• April 29th @ The Orioles

Posted by on April 29th, 2010 · Comments (13)

Seems like every time I write one of these there is a fantastic pitching performance and Cano is mashing.

I’ll start with Burnett. Aside from the 6th inning (and he got out of that 1st and 2nd 1 out jam rather nicely), Burnett flat out dominated the Orioles through 8 frames. The Orioles looked completely helpless at the plate as Burnett allowed just 4 baserunners. Burnett’s fastball location was completely spot on in this one and made a huge impact. Perhaps the best I’ve seen from him in fact. If AJ, CC and Andy continue to pitch like this, it’s going to be a fun summer.

How about Marcus Thames? He keeps finding holes with bloopers and blasting shots off the wall against lefties. He’s pretty much gone from hitting nothing to nothing but hitting between March and April. If he could somehow maintain a shadow of his current performance throughout the year, he will be a pretty good tool off the bench for Joe Girardi. If Thames leaves his mitt at home, that is.

As Kim Jones noted shortly after the game, this is the Cano show. Cano had 2 lazer shots over the fence in right, and he looks as locked in as ever. After tonights game, he is now OPSing a Pujolsian 1.235 with 8 homers and 17 RBI. This month could possibly be the very best of his career (along with September 2006 where he OPSed 1.053 with 7 homers and 28 ribbies).

Can you imagine if Tex and A-Rod started hitting now with Cano smoldering at the plate?

Comments on April 29th @ The Orioles

1. Pat F
      April 29th, 2010 | 11:48 pm

nice recap CI. cano’s had 28 ribbies in september 2006? wow. i remember him finishing strong but that’s incredible.

how about cervelli’s block/catch of burnett’s curveball in the dirt, going way to his right? incredible athleticism, cervelli can defend that position. mj had to be pretty amped up about that, he’s been on people’s ability/inability to make far easier plays than that so far this year.

2. Corey Italiano
      April 29th, 2010 | 11:57 pm

Pat F wrote:

Oh yea forgot about that! That was some play! And then to have the sense to act as if it got away from him. I dig it.

3. Corey Italiano
      April 29th, 2010 | 11:59 pm

And thanks!

4. MJ Recanati
      April 29th, 2010 | 11:59 pm

Pat F wrote:

You’re damn right! It was awesome watching a real catcher back there. The snap-throw back to 1st when they tried to pick off Adam Jones in the 3rd or 4th inning? Loved seeing that!

I know Jorge’s still a good hitter and that has greater utility to the team than a true catch-and-throw guy behind the plate but, as a former catcher, it warms my heart when I get to see competence behind the plate making plays that should be made.

5. Pat F
      April 30th, 2010 | 12:14 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

And then to have the sense to act as if it got away from him. I dig it.

and i forgot about that! he definitely got me, i thought it was past him. i love everything cervelli brings to the table, he is the ideal back-up in my opinion, from the defense to the energy to the way he scraps you offensively.

@ MJ Recanati:

i’m a big believer in the immense value of jorge’s bat regardless of his D, not just because of his individual production (which is indisputable) but also because i think it gives the lineup a much fiercer/longer look having a catcher that hits at such an elite level. i think you only realize the value of something like that when you lose it, like in 2008. that said i totally get what you’re saying. sub-par defense is still frustrating, and it’s extra noticeable when you’re involved as much as a catcher is.

6. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2010 | 8:24 am

Agree on Thames, and when we face a tough lefty on the mound maybe it’s time to keep Gardner in there and use Thames as the DH. At least until Johnson gains his stroke back.

Cano is simply amazing, it’s at the point where I don’t want to miss a single Cano at bat and I haven’t felt that way since A-Rod in 2007.

7. Corey Italiano
      April 30th, 2010 | 9:02 am

@ YankCrank:
      When Cano is slumping in June, rolling the ball over to 2nd base every AB, let us remember this time.

8. G.I. Joey
      April 30th, 2010 | 9:09 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

@ YankCrank:

I hope those days never return. It was so frustrating to watch that especially with RISP. I cringe at the thought.

9. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2010 | 9:13 am

@ Corey Italiano:

I agree that he’s bound to come to earth at some point – and slump like every player does – but let’s not forget how important he’s been to this team while Tex, A-Rod, Granderson and Johnson have slumped April away.

Even if he hits .183 in May, he carried this team to a rare good start. We’ll still appreciate that when he starts rolling over pitches and grounding to 2nd :)

10. Corey Italiano
      April 30th, 2010 | 9:14 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      Realistically it’s gonna happen at some point…everyone has a slump at some point in the year.

11. YankCrank
      April 30th, 2010 | 9:15 am

@ Corey Italiano:

And that was just a lengthy way for me to say, “Agreed.” haha

12. Corey Italiano
      April 30th, 2010 | 9:15 am

YankCrank wrote:

I agree that you will and I will… but you know the lemmings of fans that this team has…

13. BOHAN
      April 30th, 2010 | 2:25 pm

Pat F wrote:

after the game i looked at some numbers and the pitching staff is twice as good when cervelli is behind the plate. since NJ isnt hitting right now when posada comes back why dont they use him as the DH and let cervelli catch for a bit. me might be able to get a pretty damn good win streak going. i dont have the numbers on me right now but the staffs ERA was something like 2.35 when cervelli was catching and around 4.40 or 4.50 when psada is catching granted its a small sample size for cervelli but those are pretty damn good numbers. and i feel like i just see a different confidence in the pitchers body language on the mound when cervelli is back there. they work quick and throw strikes.