• May Day For Yankees Javy Vazquez

Posted by on May 1st, 2010 · Comments (12)

Right about now, I’m not even sure that Vazquez could beat a baseball team made out of the Emma Willard School (for girls) May Pole Dancers…and, no, I don’t mean the exciting pole dancers

Comments on May Day For Yankees Javy Vazquez

1. jrk
      May 1st, 2010 | 8:17 pm

How many more poor starts until the Yankees give Mitre or Aceves a shot in the rotation?
      I do not think that should be done yet – I think you have to give Javy some more time to work this out, but I’m undecided on how much time.

What do you guys think?

2. May 1st, 2010 | 8:23 pm

Oh, he’s going to get a lot more chances. This is not Kei Igawa. I expect him to get another month’s worth of starts, probably more, before the Yankees come close to making a change.

3. mondoas
      May 1st, 2010 | 8:49 pm

This was Jackasshman’s doing so he’s going to get every inch he can out of Vazquez so he won’t continue to look stupid because the month of April, even though the Yankees have a winning record, is beginning to show that his BIG MOVES were CRAP!!

4. butchie22
      May 1st, 2010 | 9:13 pm

MR Junior Varsity is Cash Man’s Folly alright. I liked how certain suckers were fooled by his performance last year. He was pitching for no pressure Atlanta and pitched lights out. However we saw him wilt under the bright lights of Broadway and even still people were hoodwinked that he could pitch here after the debacle of 04. Yes, that was after he gave some bullshit excuse 5 bloody years after the fact. Now what is it…his mechanics? That’s rubbish,it’s mental. He’s soft he can’t pitch here and that’s that. Ya know I wonder if Cash Man will bring in Carl The American Idle next year citing his impressive numbers for The Team Formerly Known as The Senators :The Twinkies!

@JRK, SL is right. Brainless Cash Man brought him back despite common wisdom and will trot him out there until it becomes too much. IMO, it already has. He gave up 5 runs taking The Yanks out of the game when facing a pretty good pitcher,Danks. Yes, they mounted an epic comeback that resulted in a loss BUT when your 4th starter pitches worse than a AAAA mop up guy without endurance, then the relievers get burned out and that’s not a good thing.

May 1st, 2010 | 9:31 pm

*facepalm*

6. Evan3457
      May 2nd, 2010 | 1:05 am

Two weeks. It’ll turn in two weeks or so. That’s what I think, anyway.

7. May 2nd, 2010 | 7:31 am

FWIW. when the trade was made, I thought “Well, he should be able to make 30 starts, give you 200 IP, and have a league average ERA.”

So, in that respect, even I am surprised to see Vazquez do so poorly.

It really does seem like this thing has gotten into his head.

May 2nd, 2010 | 11:43 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

It really does seem like this thing has gotten into his head.

I figured 30/200 too.

Given that Vazquez has also struggled on the road, I wouldn’t necessarily chalk it up to anything getting into his head. I checked the game thread at Bronx Banter, was his velocity up? It was mentioned that it was, though I don’t know with variances in stadium guns and all that jazz.

9. Corey Italiano
      May 2nd, 2010 | 12:01 pm

@ Raf:
      I missed this game (was at the beach). After watching most of his spring outings, I just don’t understand how he could go from being so good to this. I’m still in the he’ll turn it around camp.

10. ken
      May 2nd, 2010 | 12:06 pm

The only upside is that when we finally accept the fact that this is the reincarnation of Ed Whitson, the team won’t have to eat the contract (see: Kei Igawa). Vazquez has value in the NL and could be traded for more than garbage.

May 2nd, 2010 | 12:37 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I’m still in the he’ll turn it around camp.

As am I, based on his track record. 2009 wasn’t representative of his career, and neither is his 2010 so far. We’ll see how it goes.

12. ken
      May 2nd, 2010 | 12:42 pm

I’m still in the he’ll turn it around camp.

As was I until I watched yesterday’s game. His body language said “Get me out of here.” He looked scared. Used off-speed pitches to set up the fastball. Took long time between pitches. No pace to his game.

I hope I’m wrong but he could not look worse right now.