• Damon Gets Series Ring In The Mail

Posted by on April 28th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via George King

Johnny Damon couldn’t wait to get his hands on his Yankees World Series ring, so he won’t get mobbed by his former teammates on the field like Hideki Matsui, Chad Gaudin and Edwar Ramirez did recently after receiving theirs.

“I talked to Johnny in spring training about the ring and he said, ‘Can you just mail it? I can’t wait,’” Brian Cashman said today.

The Yankees play the Tigers — Damon’s new team — in Detroit starting May 10, but the left fielder couldn’t hold out till then.

“He didn’t want to wait,” Cashman said. “He said, ‘I want it as soon as possible.’”

Damon got his second World Series ring (he has one from the 2004 Red Sox) in the mail recently.

“I got it last week,’’ Damon told The Post. “It’s nice.’’

Wow. Damon couldn’t wait another two weeks? Seems strange. He really wanted to see that ring…I suppose.

I still hope the Yankees do something for him when the Tigers visit. It only seems right.

Comments on Damon Gets Series Ring In The Mail

1. jrk
      April 28th, 2010 | 5:41 pm

Agreed. Ring or no ring, he deserves some recognition and a mob of former teammates.

2. April 28th, 2010 | 6:08 pm

Thats somewhat weird to be honest… who wudnt want to get it on the field when he has the chance… strange fella

3. butchie22
      April 28th, 2010 | 9:01 pm

I miss Damonic, now The Yanks have Mr Media Savvy and MR OBP/LOW BA Johnson instead of JD and Gojira . I hope Cash Man trades back for him when The Toothless Tigers fall out of contention.

@jrk I agree wholeheartedly with you.

@sriv It’s a beautiful ring,maybe Michelle his wife wants to wear it!;)

4. satchel
      April 29th, 2010 | 8:22 am

Maybe he doesn’t feel comfortable palling around with his old team on the field in front of his new team? So, not that he couldn’t wait, but that he specifically doesn’t want a fuss made in front of the Tigers?

I have no idea if that’s a sensible way for a baseball player to feel, but I can imagine myself feeling that way! :)

(ps – heya Steve! I’m pretty sure I’ve registered here as carla before but I couldn’t find the password, so I decided to re-register with the old nick)

5. G.I. Joey
      April 29th, 2010 | 8:58 am

Maybe he had it mailed to him because that’s what Scott Boras told him to do :)

6. YankCrank
      April 29th, 2010 | 9:09 am

I don’t miss Johnny at all, and this is coming from a Johnny Damon fan. It took me about one spring training game to move on and realize this team can be perfectly fine without him.

He was a very big part of what we did last year, but if any of you haven’t moved on from Johnny yet, it’s time to get there :)

7. Corey Italiano
      April 29th, 2010 | 9:11 am

YankCrank wrote:

I don’t miss Johnny at all,

I 2nd that.

8. YankCrank
      April 29th, 2010 | 9:36 am

@ Corey Italiano:

Haha, I knew you’d chime in on that one :)

9. April 29th, 2010 | 9:51 am

@ satchel:

carla/satch – it’s good to see you! Hope all is well.