• No, They Wouldn’t, Would They?

Posted by on May 5th, 2010 · Comments (10)

It’s looking more and more like the Red Sox may release David Ortiz. What a difference three years makes, huh?

Here’s a wild thought: Say Nick Johnson continues to struggle or ends up on the D.L., and Big Papi is “out there” for anyone to pick up…would the Yankees make a move and replace Johnson with Ortiz?

How strange would that be…seeing Ortiz in a Yankees uniform?

It would sort be like when New York picked up George Scott in 1979 and John Mayberry in 1982. And, it would probably work out just as well as those two moves did – meaning badly.

Comments on No, They Wouldn’t, Would They?

1. clintfsu813
      May 5th, 2010 | 10:20 am

Not gonna happen. Not no way, not no how.

2. YankCrank
      May 5th, 2010 | 10:29 am

—-

If I have a vote on what happens if Nick Johnson hits the DL, my vote goes towards giving Posada a hell-of-a-lot of days in the DH spot and letting Cervelli catch more.

I can hit better than Ortiz at this point. No way.

May 5th, 2010 | 10:51 am

I’m sure they could, or they would, but if Ortiz can’t get around on the inside pitch anymore, it wouldn’t make sense to sign him. I would consider it if there were an overwhelming number of injuries, though.

4. JeremyM
      May 5th, 2010 | 10:53 am

Pedroia is a nut. Did you see his quote in there: “A couple of years ago, I was hitting .170 and everyone was ready to kill me too. What happened? Laser show so relax.”

Laser show so relax. I love it.

5. Tresh Fan
      May 5th, 2010 | 10:54 am

Ortiz in a Yankees uniform? Didn’t ESPN run an ad like that earlier this year?

6. GDH
      May 5th, 2010 | 10:56 am

@ YankCrank:
      Crank, hindsight is 20-20, of course, but other than re-signing Matsui or Damon, that’s the way it should have been anyway. There are enough guys on the team who could use a spell, especially Jorge who hits great but is a sieve behind he plate. It also opens up a spot for another kid to try out in the bigs. Either way I don’t think they agonize too much over Nickie not doing the trick.

May 5th, 2010 | 10:57 am

Raf wrote:

It should also be noted that his primary and secondary numbers have been declining the past few years

8. satchel
      May 5th, 2010 | 11:09 am

If Ortiz isn’t good enough to help the Red Sox, how could he help the Yankees, whose offense is much stronger?

9. May 5th, 2010 | 11:16 am

The following people would be better DH options for the Yankees at this point:

David Justice