez

      Because you say so?

    26. BOHAN
      April 28th, 2010 | 12:52 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      BOHAN wrote:he’s a NL pitcher.Funny, 2007 was a pretty darn good year and I do believe he pitched for the Chicago White Sox of the American League.

      congratualtion he pitched one good year in the AL…. on a team that doesnt get a quarter of the media scrutiny that NY does.

    27. BOHAN
      April 28th, 2010 | 12:54 pm

      bfriley76 wrote:

      Again, I’ll ask…which team was Vazquez pitching for again in the first half of 2004? So he was able to handle NY then, but isn’t able to handle it now?

      he pitched well when he wasnt under the microscope of being in a tight race. first half is easy to pitch. second half proves who the real pitchers are. how do you pitch when the pressure is on you? and now that the pressure has been on him since he was traded here he’s once again pitching like shit.

    28. MJ Recanati
      April 28th, 2010 | 1:56 pm

      BOHAN wrote:

      congratualtion he pitched one good year in the AL…. on a team that doesnt get a quarter of the media scrutiny that NY does.

      The fact that he pitched well in the AL even once disproves your assertion that he can’t pitch well in the AL.

      And, as bfriley76 said, the fact that he pitched well in the first half of the ’04 season should adequately address the misguided notion that Vazquez somehow can’t handle New York.

      Frankly, I’m amazed that people actually believe in the idea that New York is somehow a harder market to play in. It’s such antiquated, self-serving BS.

    29. bfriley76
      April 28th, 2010 | 1:58 pm

      BOHAN wrote:

      bfriley76 wrote:
      Again, I’ll ask…which team was Vazquez pitching for again in the first half of 2004? So he was able to handle NY then, but isn’t able to handle it now?
      he pitched well when he wasnt under the microscope of being in a tight race. first half is easy to pitch. second half proves who the real pitchers are. how do you pitch when the pressure is on you? and now that the pressure has been on him since he was traded here he’s once again pitching like shit.

      The Yankees had a 101/2 game lead through mid-august in 2004. Vazquez started pitching poorly well before then, so I don’t think the “tight race” is what did him in.

    30. butchie22
      April 28th, 2010 | 8:53 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      BOHAN wrote:congratualtion he pitched one good year in the AL…. on a team that doesnt get a quarter of the media scrutiny that NY does.The fact that he pitched well in the AL even once disproves your assertion that he can’t pitch well in the AL.And, as bfriley76 said, the fact that he pitched well in the first half of the ‘04 season should adequately address the misguided notion that Vazquez somehow can’t handle New York.Frankly, I’m amazed that people actually believe in the idea that New York is somehow a harder market to play in. It’s such antiquated, self-serving BS.

      Ut’s not MJ, ever been to a Cubs game. The homerism there is almost as bad as it is in St Louis. Ever hear HAwk Harrelson call a White Sox game? The Sox are the good guys and the other team is not! MJ you are in denial about how hard it is to play in the DEvil’s Triangle of baseball, Philly-NYC -Boston. even Schill the Shrill mentioned how the pressure is different in NYC and Boston. and you should know better BECAUSE you lived in St Louis right? The fans down there and the press is so civilized compared to what goes on in the Northeast.

      If you look at Jubior Varsity’s metrics as a whole, he’s a worse pitcher in the AL vs the NL. Period. Even with the White Sox his stats were decent truth be told but not mindblowing.

      However I must say this much,JV is not cut out for The Yankees. The BS story about the injury in 2004, it comes out now? where is there verification from a doctor? That was total horseshit. Look at JV’s comments and demeanor after games this year…he’s soft! Ozzy Guillen is a Madman BUT he was right about JV.

    31. Raf
      April 30th, 2010 | 12:48 am

      *facepalm*

    32. Raf
      April 30th, 2010 | 12:51 am

      Raf wrote:

      The BS story about the injury in 2004, it comes out now? where is there verification from a doctor?

      http://waswatching.com/2005/05/16/javy-vazquez-now-you-tell-us/

    33. McMillan
      November 10th, 2013 | 7:25 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      I don’t see any correlation to Schilling’s success and any knowledge on the subject of pitching “on a big stage.”

      Schilling succeeded because he’s one of his generation’s best pitchers, not because he was armed with some innate knowledge into how to perform in Boston.

      That makes sense. Is it possible Schilling acquired some knowledge into how to perform in a market such as Boston before his arrival, that was helpful to him, and that he had the psychological makeup to succeed in a markey such as Boston to begin with?

      And Schilling was right, was he not?

      Raf wrote:

      I mentioned before that Verlander and Lester have been getting hammered, their track record says they’ll be fine. I’d be willing to wager the same with Vazquez.

      @ Raf:
      How much money did you lose on that wager?

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Funny, 2007 was a pretty darn good year and I do believe he pitched for the Chicago White Sox of the American League.

      Funny, this guy BOHAN seems to pretty darn always come out on top, with certain people who seem to pretty darn always be in agreement, in retrospect…

      @ BOHAN

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Frankly, I’m amazed that people actually believe in the idea that New York is somehow a harder market to play in. It’s such antiquated, self-serving BS.

      Tell that to A.J. Burnett… He’s said so, frankly, and publicly…

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.