• Going Green

Posted by on May 13th, 2010 · Comments (11)

In what’s now close to nine years ago, I bought an Andy Pettitte 2001 American League All-Star Batting Practice Jersey.

It was sort of an impulse purchase. But, not completely. I’ve always been a big fan of Pettitte. And, I thought this would be a unique item to own.

As it turns out, the jersey is rather distinctive. Andy’s only been named to two All-Star squads (in 1996 and 2001). And, this BP shirt is from the only All-Star Game where he’s made an appearance in the game.

The funny thing is…in the near decade that I’ve owned this jersey…I’ve only worn it a few times. Seriously, probably less than five. Initially, I was trying to keep it pristine (for some opaque reason). But, later, it was because the shirt is somewhat confusing on the eye.

Why is it visually disconcerting? First, the jersey is Seattle Mariners green and has a small Mariners logo on the front – as they were the host team in 2001. Secondly it’s says “American” across the chest – with the only “Yankees” mention being a Bat-in-the-Hat patch on the right sleeve and “Pettitte” with the number 46 on the back.

The few times I thought about wearing it to Yankee Stadium, I pretty much stopped in my tracks right out of the chute because it just seemed too odd to go to a Yankees game in a BP jersey that was Mariners green.

However, recently, I wore the jersey to a minor league baseball game and was surprised that a couple of guys – who were complete strangers – went out of their way to approach me and comment on the shirt. I guess there are more Andy Pettitte fans out there than meets the eye? And, now, I’m thinking it’s time to wear this one more often.

How about you? Own any Yankees gear that you wore less than you expected or that you only started to wear until you had it for several years?

Comments on Going Green

1. clintfsu813
      May 14th, 2010 | 8:55 am

I only wear my Authentic #2 Jersey to actual games I attend. I’ve NEVER wore it just hangin out or about the town. This has equalled to less than 10 wearings.

2. G.I. Joey
      May 14th, 2010 | 9:03 am

I bought a grey majestic jacket last year with the scripted logo on the front and Bat-in-the-Hat patch on the arm, which are both also greyed out. I thought it was really unique and I snagged it before the season last year thinking I was going to wear it to all the April games I attended and then again in October. Turns out I only wore it on Opening Day and Game 6 of the WS. Full circle.

3. YankCrank
      May 14th, 2010 | 11:13 am

I’m a player t-shirt guy, never invested in a jersey because idk where i’d wear it.

With the amount of tailgating, drinking and eating I do at Yankee games, no way I wear a Yankee jersey there either.

4. May 14th, 2010 | 12:17 pm

FWIW, I’ve always found the jersey/uni-top an odd thing in terms of when to wear.

It’s too hot to wear it in June, July and August. T-shirts are better.

And, in April, September, October – while it’s cool enough to wear it, it’s also often cold enough to require a jacket too. And, you’re not going to want to tuck a jersey into your pants. So, then it looks odd to have it hanging out under your jacket. Also, why wear it if it’s hidden by a jacket?

Basically, it’s almost just something to wear in May…most of the time…when going to games. And, often, then, it’s better to use/wear it more like a light-jacket thing.

5. G.I. Joey
      May 14th, 2010 | 12:29 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I’ve always found you basically have three choices when wearing the jersey in cold weather. The first is to wear it over a hooded sweatshirt, which can sometimes make you look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. The second is to wear a jacket over it, which looks less weird especially if you have the jacket open (downside is that the number is totally hidden). The third is to wear one of those BP longsleeve therma-wear shirts underneath, but I’ve found this never does the trick in terms of warmth.

6. Tresh Fan
      May 14th, 2010 | 12:47 pm

Wait…is this the actual jersey Pettitte wore during the BP session? If so, why are you wearing it anywhere? Or is this a replica of the Mariner’s green All Star BP session jersey with Pettitte’s name and number sold after the 2001 game? If so, you may have one of only two in private collections, so why are you wearing it anywhere?

7. May 14th, 2010 | 12:56 pm

@ Tresh Fan: LOL. It’s a replica. You really think it wasn’t a hot seller? ;-)

8. May 14th, 2010 | 12:59 pm

@ G.I. Joey:

Yeah, it’s a tough one. That said, doesn’t stop me from getting them. I have a home #21, for years now. And, I’m about to get another #46.

I have a friend who knows a guy who can get them for less than 1/2 what you pay in a store. I suspect they fell off a truck…

9. Corey Italiano
      May 14th, 2010 | 1:14 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      there’s this site :

completely legit (as in you get what you want), I’ve gotten a jersey from it.

10. Jake1
      May 14th, 2010 | 1:38 pm

im a player shirt guy too

May 14th, 2010 | 1:44 pm

I tend to lean towards Yankee hoodies, with maybe an occasional t-shirt.