• Well, On The Bright-Side, It Was 80% Of A Sellout

Posted by on May 3rd, 2010 · Comments (12)

Lonn Trost, this Bud’s for you.

Via Ross

With tonight’s announced attendance of 41,571, the Yankees have set a new record low attendance at [new] Yankee Stadium. The previous low was on 4/21/09 when the Yankees drew only 42,065 on a drizzly and cold night for a game against the A’s.

Looks like it’s going to be a long time before the Yankees ever draw 50,000 for a regular season game again.

Comments on Well, On The Bright-Side, It Was 80% Of A Sellout

1. MJ Recanati
      May 3rd, 2010 | 11:40 pm

The Yanks had over 50,000 for Game 2 of the ALDS, Game 6 of the ALCS and all three home games in the World Series (Games 1, 2 and 6). So, if by “long time” you mean just last season, then, yeah…

2. May 3rd, 2010 | 11:44 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Dude- I wrote:

…Yankees ever draw 50,000 for a regular season game again.

3. MJ Recanati
      May 3rd, 2010 | 11:59 pm

Why would it matter if they didn’t draw 50,000 for a regular season game? It doesn’t make one iota of difference if there are 45,000 there or 50,000 there.

4. Tresh Fan
      May 4th, 2010 | 12:15 am

Remember when attendance figures actually mattered? Back in the day when most of a team’s revenue came from gate receipts? Even better, do you remember when drawing one million fans was the mark of a successful franchise? and drawing TWO million made you one of two or three most successful clubs? Now I couldn’t even tell you who led the majors in attendance last year—only that it probably wasn’t the Yankees because, as we’ve read here, no one was coming to their games.

5. Evan3457
      May 4th, 2010 | 2:02 am

High supply, low demand, means… :)

6. MJ Recanati
      May 4th, 2010 | 7:00 am

@ Tresh Fan:
      Yanks were 2nd in attendance last year to the LA Dodgers by a little less than 100,000 overall fans.

7. clintfsu813
      May 4th, 2010 | 7:52 am

Well we could always shrink our stadium down to 30,000 and sell out every game….

8. May 4th, 2010 | 9:00 am

If the Steinbrenners made “proletariat” ticket prices what they were in Yankee Stadium 2, I’m more than certain we’d hit 50,000 again.

Of course, we would have to send mass messages to the city of New York. I’m fairly certain that the pricing practices the Steinbrenners and their financial consultants implemented last year turned a lot of proletariat NYers away.

Should I elaborate on what seats are proletariat/working class seats or do we all have a mutual understanding and general idea of seating? I’m too lazy to go to the seating charts and I have class soon.

9. MJ Recanati
      May 4th, 2010 | 9:19 am

@ Thomas Tu:
      Fundamentally, however, prices will reset themselves as supply and demand dictate. If “proletariat” seating is at capacity (or nearly so) then that class of seating is well-priced in the market.

I think the issue has always been the prices being charged in premium seating sections, not the seats for “main street.” The economic laws of price theory will impact premium seating just as soon as Yankee executives deem undersold seats intolerable.

In other words, why the hell do we care about this issue? If the Yankees are satisfied with the current prices, then we should be also.

10. Evan3457
      May 4th, 2010 | 11:20 am

Right as I type this at a ticket broker who shall be nameless, there are tickets in Grandstand Outfield and Grandstand Infield for $3.

Large % “bargains” off face value elsewhere in the Stadium.

The free market works again.

11. May 4th, 2010 | 11:50 am

@ MJ Recanati:

1) I only care because we lost the battle of attendance figures to the Dodgers and Phillies.

I am irrational, I know.

2) How many seats in Yankee Stadium are considered “Premium” seats? If the ratio of non-premium to premium is high enough, then if the non-premium tickets can be sold at prices to promote max capacity in the non-premium seating, then we can find a mathematical/financially optimal solution in the premium seats to hit 4 Mill again. I think.

If what I said makes no sense or is utterly useless, I apologize.

12. clintfsu813
      May 4th, 2010 | 11:55 am

@ Thomas Tu:
      The Phillies? I thought MJ said the Yanks were 2nd in attendance last year to the LA Dodgers by a little less than 100,000 overall fans?